Parting out a perfectly good VFR1200: advice needed

ccrunner

Hi guys.. I'm new here, but I've been a member over on the VFRworld website for years... I need some advice on how I might best part out my pristine 2012 VFR1200-DCT.  This will sound odd, but I'm going to use the engine and the entire wring harness/ switches for a bike-engine car project.. Yes, I'm tearing apart a flawless 16k mile bike to source it's heart and harness.

So, when I start tear down, I will have some very nice parts for a bike (this one is blue) that is somewhat rare here in the US (I'm in CA)... I guess I'm wondering about demand for the used bits from this model/ year.. Are used parts for these bikes sought after?  Hard to come by?  I'm not out to take advantage of anyone or to be greedy, but I also don't want to give my spares away- I just want to be fair..  Also, I don't want to deal with flakey people (looking at you Craigslist!)... So in short, 1200 owners, do you have any thoughts on how to efficiently get fair value for these spare parts, and get them into the hands of those that might need/ want them? 

I know how odd it sounds to use a bike motor for a car, but I've recently done this with 5th gen VFR800 motors.. if you're interested, I have a few build logs from the past- here:  https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=14452&sid=47abb63aea24dbb3edcd01fbbda22002

and here:  https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397&sid=47abb63aea24dbb3edcd01fbbda22002

I've linked those build logs to show that I've had some success with this formula in the past, and this next project is intended to take advantage of those 170 VFR1200 ponies, as well as that sweet DCT.. should be fun.. I love riding the bike as-is, but I think it will be a monster in 1000# car..   Thank you for your insight on these 7th gen parts..

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Woahohoho Count me in as wanting to follow this project!

I cannot provide insight into the vfr1200 used parts market, but I'm certain someone in here can!

Don't know about over there but over here, Ebay is the first port of call for parts. Breakers use Ebay too. If the US is like Europe, The 1200 is not popular so demand for parts is not that high, yet. It may change as the VFR has received some decent press coverage recently in the UK as a very good value sports tourer, but I doubt it will ever be an in demand bike.

The plastics should sell easily enough but you will just have to look at Ebay to see what the going rate is.

• Member Contributer

Just checked out your posts on the forum you linked to for your previous VFR800 projects. It's a shame the pictures have been dropped - do you have any you could post on here?

You clearly have the skillset to do this and I'm sure we'd all like to see how you get on with one of the best engines, fitting it into something I know not what of.

Can't help with selling parts in the US either, sorry.

Thanks for the replies guys.. I figured either these VFR1200 parts are rare and sought after, or not at all in demand as sales were so low in the US.. At very least I figure the plastics and OEM panniers (blue) will sell easily when the time comes.  Sorry for the missing pics on the locost build links- that website has some challenges..  Here are a few youtube links that will work better (at least to show my older build, the Honda N600/ VFR800): 

The actual fabrication on the above car is in slideshow form below (not my videos): 

The 'other' VFR800 build is my ongoing 1959 Berkeley (my tiny British car seen below with 2 different bodies).. it is a work in progress.. If you search 'ccrunner,' some pics and videos will pop up here and there..   thanks for your interest.. I'm really enjoying the challenges combining both a car and a bike to make a fun project.

4 12 21.jpg

ali21.jpg

bww107.jpg

• Like 8

I've watched that N600 video countless times over the years. What an awesome build! I've always wanted a VFR motor in one of those Japanese mini trucks. Keep posting so we can follow along on your latest.

• Member Contributer

You'll get good money for the blue bags, as they are super rare.  The blue plastics for the other fairing pieces, however happen to be the cheapest color new from Partzilla and other online retailers.  Black is the most valuable at the moment.  

We should talk

i could be interested in the carcass 

i will send you a PM 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

OP here: I know this is a zombie thread, but I wanted to update- I've changed my fickle mind and will not be parting out my 2012 VFR1200 after all.. I now plan to sell it as-is in spring of 2024..

If you know someone who's looking for a clean 2012 DCT, please send me a PM..

Thanks-

Dean (ccrunner)