The Ultimate VFR800...

SEBSPEED

This is a work of art and you have a gift to be able to do something like this.  My mind is blown.  Totally amazing work.  Congratulations.

22 hours ago, Noles said:

This is a work of art and you have a gift to be able to do something like this.  My mind is blown.  Totally amazing work.  Congratulations.

Thank you! 

I've been enjoying putting a few miles on it, now that the weather is nice again. 

• Like 1

So, I finally got my bike weighed tonight - only took me a year... the scale is calibrated and accurate to +/- 1lb

Stock curb weight was 538lb

Now 524lb with lots of extra parts and power 😎😎

large.20230519_210117.jpg.745ae9903e0e0b

large.20230519_205757.jpg.5bbccf91aaa88c

large.20230519_205740.jpg.376114a5126bb1

• Like 3

***Dyno numbers are in***

Michael Dixon me this morning to run both of our bikes back to back. He has a slip on, but otherwise stock. He went first and his 07 Anniversary pulled 96.06hp.

Mine went up next and pulled 152.86hp!

Unfortunately, this was with the tire rubbing on the table(see video), but that just means there's still meat on the bone. I guess I'll have to find some race fuel and go back for another run!

Roughly 60% or almost 60hp gain is not bad for a little old VFR800 🙂

We did very basic runs, hp only, we didn't connect to the ignition to pick up torque and rpm numbers.

I had 91 ethanol-free with a splash of octane booster in the tank. Not sure what fuel Mike had.

This all goes to show just how important doing a baseline run is. This same exact unit pulled 202hp on another dyno on the previous owner's bike, but no baseline had been done. I am using the dyno map from that run in my bike.

large.20230524_091056.jpg.7ce2df863c6817

This is 3 of my pulls on top of one of Mike's: 

large.20230524_091002.jpg.917d29c7893b32

Mike's best vs my best:

large.20230524_124727.jpg.eccd7bcaf9c308

My best (Map 1) vs my other best (Map 2)

large.20230524_124754.jpg.a0c658f0922a75

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

That'll do.

Was the bike just positioned incorrectly on the roller?

Ciao,

JZH

8 hours ago, JZH said:

That'll do.

Was the bike just positioned incorrectly on the roller?

Ciao,

JZH

Yes. My wheelbase must be a bit shorter than Mike's due to chain and sprocket differences. It was an unfortunate oversight. The shop owner has told me to bring the bike back to run again another day. I'm going to hunt down some good fuel or maybe even proper racing fuel and have another go in the coming weeks. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I blew a fork seal a couple weeks ago, likely from having too much fun with the boost... I replaced that, added a Tyga carbon fender, and swapped out the old spiderwebbed 06 windscreen for a chinese double bubble. I haven't liked bubble screens in the past, but this one is low enough it doesn't cause my head to bobble like the others I've tried. I think it looks good with the lcd film swap too. 

20230629_162316.jpg

20230629_162418.jpg

• Like 6

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

I blew a fork seal a couple weeks ago, likely from having too much fun with the boost... I replaced that, added a Tyga carbon fender, and swapped out the old spiderwebbed 06 windscreen for a chinese double bubble. I haven't liked bubble screens in the past, but this one is low enough it doesn't cause my head to bobble like the others I've tried. I think it looks good with the lcd film swap too. 

Where is this one from?  The original double bubble points the air stream directly at my helmet as well.  I have to go original profile (ZG SR right now) or one of those silly tall things, nothing in between.

6 hours ago, ShipFixer said:

Where is this one from?  The original double bubble points the air stream directly at my helmet as well.  I have to go original profile (ZG SR right now) or one of those silly tall things, nothing in between.

Here you go:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323438109234

• 2 weeks later...

I made a spur of the moment trip to the Dragon last week, had a blast. It was great to see some old friends and get some miles in.

I'm in the process of uploading gopro footage, here's one to start

• Like 3

Some photos from my trip. I had a great stretch of hot weather, with just a little rain. I got to meet up with good old friends and some new, and rode all over the place. I hit all the old standbys like the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, Moonshiner 28, Foothills Parkway, Blue Ridge Parkway, and some of the gaps in North Georgia along with Blood Mountain. I got to try out the Devils Triangle too which was a lot of fun. 

large.20230707_133846.jpg.0d2d31c5912bab

large.20230709_172919.jpg.61c4be1b722bed

large.20230709_172954.jpg.2aa09c7d634c14

large.20230710_163744.jpg.da12d1cb451b7f

large.20230711_125632.jpg.9f4ed704adcf3b

"Tell me you like lefts more than rights, without telling me you like lefts more than rights"...

large.20230711_174258.jpg.122448e6de3dbf

large.20230711_160126.jpg.8e9b4bb9417fe8

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The rear footpeg mount makes for interesting video and pics :)

20230714_104701.jpg

large.20230715_143607.jpg.1202ef7ad1d783

large.20230715_120055.jpg.768ad0175ba0d6

Unfortunately, I found my shock seal blown on the day of my arrival, so I had to run the whole trip lacking rebound control and had a bit of a bouncy ride. I pulled it out as soon as I got back and shipped it back to Traxxion for warranty repair. It should be back in the next few days and can't wait to go riding again.

large.20230714_150459.jpg.6005426f1fb5da

large.20230714_134609.jpg.7c24b401f99ec3

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Sounds like a great trip, Seb!  Thanks for sharing some details and the photos here.

Sorry to hear about the problem with the rear shock.  I don't think I've seen that many blown seals like that.  Any idea what caused it to fail?

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Great photos Seb, and of course what a beautiful (red) bike. Knuckledragger is usually used as an insult but not in your case!

In my east coast days my best trips were Skyline-->BRP-->Dragon--Cherohala, plus the many offshoots from the BRP. We always did the dragon a few times but Cherohala was my favorite, scenic, long and very empty. Of course I can't say I was getting a knee down every corner, the wildlife kept me alert.

Sorry about the shock but you seemed to be coping somehow.  😄

Offshoot (Goshen Pass):

Appalachians 05.06 006.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 8:42 AM, TimC said:

Sounds like a great trip, Seb!  Thanks for sharing some details and the photos here.

Sorry to hear about the problem with the rear shock.  I don't think I've seen that many blown seals like that.  Any idea what caused it to fail?

I didn't receive any direct feedback from Traxxion when they called and asked me to pay for the rebuild fee, and I didn't ask as the kid on the phone didn't sound like he'd have answers. Waiting to see if there's info in the box when it returns, but mostly I'm just looking forward to having it back and usable. 

My new S22 tires arrived yesterday and I'm itching to try them out.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Hey Seb, Great videos!  Any chance you could give a picture of the foot peg mount? Looks like a nice angle.

On 7/22/2023 at 8:55 AM, Knute said:

Hey Seb, Great videos!  Any chance you could give a picture of the foot peg mount? Looks like a nice angle.

Hey, thanks. I don't have any good pictures handy. The mount is a Ram-type ball & arm arrangement that hangs the gopro from the upper rear hole in the footrest, where the luggage rack normally mounts.

• Thanks 1

My shock was returned yesterday, and I installed it this morning along with a CBR600F3 dogbone link.

The dogbone link is 5mm shorter than the stock VFR part, and has resulted in 1.7º steeper swingarm angle. It also makes my rear tire touch the ground when I put the bike on the centerstand... more to come on whether I've rendered the stand useless... 

I lost over 50lb in the last year, so I had Traxxion install a 1200lb spring vs the 1300lb I had on there. With regard to their warranty and customer service, I am happy. Traxxion took my shock in, rebuilt it with new Ohlins seal head, installed the new spring & dyno tested it, then returned it to me for a total of $45 (the cost of the Ohlins seal head). They turned it around in a few days.

I don't like to change so many things at once, but timing is a little tight (again) as I'm heading to TN end of this week for a return trip with my son. 

I'm going to do a test hop with the old tires in a few, then pull both wheels so I can pop those S22's on for the trip. 

• Like 4

You said the rear tire is now touching the ground when the bike is on the centerstand.  Is that a fairly new tire, or a worn one?  With my old 6th gen. I found there could be a pretty big difference with how much the rear tire was in the air depending on the brand/model of the tire and how new or worn it was.

Congrats on the weight loss!!  I've lost 20-some pounds this year, and hoping to lose much more.  It definitely makes a difference in how I feel on the bike, and the responsiveness of the bike's suspension.

Also, glad to hear Traxxion did great work for a low cost and turned it around quickly!  👍

@TimC the tire is/was a Road Attack 3 on the wear bars. I'm replacing it today. I don't think I'll be able to use the stand once I mount up the new Bridgestone S22.

It's probably worth mentioning that I am running a 190/55 rear on the 6" Ducati wheel. They are taller than the 180/55's. Not sure it would be enough difference if only running the 180. 

And thank you! It came off quicker than expected. I have to lose another 20 to hit my goal. 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

It is worth noting that the sizes on the sidewalls aren't accurate, but more of a swag. One would need to visit the MFG site get true measurements. 

• Member Contributer

I used the shock length adjuster on my Nitron Race unit & had the same issue. I removed the centre stand & fitted a CBR1000 alloy side stand with my own adapter to compensate for the excess lean on side stand & its lighter to boot 😁 I still use the centre stand when removing the rear wheel by slipping it on temporarily then using a piece of wood under it so the rear wheel is off the ground so I can remove it, obviously this only works at home. 

• Member Contributer
On 7/21/2023 at 1:42 PM, TimC said:

I don't think I've seen that many blown seals like that.  Any idea what caused it to fail?

Might have something to do with the amount of time he has been spending on one wheel with the supercharger fitted 😂😂

• Haha 2