Display Dead

interceptor69

• Member Contributer

Just uncovered the '98 VFR and started her then noticed the display wasn't working (it's almost 80 here today!)/  Checked all the fuses under the seat and they were fine.  Any ideas what might be wrong?  Can live w/o the odometer but need to know fuel load...

Thanks in advance.

The display is powered through the "clock" fuse.  That makes it's way to the dash through the blue connector on the back of the instrument cluster.  Check the wiring schematic.  You'll have to pull the front fairing off to get to it.  The connector interface isn't the best, and I've had issues with poor connections at this location.  Be it clock resets on starting or non-functional indicator lights. 

Pull the connector and check for power on the clock pin on the blue connector.  If there, clean connector and receiving socket with a contact cleaner like Deoxit before putting it back together.  Don't scrub those copper traces on the female end of the connection.  If that still doesn't get the display back you may need to follow the trace circuit on the flex membrane that covers the whole back of the instrument cluster.

• Member Contributer

Thanks.  Have never pulled the front fairing-that will be an interesting endeavor.  I also noticed after I turned the bike off and started it a few minutes later to move it the high beams no longer work and they worked, along w/ the blinkers, brake light, etc prior to the restart.  I hope I don't have an electrical gremlin.  I had it on a trickle charger all winter but our power has gone off and on more than 10 times this winter.  Is it possible the charger somehow damaged the electrical system when the power came back on?  The charger will charge 6 or 12 V batteries and I have to set it to 12 V. 

• Member Contributer

Really unlikely. Start with the simple stuff before diving into the extremes. 

The front fairing isn't too bad, just follow the steps in the service manual.  Don't forget to unplug the headlights and turn signals before you try and pull it.  Take note of the two plastic locating nipples by the headlight assembly as you pull it.  They slide into rubber bushings below the instrument cluster and help center the whole assembly.

The high beams could simply be a dirty headlight switch that needs attention, that can be a common issue with any bike.  I'm curious though, you said you uncovered the VFR.  Was that just a figure of speech, or did you literally just pull a cover off the bike?  Depending on the cover, they can do a great job of trapping in moisture.  Moisture getting into unsealed electrical connectors leads to oxidation.  Oxidation causes poor connections and can lead to all sorts of electrical gremlins.  All connectors in the VFR wiring harness with maybe the exception of the ones at the ECU and maybe the injectors aren't sealed.

• Member Contributer
On 2/28/2023 at 6:29 PM, vfrgiving said:

The front fairing isn't too bad, just follow the steps in the service manual.  Don't forget to unplug the headlights and turn signals before you try and pull it.  Take note of the two plastic locating nipples by the headlight assembly as you pull it.  They slide into rubber bushings below the instrument cluster and help center the whole assembly.

The high beams could simply be a dirty headlight switch that needs attention, that can be a common issue with any bike.  I'm curious though, you said you uncovered the VFR.  Was that just a figure of speech, or did you literally just pull a cover off the bike?  Depending on the cover, they can do a great job of trapping in moisture.  Moisture getting into unsealed electrical connectors leads to oxidation.  Oxidation causes poor connections and can lead to all sorts of electrical gremlins.  All connectors in the VFR wiring harness with maybe the exception of the ones at the ECU and maybe the injectors aren't sealed.

Yes I meant literally uncovered it after a long, wet, cold winter.  That may be the issue-trapped moisture.  I noticed some beaded moisture on the tank when I pulled the cover off.  Don't have a covered garage so have to protect it the best I can.  Thanks for all the info/advice.  I'll try to tackle the fairing removal this weekend.

4 hours ago, interceptor69 said:

Yes I meant literally uncovered it after a long, wet, cold winter.  That may be the issue-trapped moisture.  I noticed some beaded moisture on the tank when I pulled the cover off.  Don't have a covered garage so have to protect it the best I can.

How does inside the tank look?  I once left a bike covered (in a parking garage) for about a year due to inactivity after an accident.  I came back to the inside of the tank being rusted.  Most of that was my fault for not filling with ethanol free before the hibernation, but the rest of the bike looked somewhat gross as well under that full cover.  Your living arrangements are none of my business, but I would try and find another solution if possible.  The best condition would be to keep the bike stored heated above dew point, but that doesn't sound like an option.  I think a full cover that tightly hugs the bike is the worst offender for inviting moisture to stay around.  I no longer use them.  I use a half cover when out and about mainly to keep UV off the important stuff.  Maybe an option could be a small tent shed with some vent openings?  They're relatively inexpensive and can easily house a motorcycle.  Toss in a cheap shop fan on an extension cord to keep air moving through.

You can also help the connectors by keeping out moisture.  I wouldn't use dielectric grease on the instrument cluster connectors, but something like Ox-gard used sparingly on connector pins after cleaning with a contact cleaner can greatly help in the future.

• Member Contributer

The inside of the tank is still shiny and no signs of rust.  I typically only use non ethanol gas.  My next door neighbor has one of those portable tents in his yard.  I may look into one of those.  Will get some ox-gard.  Thanks. 

• Member Contributer

I lucked out.  Went out and uncovered the bike this morning and let it sit in the sun for a few hours.  Turned the key on and the display lit up-got excited but when I started it up the display went dead again.  Left it for another few hours and the display worked fine.  It must be all the moisture getting trapped under the cover, even though it is vented.  I barely escaped removing the front cowl...for now.  Thanks for all the help-will ride tomorrow for the 1st time this year-supposed to be 70 degrees F!

• Member Contributer

You probably know this, but covers are generally pretty terrible for vehicles due to the moisture that stays underneath. Better to just put it under something if you can't get it in doors. 

One step further is external towing with a cover on...which beats the paint completely off. 🙂

11 hours ago, interceptor69 said:

I lucked out.  Went out and uncovered the bike this morning and let it sit in the sun for a few hours.  Turned the key on and the display lit up-got excited but when I started it up the display went dead again.  Left it for another few hours and the display worked fine.  It must be all the moisture getting trapped under the cover, even though it is vented.  I barely escaped removing the front cowl...for now.  Thanks for all the help-will ride tomorrow for the 1st time this year-supposed to be 70 degrees F!

That definitely sounds like a classic intermittent connection at the dash connector.  My last go around with that connector was the left turn signal indicator a few weeks ago.  The bulb started working off and on.  When it wasn't lit, I could physically tap the instrument cluster with my fingers and the vibrations would get it working again.  I pulled the connector and cleaned it.  Bulb has been trouble free since.

• Member Contributer
3 minutes ago, vfrgiving said:

That definitely sounds like a classic intermittent connection at the dash connector.  My last go around with that connector was the left turn signal indicator a few weeks ago.  The bulb started working off and on.  When it wasn't lit, I could physically tap the instrument cluster with my fingers and the vibrations would get it working again.  I pulled the connector and cleaned it.  Bulb has been trouble free since.

Yeah, I'm in the process  of selling my house and plan on buying a house w/ a garage where I can work on the bike and store it properly.  I plan on taking the front fairing off and cleaning all the connectors as they have to corroding at this point-25 years is an long time in Tennessee weather.  Again, thanks for the replies.  Hope it stays on, otherwise I won't know how much gas I have left!

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

After removing the front fairing, spraying all the plugs/sockets I could reach with contact cleaner I put it all back together and still the display wasn't working.  I parked it overnight and noticed the next morning the display was working again.  It worked for several weeks then stopped after hitting a pothole at high speed.  I parked it, hooked it to the battery charger and the next weekend when I uncovered it the display was working again.  I'm not sure what to think.  It worked from then on (appx 1 month) until yesterday during a 100+ mile ride I noticed on the way home the display was dark again.  I plugged the charger up and this AM nothing... Is it possible there is a grounding issue?  I checked all the fuses and sprayed contact cleaner into the sockets and onto the prongs so I don't believe it's a fuse.  Any suggestions?

• Member Contributer

Does sound like one of the tracks on the back of the display has an intermittent fault, it is  a fairly common issue on these bikes. Question, do you have the small cover plate under the front nose fairing? Many have been lost over time and never replaced. It's right over the front mudguard and water, moisture etc can get flung up there while driving. 

Sorry, but if i were you I'd be taking the front fairing off again and checking the tracks on the pcb for breaks, they can be bridged to fix them.

Good luck.

• Member Contributer
13 minutes ago, Bren said:

Does sound like one of the tracks on the back of the display has an intermittent fault, it is  a fairly common issue on these bikes. Question, do you have the small cover plate under the front nose fairing? Many have been lost over time and never replaced. It's right over the front mudguard and water, moisture etc can get flung up there while driving. 

Sorry, but if i were you I'd be taking the front fairing off again and checking the tracks on the pcb for breaks, they can be bridged to fix them.

Good luck.

Thanks-yes I still have the cover.  The only reason I like the display is knowing how much fuel I have and on hot days, the coolant temp.  Is there any known fix for this fault?

As Bren said, breaks in the copper tracing can be bridged with jumper wire.  I don't know who this is, but there's an old video on YouTube showing this repair.  The scratching he's doing with the utility blade is to remove the solder resist coating and expose the bare copper he wants to solder to.

Archived