Look what I just picked up.

Ziffer

• Member Contributer

Awesome!! 

Does it run? Someone just gave me an '87 VFR700 too!!  From date-code on brand-new rear tyre, it's been sitting for 19-years!!!

uc?export=download&id=1spLoxHVCw36xN8B1x

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Ziffer said:

00F0F_jNsSj7J7EyR_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Okay, it's not in the greatest shape, but hey, $300.

1987 VFR700.

I saw that when it popped up.  87, so parts wise not the best for me, mine are all 86.  My buddy with an 87 doesn't quite understand the importance of local parts bikes when they become available when you own 35 year old machines.  

What exhaust is on it?

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

Awesome!! 

Does it run? Someone just gave me an '87 VFR700 too!!  From date-code on brand-new rear tyre, it's been sitting for 19-years!!!

Slapped on the "NO FEAR" sticker the same day the rear tire was put on!  Is the cowl around the taillight still in one piece?

• Member Contributer

Yes, everything's original and intact. Rear-seat needs new foam & recoverying. I suspect fuel-pump, maybe relay. Send carbs to squirrelman for restoration. Tank is rusted from being exposed all this time with no cap. Gonna de-rust with electrolysis and then nickel-coat it. No peely plastic coatings allowed.

Crazy man. I don't understand how people have these bikes, from new, and they are pushed aside... ya see listings all the time and wonder, how the ...? 
kudos on the deal!

danno, yours looks like it has - air force tabs - on it?

• Member Contributer
4 minutes ago, 3rdgenred said:

Crazy man. I don't understand how people have these bikes, from new, and they are pushed aside... ya see listings all the time and wonder, how the ...?

"The wife said no."

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

Awesome!! 

"Gave you!" Jeez, you kinda took the steam outta what I thought was a good price. And yours looks like it's more complete and in better shape.

Supposedly, It has a rebuilt engine, and just needs the carbs cleaned to get it running. We'll see. It has a bit of a rats nest for an electrical system. 

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

I saw that when it popped up.  87, so parts wise not the best for me, mine are all 86.  My buddy with an 87 doesn't quite understand the importance of local parts bikes when they become available when you own 35 year old machines.  

What exhaust is on it?

I thought the '86-'87 were pretty close to the same thing...?

I'm not sure what exhaust is on it. The guy mentioned something about it, but I'd already bought it and figured I'd figure it out when I got home. Plus, it was raining. Now that I'm home, it's been snowing.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Captain 80s said:

"The wife said no."

Or, "I forgot to empty the carbs before winter, now it won't start and I don't have time, or know what I'm doing."

• Member Contributer
28 minutes ago, Ziffer said:

I thought the '86-'87 were pretty close to the same thing...?

Visually yes.  There are little differences that can make some parts not compatible.  The biggest being a change from Analog Ignition to Digital.

• Member Contributer
29 minutes ago, Ziffer said:

"I forgot to empty the carbs before winter, now it won't start and I don't have time, or know what I'm doing."

I'll just set the gas cap down on top of the wood pile and deal with this never.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

I'll just set the gas cap down on top of the wood pile and deal with this never.

:laughing6-hehe:

Here's one:

"It was a great running bike when I parked it. Then I picked up a crack pipe... I don't remember much after that."

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, 3rdgenred said:

kudos on the deal!

danno, yours looks like it has - air force tabs - on it?

Yes, it came from Luke AFB in Litchfield, AZ. Right next to AMP - Arizona Motorsports Park track! There's jets taking off all day long, and neighbors are complaining about noise from track? We have 96db sound limit! Ridiculous!!!!

https://youtu.be/cKj4kzc5OCo

https://youtu.be/laRazL1aCYE

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, Ziffer said:

"Gave you!" Jeez, you kinda took the steam outta what I thought was a good price. And yours looks like it's more complete and in better shape.

Supposedly, It has a rebuilt engine, and just needs the carbs cleaned to get it running. We'll see. It has a bit of a rats nest for an electrical system. 

Sorry, didn't mean to thread-jack! 😞
Wiring can be pain, if you need me to trace any wiring on mine, lmk. Fully factory configuration as far as I can tell.

Archived