My 89 vfr won't pass 3000rpm

89vfrrc24

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you need to understand how to measure float height, then check it carefully.

new plugs will need to have gaps checked/set to thirty thousandths of aN inch.  do not over-tighten. check that you use the proper plugs, and as another check, post here photos showing the id numbers on the plugs.

nov3-21015.thumb.JPG.f1edb07c3e723fad2809dc6c26d72489.JPG

6 hours ago, Thumbs said:

The float’s seem to be sticking, clean up and polish the spindles 

I'm probably way off base with this as I haven't worked on carbs in years, but couldn't that delay in the float's rise be caused by a sticking float needle plunger?  That little nipple on the backside of the float needle just under the wire clip end that hangs it from the float is spring loaded.  They can become stuck in, out, or gummed up causing unreliable operation.

1 hour ago, vfrgiving said:

I'm probably way off base with this as I haven't worked on carbs in years, but couldn't that delay in the float's rise be caused by a sticking float needle plunger?  That little nipple on the backside of the float needle just under the wire clip end that hangs it from the float is spring loaded.  They can become stuck in, out, or gummed up causing unreliable operation.

good call, yes,  those sometimes stick, which alters the fuel level.

Can someone help me to interpret what can happen in this situation. By mounting the starter motor incorrectly, and having touched the start button a few times, forcing it without rotation. I noticed some bubbles in the battery. What are the possible consequences after this situation?

Thanks

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, 89vfrrc24 said:

Can someone help me to interpret what can happen in this situation. By mounting the starter motor incorrectly, and having touched the start button a few times, forcing it without rotation. I noticed some bubbles in the battery. What are the possible consequences after this situation?

Thanks

Your Starter Motor is a series motor, it is virtually a dead short on the battery until it starts rotating, so a stalled starter will rapidly overheat your battery with the potential of exploding it, or you'll destroy either the Starter windings or start smoking cables.

A dangerous situation to be absolutely avoided!

1 minute ago, Grum said:

Your Starter Motor is a series motor, it is virtually a dead short on the battery until it starts rotating, so a stalled starter will rapidly overheat your battery with the potential of exploding it, or you'll destroy either the Starter windings or start smoking cables.

A situation to be absolutely avoided!

Can that cause a bad battery? It makes the engine to start and has voltage. But can affects the cdi or the explosion circuit? The sparks plugs are more richer then lean... So i guess i have a bad air... I don't know. Still working on cleaning the carbs. But somone told me about that battery issue. Batteries that look god but work bad

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, 89vfrrc24 said:

Can anyone tell me why there is a difference in fuel pump noise when i charge it to an external battery and when i connect it to the normal motorcycle connections? 

Measure voltage at fuel-pump connector when powering on by bike's electronics.

Dude why are you connecting it directly to the battery.  Stop messing around with this bike and take it to a mechanic.  The pump does not run constantly it turns on and off due to pressure.  I do not mind helping people but I feel you are way over your head and have not listened to my advice and other advice and go off of on tangents. Respectfully.  You could of just ran a gravity feed to see if the bike ran better without the pump.

• Member Contributer

Maybe you can suggest a dealer for him in Portugal? 

3 hours ago, VFR750F3 said:

Dude why are you connecting it directly to the battery.  Stop messing around with this bike and take it to a mechanic.  The pump does not run constantly it turns on and off due to pressure.  I do not mind helping people but I feel you are way over your head and have not listened to my advice and other advice and go off of on tangents. Respectfully.  You could of just ran a gravity feed to see if the bike ran better without the pump.

You are so right. it's the first time i do this, never thought that would be som complicated after a simple starter clutch change.

Assembled the carburetors!!!  did the fuel pump test...

after that i started the bike. After a few seconds  the carburetors started throw gas away. Probably wrong torque and bad gaskets.... i didn't have the chance to see if i had done a good job on the carbs. I will take them off one more time, change the screws for other ones and install new gaskets. after that i'm done.

thank you all for your patience.

p.s.

had twins 3 months ago, you can't imagine how i am right now. Even when i get some sleep, nightmares of VFR , thinking what is wrong with a bike that had no problem at all....

received_121150240798216.jpeg

• Member Contributer

I second suggestion to take to pro. Have not done any proper testing with numbers. Going off on un-related tangents. You're gonna destroy this bike as damages are piling up more and more with useless hacks.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, bmart said:

Maybe you can suggest a dealer for him in Portugal? 

Here's Honda dealer near him. No guarantee on their expertise.

https://ondavis.com

General repair shoppes, from motos to chainsaws! No guarantees, haven't used them.

https://www.motonelas.com

https://www.andardemoto.pt/concessionarios-motos/dir/d/viseu/c/oliveira-de-frades/p-525/motopal-de-paulo-torres-lourenco/

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone.

Life teaches you many things. I know i messed with a perfect bike, but i never gave up. Cleaned all the carburetors, and so many other things. Most of you told me the cdi wasn't the problem. Tested everything, evey wire, learned about resistance, continuity. Other's told me to give the bike to a mechanic. That was on the list, but i thought to myself. What can a mechanic do that i already didn't? Tell me to buy a cdi and test it? I will buy cdi myself and test myself. After hours and hours, very bad nights , a cdi from france arrived today to Portugal. Plugged in 5s, turned the key, pressed the starter button and there it was, the beautiful v4 sound again.  This motorcycle though me many things. Carbs were so cleaned, but i cleaned again and again. 

Now i need to tune  a 1970 cb175 that i have restored in COVID days. 😅

Thank you all and happy Easter.

Archived