Fuel Pump Removal Struggle Bus

Ughandi

• Member Contributer

Howdy, VFRD!

In my effort to take everything apart and go boldly where no man has gone before on this hog in 23 years, I decided it would be a good time to take a look at that fuel filter.

0.thumb.jpg.7e71d562a98f4e8973835dc76b1cdf89.jpg
0.thumb.jpg.368fc50d289e824a139298b95c9277dd.jpg
...However I cannot fadangle nor finesse the darned thing out.

Any advise, tips or tricks to pull out the unit would be more than welcome!!

Some off topic questions as well:
- Is there anything else I should do/replace "while I'm in here"? (seals, hoses, etc)

- How can I scrub that OE glue off of the tank? I'm getting nowhere fast with a sponge and rubbing alcohol & brake-clean, and I'm going to need a clean surface for the heat shielding I'm going to apply underneath the tank.

Muchos Gracias!

• Member Contributer

For awareness...a lot of the stuff around the bottom of the pump is the metal mesh filter and a rubber bladder thingy that sort of prevents starvation at low levels.  So there is a lot of "give" in these two things as you try to wiggle the pump out.

Good news is goes-in is easier than goes-out!

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, bmart said:

I've had good results including swearing. 

4 hours ago, ShipFixer said:

So there is a lot of "give" in these two things as you try to wiggle the pump out.

So It sounds like I should just muscle up and "Give Em" to remove the assembly. Thanks, folks! Will report back with results.

6 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

acetone or adhesive remover (xylene). Also Goo-off

The first one of these I find at home depot wins. Thanks!!

• Member Contributer

My R6 fuel pumps are similar. I have to pay attention and either nudge the bit that is getting stuck, or the bit across from it to make room for the bit getting stuck. Whichever is less likely to be damaged!

• Member Contributer

Borrowing a pic from Seb's recent Ultimate post, on the attached picture on the lower right you'll see the rubber bladder holding the metal mesh. I used nylon pry tools to move the rubber/metal combo out of the way.  As mentioned installation is easier. Sugget replacing the rubber gasket used to seal the fuel pump to the tank.  Also, what heat shield are you using?

image.thumb.png.5a69691467829ff36a6b959371752847.png 

• Member Contributer

Success!! 
0.thumb.jpg.bbbd60aa770ee5bc5a1b594ded455dde.jpg

...but basically everything rubber turned to rocks, which is probably why It was so difficult to remove. 

0.jpg.5fe672ab6b421b1f6c78f6a1317b616b.jpg

I'll have to order all the bits that are no longer attached 😅

Will also order a new fuel filter with the u-turn on it. Honda does not seem to sell the filter anymore. Anybody have a good experience with Quantum Fuel Systems? 
https://www.highflowfuel.com/quantum-fuel-filter-for-honda-vfr800-1998-2009-replaces-16700-mcw-d02/

I hate the $40 price for a filter, so I'm open to creativity here.

4 hours ago, Tirso said:

Sugget replacing the rubber gasket used to seal the fuel pump to the tank

10-4. Mine was permanently deformed after removal. Partzilla to the rescue!

4 hours ago, Tirso said:

Also, what heat shield are you using?

DEI Reflect-A-Gold. I am told it's the good stuff.

9 hours ago, bmart said:

Whichever is less likely to be damaged

I ended up damaging everything rubber to get that sucker out, levering with a mini-crowbar, but we made it work!  😁

• Member Contributer

I bought all the parts to redo mine but haven't tackled it yet. I really resented giving Honda $12 for a pot scrubber in a Honda bag.

I got a new filter from them as well, the filter listed for '98 and '99 was NLA (straight filter with long 'J" shaped hose), but the '00 and '01 part is still available. It's the filter as shown in your picture, curved pipe and a straight hose, pretty sure the filter/hose combined ends up the same. Both parts are still available. The inlet strainer is not available as a separate part, it comes with the pump. If a $40 filter eats at you don't ask what the pump costs. 

FILTER, FUEL     16900-MBG-013

HOSE B, FUEL PUMP    16712-MBG-010

Hey, at least it didn't look like this when you took it out...

large.20220404_190748.jpg.e0caa9c8b905a9

I found a new white sock filter on amazon that worked, I can look up the part # if you need it. Might have been for an Accord. I found the info by digging deep in the archives here. 

If you used a pry bar, be sure to inspect the metal lip on the tank where the new gasket will go. If you deformed it, be sure to fix it or it may leak later. 

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Dangeruss said:

$40 filter eats at you don't ask what the pump costs

I'm not gonna be hurting, but man I hate paying so much for a part that probably cost $4.00 to manufacture. (-__-')

Did more digging, and turns out Quantum has a "Fuel Pump Repair Kit" (Filter, socks, and tank seal all for $45.00). I'll probably go with this, then order all rubber goodies from Partzilla. Will report back.
https://www.highflowfuel.com/quantum-fuel-pump-repair-kit-w-fuel-filter-tank-seal-for-honda-vfr800-efi-1998-2009-replaces-16700-mcw-d02/

Thanks for those part numbers too!

3 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

Hey, at least it didn't look like this when you took it out...

I'm counting my blessings after seeing that photo.😅 ...That is rather crispy.

I found a new white sock filter on amazon that worked, I can look up the part # if you need it

Please do! Not just for me, but a forums lurker in 7 years will also find it useful!

If you used a pry bar, be sure to inspect the metal lip on the tank where the new gasket will go. If you deformed it, be sure to fix it or it may leak later. 

I did make a small bend on the lip - I'll be sure to straighten it out! Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Now I'm wondering if I need to tackle this as well.  Mine is a '98 and I have never checked the pump.  Seems to work fine so maybe leave it alone?  Thoughts?

• Member Contributer

I'm ~$95 in on bits. 

Partzilla miraculously had all the rubber bits in a kit for $20, then I added the lower hose for another $5 and a new O-ring for the fuel level bobber for $4.
Quantum's kit of the inline filter, sock, and tank seal went for $45. The kit also includes hoses, but some reviews on various websites quoted poor stability of their hoses in a gasoline bath, thus the OE hose replacement from Partzilla.  
The rest of the quantity is chocked up to shipping.

3 hours ago, interceptor69 said:

Seems to work fine so maybe leave it alone?

I'm typically of the tenacity of "If it aint broke, then break it" ...so don't follow my lead and just enjoy your ride if she works dandy 😄

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

It's Fuel Pump Friday, everybody!!

Partzilla took a HOT minute, but they did deliver!
0.thumb.jpg.ea705db0b6305eef766da9efb71d98c1.jpg

Out with the old... etc,etc.
My inner pyromaniac tempted me to light the old filter up, but I resisted.

0.thumb.jpg.599e05579277c453a9a74c4bc2ffb309.jpg

And as assembled, she stands strong

0.thumb.jpg.03d59555e5530e62b8a3301807a75996.jpg

It did go in a bit easier than it came out, most likely due to the new rubber having an ultimate tensile strain of greater than 1.00005 

Onwards and upwards!!

On 2/24/2023 at 5:16 PM, Tirso said:

Borrowing a pic from Seb's recent Ultimate post, on the attached picture on the lower right you'll see the rubber bladder holding the metal mesh. I used nylon pry tools to move the rubber/metal combo out of the way.  As mentioned installation is easier. Sugget replacing the rubber gasket used to seal the fuel pump to the tank.  Also, what heat shield are you using?

This is good advice.  I just installed a new pump assembly myself yesterday.  Don't be afraid to comperess the rubber bladder and metal mesh.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/24/2023 at 4:44 PM, Ughandi said:

Success!! 

Hey! How does the pump work?  Does the pump leak gas when the bike is off?

Before I found this thread, a mechanic told me that the Quantums don't have a fuel cutoff (something OEM has) so if there is a full tank, the pressure can push fuel into the engine when the bike is off.

19 minutes ago, TDChip said:

Hey! How does the pump work?  Does the pump leak gas when the bike is off?

Before I found this thread, a mechanic told me that the Quantums don't have a fuel cutoff (something OEM has) so if there is a full tank, the pressure can push fuel into the engine when the bike is off.

I had heard that also and asked the folks at Quantum previously, as my 2000 has their fuel pump and filter in it. Quantum guy said all their fuel pumps have an internal check valve that would not allow fuel flow by to happen.

1 hour ago, VeeEffArah said:

I had heard that also and asked the folks at Quantum previously, as my 2000 has their fuel pump and filter in it. Quantum guy said all their fuel pumps have an internal check valve that would not allow fuel flow by to happen.

Good to know.  I'll probably do what the OP did and just get most of the tubes from RevZilla and some of those more expensive components from quantum.

Still need to get the gas tank blasted and re-sealed.

Your money and buying preference, but I'd shop pricing and such with other places versus Revzilla.

Quantum has an entire pump and filter kit for these bikes for like $100.

• Member Contributer

Don't know if there is a valve in the pump or not.  But fuel shouldn't flow past an injector "into the engine" unless it is seriously dirty and not closing, which would incur other problems.

Pump on, the fuel injector rail is pressurized and the injectors open and close in milliseconds to allow some fuel to escape.  Bike off pump off...should still be fuel in the rail.  First thing that happens when bike is on...fuel pump primes and pressurizes the rail so fuel will come out.

• Member Contributer

I know from personal experience (swapping out the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail) that fuel will happily gravity feed from a fairly full tank into the fuel rail area through the OEM pump; if you had a leaking inector it would surely flow into the affected intake port. 

Archived