Europe

• Member Contributer

I've just returned from a 3 week, whirlwind tour of a number of European cities. The motorcycling scene is certainly different to what I am used to in New Zealand.

Paris was dominated by big, fast scooters, Burgmans and Tmax's and the like often with loud pipes and being ridden assertively through the traffic. Also notable were the electric scooters, and these are surprisingly intimidating when they bear down on you in near silence when you mis-timed a pedestrian crossing. There were few small capacity road bikes to be seen but plenty of large bikes like R1250s, FJRs and Goldwings. I saw one poor neglected VFR parked up. Even the police ride their FJRs and R1250s with complete authority and you'd better be prepared to jump clear when they run red lights while the pedestrian crossing lights are on...

The Italian cities were full of smaller scooters and given the traffic density, narrow streets and overall slow pace, that makes some sense. I saw very few Ducatis although naturally the Bologna police had Multistradas for patrol, and in Rome I saw the Guzzi V85TT in LEO guise.

The Netherlands is bicycle territory, and in one city I stayed in (Delft) the car was definitely lowest man on the totem, the order being bicycles, pedestrians, scooters and then cars. That's what you get when there is a terrific public transport system and compact high density towns.

I spent a day in central London and saw more mid-capacity bikes than anywhere else, but the bizarre thing was how light the traffic was. There were very few cars, and what there were, were predominantly electric or hybrid. I guess this is the result of the congestion charges and the low emissions zone.

I'm glad to be back home now, but not really enjoying the heavy traffic where I live. I am already missing the high speed trains (best speed I saw was 314km/hr between Paris and Zurich); it is insanely satisfying looking out the window when there is a motorway alongside and whispering past all the traffic like it is standing still. 

IMG_3920.JPG

IMG_4145.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Never been to Rome but Bologna is gorgeous. I kinda feel like it's where I should've been born haha! 

Sounds like a great trip....as an Irishman I am also jealous of French train services!

• 1 month later...

Been to Paris back In 1997, then there was quit a lot of bikes i different cc on the streets, had a Kawa GPZ500S (EX500) back then. 2001 been To north Italy, fantastic roads as views! Had a 5th gen vfr then and trip was made whit 2 members from this board. 2006 been to New Zealand! Only north Island, watching international six day enduro motorcycle event as drive around, nyt much motorcycles seen teen!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
13 hours ago, RichardReynolds said:

Lucky Jet is an exciting gambling game that will take you to the world of speed and adventure. This game combines exciting gameplay mechanics with exciting rewards.

In Lucky Jet, you will control your own jet plane as you travel across a large virtual world. Your task is to fly through different levels and complete various tasks such as collecting coins, avoiding obstacles and defeating enemies. Each level offers new challenges and dangers to overcome.

The game offers a variety of gambling slots that can be unlocked as you progress through the game. Each slot has its own characteristics and chances of winning, which makes the game even more interesting and exciting. You have to develop your own game strategy, choose the most profitable slot and try your luck.

Lucky Jet also offers a network game mode where you can compete with other players from around the world. Share your achievements, compete for the first places in the ranking and receive honorable awards.

Immerse yourself in the exciting world of speed and excitement with Lucky Jet. Ready to take control in your own hands and go on an unforgettable journey? Get ready for action, test your skills and become a real pilot!

Reported. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

In Antalya, Turkey, those electric scooters come up behind you in silence ON THE SIDEWALK. I almost needed a change of underwear the first time it happened to me.

Sounds like you had an enjoyable trip.

Archived