VFR Electrical outage when pressing starter button

jon2410

Looking for some help please!

I have a 2002 6th Gen VFR 800 with ABS brakes and approx.54,000 miles.

On Saturday morning the bike started fine. An hour later when I switched the ignition on all instruments and clock went blank. After leaving it about 5 mins the clock came back. Bike would not bump start but fired up first time when jump started. Suspecting a dodgy battery, I put a new one on today. Ignition on, fuel pump initialised and all lights and instruments came on. As soon as I pressed the starter button there was a click from starter solenoid area and all electrics died. Removed connection from battery reconnected it and same thing happened again. As bike started from jump start I assume starter motor and solenoid ok? 

Please can anyone shed any light on this annoying problem?

Many thanks

Jon

• Member Contributer

What have you checked/diagnosed so far? Battery voltage? Fully charged battery? Clean connections? Jump when in parallel to a big battery (car/truck 12V)? 

• Member Contributer

Have a look @ all wiring connections on solenoid. If repairs needed use ox-gard on refreshed parts, it helps with corrosion & “connectivity”..

• 4 weeks later...

Jon, 

Any luck troubleshooting this issue yet? I have a 99 VFR with the same exact electrical problem you described, but it is intermittent and frustrating to try and diagnose. I replaced the battery and previously replaced the regulator/rectifier, but I continue to have the problem. I am looking to pull the stator next, but everything else seems to check good so far. 

Shay

• Member Contributer

Check wiring, and connectors first. With an ohm meter. At operating temperature. Until you know for a fact that the wiring/connectors is not the issue replacing components is a fool's game, and expensive.

Simple, cheap, and easy fixes first.

Pro tip: stock Honda wiring is not very robust. I have bypassed all the stock charging system, and headlight wiring on my bikes. They are happy now.

Archived