The Ultimate VFR800...

SEBSPEED

54 minutes ago, vfrcapn said:

Beautiful skilled work Seb. This is the VFRR Honda could have built.

I was curious about what gearing your using?

I stuck with the same -1 front/+1 rear that I had before. It pulls out of corners very well without revving too high on the highway. I did have to go with the aftermarket 520 conversion to achieve that, as the biggest oem-fit Ducati sprocket only went as high as a stock VFR rear. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One of my Dragon runs with my buddy Travis chasing on his GasGas supermoto. Unfortunately the camera cut off toward the end, just as things were getting spicy. 

Watch in hi def and you can see the rubber stripes being painted on the corner exits 😎

• Like 5

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

Short pull through the gears, shifting on boost.

Oopsie indeed. Did he u-turn and discuss your acceleration performance? Had a similar fly-by in the Adirondacks a number of years ago, same blue with orange stripe, but he kept going.

Keep posting those beautiful bikes!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, St. Stephen said:

Oopsie indeed. Did he u-turn and discuss your acceleration performance? Had a similar fly-by in the Adirondacks a number of years ago, same blue with orange stripe, but he kept going.

Keep posting those beautiful bikes!

I was expecting that, but no he never turned around. I quit while I was ahead, turned around and parked it. 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

I was expecting that, but no he never turned around. I quit while I was ahead, turned around and parked it. 

It's because you were wearing all the gear, he gave you a pass.  😉

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

As you may recall from my build, a VTR fan blade will reverse airflow and blow outward through your left radiator. It appears to be a more efficient design, as well. 

Also, my suspension was done by Traxxion with slightly more front spring rate and the same rear. Internet experts have claimed the rates are too stiff. Riding it proves otherwise. Like yours, it’s amazing. 

26217918-F5E3-4338-A9B1-E55F64ECFC3D.jpeg

CED185E0-B30C-4220-9819-22FAD4939AE3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
On 2/22/2023 at 3:15 PM, SEBSPEED said:

Ooh, ahh...

large.20220507_165646.jpg.fa68c682d049df

I spent too much time trying to figure out how to have the blow off valve make a funny noise, but short of zip tying a rubber chicken to it, I couldn't find any good options, so just let it be. But yes, that's how a bag of rubber chickens ended up at the Spring ride... 

large.20220507_165619.jpg.371fafad1302ae

Boost gauge adaption

large.20220507_213315.jpg.63daabc7b7eb75

Looking more complete by the day

large.20220508_013622.jpg.31ca41c0ed5367

So much work here, I can't even begin to describe most of it. 

large.20220508_013637.jpg.cc48d0073af8b7

large.20220508_020016.jpg.b8397ce7bffec4

large.20220508_191749.jpg.e8cbbce1823f73

THAT RED!!! WINNING!!!

large.20220508_191734.jpg.185d1696faedfb

Here she is running some heat cycles in the yard. I did also Cerakote the Rotrex oil reservoir, and you can see the fluid level indicator hose doing it's job. 

large.20220508_195129.jpg.0ff4126c91b22e

large.20220509_100525.jpg.393c675881688d

large.20220508_201730.jpg.4c29b90ba3182c

large.20220508_205628.jpg.457e26089da61b

large.20220508_205433.jpg.608bb999b9f63a

large.20220508_201636.jpg.18906e58356763

large.20220508_210527.jpg.a7eace61efe73f

large.20220508_210816.jpg.7251557ab3e386

• Member Contributer

Wow, amazing skills and attention to detail! Awesome how you fit everything in there, and made it all functional to the highest order. 

Any dyno numbers, or a weight, for us "numbers geeks" out there... 😀

22 hours ago, ducnut said:

As you may recall from my build, a VTR fan blade will reverse airflow and blow outward through your left radiator. It appears to be a more efficient design, as well. 

Also, my suspension was done by Traxxion with slightly more front spring rate and the same rear. Internet experts have claimed the rates are too stiff. Riding it proves otherwise. Like yours, it’s amazing. 

That fan absolutely crossed my mind as I was pondering all the mods. In the end, I decided against it for a few simple reasons.

1. I'm using the oem fan location as an auxiliary, so top efficiency is less important. 

2. In stopped or slow traffic, it makes more sense to draw outside air in, and that's when I'll be using that fan. 

3. Cost of adding another part

4. Internet evidence suggested a small chance of catching debris between the fan blade and my (now very custom) radiator made me most hesitant. No room left to add a debris shield. 

Thankfully, the choice worked out. It was in the mid to high 80s and pushing 90f during the spring ride & very humid too. I had zero overheating issues. I did see some higher temps, but nothing I hadn't seen with the stock VFR. 

11 hours ago, RC1237V said:

Wow, amazing skills and attention to detail! Awesome how you fit everything in there, and made it all functional to the highest order. 

Any dyno numbers, or a weight, for us "numbers geeks" out there... 😀

Thank you!

I wish I could report some numbers... I tried to get in at Wheeler's during my trip south, but his dynos were both down. I don't have any local to me, and the nearest want way too much for a simple power pull. I was hooing to get a tandem run with a stock VFR800 and mine on the same day/same machine for a true comparison. 

I do have a great lead on getting an accurate weight - I have an in with a local scrapper who will let me roll it up on a scale. I didn't get to it last year, but later this spring I will. 

We had a bluebird 50f day here today, would have been rude not to wheel the bikes out and knock some dust off. 

First fire & neighborhood noise making of 2023... 😎

• Like 7

• Member Contributer
On 2/22/2023 at 11:45 AM, SEBSPEED said:

Here's one a lot of you will appreciate. 

I had in the back of my mind a mod I had seen on a Euro or Spanish VFR forum. It was linked here years ago. Someone was taking 6g stator covers and modifying them to add an oil passage. I was trying to locate the info, and Miguel turned me on to looking at the 8g stator cover as Honda had apparently taken some measures to feed more oil to the stator on that model. 

Turns out he was right, and I ran with it. My brand new stator now has a fresh oil feed directly from the oil gallery!

My 47,xxxmi stator was still working, but probably close to not, judging by the toasty condition

This is the interior view of the 8g cover

large.Screenshot_20220322-124447_Chrome.

The red arrow indicates a port for a sensor that is unique to the 8g. It's not used on a 6g, so I turned up a plug and welded it in before I coated the cover. 

This is the location on the 6g block that needs to be drilled. 

large.20220322_124838.jpg.d3999c44466698

large.20220322_200716.jpg.c5c1eb209abf0e

You also have to drill a counterbore for the the orifice o-ring which will be installed

Job done:

large.IMG_20220326_202430_437.jpg.4fa786

Any thought that this could be done for the 5G, adapting the 8G cover? It looks like the 6/8G cover may have an extra dowl?

17 hours ago, vfrcapn said:

Any thought that this could be done for the 5G, adapting the 8G cover? It looks like the 6/8G cover may have an extra dowl?

I want to say yes, but I'm not sure about details of fitting. I have a 99 and another 2014 cover here, but the bike isn't in a good position for me to pull the cover and check. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
On 2/18/2023 at 8:23 PM, SEBSPEED said:

So yes, I did say supercharger on that list... crazy story in itself... it was purchased new by VFRD member Arrow in Istanbul, Turkey. He installed it and had it tuned in the Netherlands where it pulled 202hp on that particular dyno. He later removed it and sold it to another VFRD member zRoyz in Australia where it sat on a shelf for a few years. Roy listed it for sale in a VFR fb group and somehow it didn't sell for months, even though the price was good. I happened to see the listing months later when someone bumped the topic, and I jumped on it. That was back in 2016 or 17... I was happy to just own the kit and wasn't too fussed about installing it as I considered it an investment at the time. 

Crazy story time... I dug the kit out of its hidey hole in my garage to look it over when I got into this rebuild. It was an odd time of the day, I hadn't touched it the kit in literally years and so I was pretty disturbed when I woke up the next morning to see I had received a fb message from Murray(phantom here) informing me that Roy had been in an accident during a group ride and did not survive his injuries. The crazy thing is, after calculating the time difference, I was looking through the kit and reflecting on how it came to my possession at the same time the accident occurred. I got the feeling it was my sign to go all out and throw the kit and the full kitchen sink at the bike, and bring it to the VFRD Spring ride to get it in front of Roy's online friends and do a burnout …

I didn’t know Roy passed away, he was such a pleasant gentleman. May he rest in peace 😔

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

We did converse through your build and I could see that you were undertaking a very complex project but when I finally read this thread… Wow, I mean, wow, my mind is blown!

I had to go back and read the posts several times to even start to comprehend what you did to the stock kit. Excellent work, great craftmanship, beautiful bike….

At least I can claim to have contributed to your success. I did buy the kit in the first place 🤪

• Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 7:00 AM, arrow said:

We did converse through your build and I could see that you were undertaking a very complex project but when I finally read this thread… Wow, I mean, wow, my mind is blown!

I had to go back and read the posts several times to even start to comprehend what you did to the stock kit. Excellent work, great craftmanship, beautiful bike….

At least I can claim to have contributed to your success. I did buy the kit in the first place 🤪

You were very helpful along the way - the dyno maps were a godsend, thank you

• Like 1