What fork caps are these? Stock?

Obi-VFR’ers…

I bought this 1997 VFR750 bike with bar risers, but the fork caps look non-OEM, or non-stock?  And they’re starting to rust.  What the what?

Questions…

1. Anyone know what these are?  
  2. Are they stock?
  3. can someone upload a non-riser stock fork cap photo please?

Thanks y’all!

Nozz

EF60361C-106F-46BE-AE55-77A4DF384A04.jpeg

50D7E579-A1F0-4CB0-8F44-0D6B1745DABD.jpeg

DDEAAFA3-8A40-472D-A001-D955903AEC82.jpeg

• Nozz changed the title to What fork caps are these? Stock?
  • Member Contributer

Someone put Genmar risers on, fit under the handlebar clamps, and this is just a top cap which is pushed in from the top of the clamp. The idea is, is to increase the clamping area of the handlebar clamp.

Loosen clamp bolts and you can pull out that cover, you'll see your normal fork tops then.

19 hours ago, Bren said:

Someone put Genmar risers on, fit under the handlebar clamps, and this is just a top cap which is pushed in from the top of the clamp. The idea is, is to increase the clamping area of the handlebar clamp.

Loosen clamp bolts and you can pull out that cover, you'll see your normal fork tops then.

Ahhh, thank you sir!

On 3/5/2023 at 9:45 AM, Bren said:

I have these on my VFR 800 but the rust spots on my caps are really annoying. I just don't know if it's safe enough to remove because it reduces that clamping force...

• Member Contributer

Don't know either, seems they're necessary. 

Could always take them out, clean them up and spray them to stop the rust?

• Member Contributer

Do you really think that they add structural integrity? Isn't the threaded fork cap 1" or so below that? Handlebar bolt torque is 26 Nm...which is nearly nothing. I think that they're there to keep grime out. Get something rubber that fits and wrap it up!

• Member Contributer

load on bar-clamps is really low, since it only transmit force needed to turn forks.

On 3/6/2023 at 4:57 PM, Bren said:

Don't know either, seems they're necessary. 

Could always take them out, clean them up and spray them to stop the rust?

They're fairly light actually now that I think of them...they probably don't take much, if any torque, they're basically a step up from aluminium foil. They do keep the rain from lodging though.

• Member Contributer

Some bar spacers do not replicate the locating pin feature of the OEM handlebars--the original GenMars I once had did do this, however.

Low torque should still be fine if the bars are still prevented from rotating by a pin, but if that is not there I would be wary about compromising the clamping force any more than it already is.  Steering is one thing; heavy braking to avoid impact is quite another!

The steel end cap is just cosmetic, but the short length of steel tubing it sits in is probably there to keep the clamping force evenly distributed around what remains of the clamping circumference of the fork top.  I wouldn't remove it.  IIRC, the original GenMars did not include the tube (or the end cap), so this may have been added to the kits later to address a problem (just speculation)?

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

The pin is a safety. Race/track bikes have no pin. They seem to do fine riding under agression...and crashing and still working fine. 

• Member Contributer

Sand down and add some "gypsy chrome" on top :laugh:

Rust-Oleum Stops Rust 11 oz. Bright Coat Metallic Chrome Spray Paint  7718830 - The Home Depot

Archived