Third Gen to Eighth Gen - good idea?

RedNineOne

Hi all. I have a lovely old Third Gen 750FM,* but I'm considering an Eighth gen VFR800FH. Has anyone made a similar move? All good or bad idea? 

What's behind this Q - I picked up the 750 in late 2019 from a mate. 50000 miles on the clock. A decent runner, but likewise a fair bit of overhaul required, and I've been over most of it in the last ~3 years. It's been good fun, I enjoy working on it when I get the time, and I can really say I've had most bits apart. And it's a blast to thrash down a twisty, lumpy British B-road with that wonderful engine, as much as longer trips are fun too. I did a 1000 mile long weekend around Scotland on it last year. And that was where the minor cracks appeared in it's otherwise untouchable image - it was all just a bit hard work at times, no one thing in particular, but the 1990's ride quality, the slightly underpowered aging engine, things being a little hard work at times keeping pace with mates on things like SuperDuke GTs etc, Basically, despite putting in a credible performance, the old girl was showing her age. So now I'm wondering about an Eighth Gen and grabbing a low miler whilst there's still a few about with a view to having a longer term more modern Sport Tourer. And both bits of that S-T equation are really important to me - I like a Sunday B-road fast blast with mates, as much as some relaxed touring, but I prize comfy ergos / ride quality and that V4 loveliness for both. Would you say a jump from Third to Eighth gen is going to be refined progress or a bit of disappointment / regret? How is the VTEC transition on the latest model?

(The Third Gen owes me nothing, and I could possibly get the Eighth Gen as well and keep both bikes, but I still NEED the Eighth Gen to be a 'good' bike for my needs irrespective, and the best way for me to look at that is in comparing it to the Third Gen.). Thoughts appreciated 🙂 Thanks.  (*- I'm in Lancs UK these days, not the Cotswolds as per the linked post)

• RedNineOne changed the title to Third Gen to Eighth Gen - good idea?
  • Member Contributer

Best way I guess is to sort a test ride.

I've never ridden a 3rd Gen so I cannot answer the question but more modern suspension & brakes, LED lights etc would be better on the 8th I'd guess.

• Member Contributer

Besides missing the "character" the 3rg Gen engine has, as long as the ergos fit you, it will likely be an improvement everywhere.

I agree with Captain 80's. Electronics instead of carbs make it easier. As a 3rd gen lovvah, i'm never getting rid of them, but I like having that old school muscle around. If you have a place to keep them, then just spring for the newer one and pull out the old one for brunch... 😉

Yep I'm trying to find a test ride one atm, bit harder now the model has finished and there's no dealer demos. Feeling rather annoyed with myself for not paying more attention to them a few years ago when they were still in dealers! Anyway, there's a couple of 2nd hand ones near me to enquire about 🙂

Reading these forums it seems there's lots of praise for the 8th gen as a good do-it-all bike, so that's a good start.

How do folks find the VTEC transition on it? perfect / subtle / invasive? 

Are there any particular go-to extras worth chasing? In particular is the quick shift any good? 

• Member Contributer

Vtec transition is much better than the previous model, at least it has been on my 2 Crossrunners (same engine).

Quick shift is excellent and recommended.

Luggage? If you use it. Hugger, fender extender, new end can. Depends on your tastes & requirements.

I've only ridden a 6th gen, but from what I've read the 8th gen only improved on what was already a great bike.  If you are happy with the ergonomics of your 3rd gen - and I'm assuming the 8th gen's ergos would be similar - I'm sure you'd love it.  Newer bike, better suspension, fuel injected, more reliable, factory luggage, many available farkles, etc.  I considered one myself before buying something completely different.  Good luck finding a nice one that's perfect for you, and hopefully you can get a test ride!

Only one way to find out!

I had a 3th gen and I still have a 5th gen and an 8th gen (allthough that is a crossrunner).

My favorite engine is the 8th gen vtec, but some people don't like them. Vtec transition is smooth-ish, but you really have to try yourself.

As for power, the 3th and 8th aren't far apart.

• Member Contributer
On 2/27/2023 at 7:11 AM, RedNineOne said:

but I still NEED the Eighth Gen to be a 'good' bike for my needs

...I've not ridden an 8th gen, but have owned two 3rd gens, 2 5th gens, and currently a 6th gen.

By comparison, the 3rd gens seemed to have a lower seat height and slightly lower 'bars, and didn't feel as light-footed as my 5th & 6th.

The 3rd had quite a bit less range than my 800's, especially my 6th gen. On long road trips my 3rd gen's averaged mid 40's mpg(hi 30's US), while my 6th gen is generally in the low/mid 50's ()high 40's US) and carries 3 more litres of fuel. The range difference is even bigger 'cause the VFR800s carry ½ a gallon more gas.

The 3rd gen engines are smoother than any of my 800s, with my 6th gen being the buzziest.

• 4 weeks later...

Update - I did manage to get a ride on an 8th gen. It was okaaay, but it didn't stir me enough to want one, leaving me a bit disappointed as I'd really hoped to like it. Visually it looked bigger and felt longer compared to a G3. I found the riding position odd - long in the reach, cramped in the legs (I later found that the dealer had put the seat in the low position - which I don't think helped this issue). The engine got a reasonable wriggle on once the VTEC was active, and the VTEC transition was pleasingly smooth, with a minor criticism that I thought the soulful sound of the V4 had been lost at lower revs before the VTEC kick in. The ride left me with the (possibly unfair) thought that Honda hadn't really moved the game on much apart from the obvious refinements like FI, clocks, LED lights, etc.. Which of course might be what Honda call moving the game on, but it just didn't engage me like the G3 does. 

So I don't currently think I'm going to replace an old VFR with a new VFR... but I'm tempted go find myself a Crossrunner to look at. Same great V4 engine in something that's trying to be a different bike, might just be different enough to draw me in.

• Member Contributer
54 minutes ago, RedNineOne said:

Update - I did manage to get a ride on an 8th gen. It was okaaay, but it didn't stir me enough to want one, leaving me a bit disappointed as I'd really hoped to like it. Visually it looked bigger and felt longer compared to a G3. I found the riding position odd - long in the reach, cramped in the legs (I later found that the dealer had put the seat in the low position - which I don't think helped this issue). The engine got a reasonable wriggle on once the VTEC was active, and the VTEC transition was pleasingly smooth, with a minor criticism that I thought the soulful sound of the V4 had been lost at lower revs before the VTEC kick in. The ride left me with the (possibly unfair) thought that Honda hadn't really moved the game on much apart from the obvious refinements like FI, clocks, LED lights, etc.. Which of course might be what Honda call moving the game on, but it just didn't engage me like the G3 does. 

So I don't currently think I'm going to replace an old VFR with a new VFR... but I'm tempted go find myself a Crossrunner to look at. Same great V4 engine in something that's trying to be a different bike, might just be different enough to draw me in.

Interesting, thanks. I suppose if Honda changed the bike/engine that much then it wouldn't be a VFR? Yr right, everything else is better on the 8th Gen but the engine suffers from all the Euro emission strangulations so it's no surprise there's no WoW factor compared to an earlier gen.

You should try the Crossie though, I do love mine.

• Member Contributer

Might try and get a ride on a 1998 to 2001.  Gear driven cam goodness with FI.   But regardless of how "great" the system works, I fucking HATE Linked Brakes.  And yes, I've ridden with it on many different Honda models.  It works great.  Keep it on your Gold Wing, stay the fuck away from my VFR (and ST).   

• Member Contributer

Not to (re)light any fires...but what don't you like? 

I had that feeling after reading so many posts before I bought my '99. I'm on my third now and honestly, I never even notice them, including on gravel roads.

• Member Contributer

Like I said, the system works great.  It's just overly complex and adds weight to a SPORT BIKE that is already heavy.  And lots of un-sprung weight at that (front and rear), the worst kind.  Let's mount a master cylinder to a fork slider.  And 3 miles of hose and proportioning valves and fittings.

But I guess they got the system so small, light and compact on the 8th Gen you don't even see it or know it's there.  Oh wait...  

• Member Contributer

I have a 3rd gen, and was going to upgrade to an 8th gen as well, but after riding it, there was nothing that screamed "Big Upgrade" to me. I could not see paying $9K for something I already had in my garage, so I actually bought a 7th gen. Insane upgrade on power, and brakes. A bit more weight, but once you're going it's not noticeable. No Vtec, easy valve adjustments (only 1 cam per bank) no chain maintenance, USD forks, radial brakes, very comfortable, especially with the upright bars. Range and weight are the only real drawbacks. Some say it's not a "real" VFR, but Honda built it, and it says "VFR" right on the bodywork, and it's the closest VFR engine to the RC213V that I can afford. Personally, I think the 8th gen is a really good bike, but it's basically 6th Gen technology (I.E. 2002)  with a few refinements, and things have moved on alot since then.. 

The SuperDuke GT's and MultiStrada's are in another realm, I have ridden both and they are top notch! Their only real Japanese competition is the Tracer MT-10 from Yamaha. If you get the SP model you don't even have to upgrade the suspension. You can put bags on them as well. The crossplane engine sounds and acts like a V4! The Tracer GT looks good, and I rode the previous version, but not for any distance, but it seemed like a decent bike for fun and travel. The (EXPENSIVE) Ninja Z H2 is also a fun-crazy engine, but the suspension will leave you wanting if you start dipping into the fun-zone 😀

Other than that, it's Expensive Euro's, Sport Bikes, or ..............ADV bikes - some of which are sneaky good at ripping the twisties!

Good luck on your search!

• Member Contributer

Oh, forgot to mention while the power on the MT-10 is awesome, the range is dismal. Makes even the 7th gen seem like a long range touring bike. The wind protection is not good either, but I'm sure someone makes a screen for it.

• Member Contributer

I owned a 3G, from new, 27 years. I upgraded to an 8G and added the VFRD headers. I loved my 3G, but it is no where near as capable as the 8G. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I often  wonder when you hear lads saying this or that adds weight to a bike if they ever consider the 18 stone brute that's riding the thing😅

I don't think I'd consider an 8th gen now, never liked vtec anyway, you'd be as well get yourself one of the new Hornets or a transalp to go with your Gen3, by all accounts this new 750cc Ptwin is a great engine. Just a pity they haven't added cruise to the transalp. the electronics are there for everything else, big mistake but not really a deal breaker if the new engine and ergos are that good.

• Member Contributer

Lighter is better, but most of any improvement could be had through training and skills. I've bought more than one "lightened" track bike. Never again. People remove wiring, footpeg hangers, etc. I saw one bike where they guy removed the rear braking system...really. He didn't pass tech. 

I'm going through this on my dual (or duel if you like Crackslist!) sport bikes. I'm trying to carry anything I need but my buds are carrying nothing and removing parts! Each to their own. 

Archived