Greetings from Ireland

toreckman

Hi all, nice to meet you.  I got my first VFR (01 5th Gen, 31k miles, fully stock) in November '22.  This is my first bike in about 15 years, previously I drove an F3 CBR.  I'm looking forward to getting more miles in when the weather starts getting agreeable.  I've plenty of upgrades & servicing to do before then though 🤣.

Heres some pics taken before my first ride.IMG_20221120_143556.thumb.jpg.4a9d8e8976aa31565575234e02b0b5db.jpg

IMG_20221120_143638_1.thumb.jpg.ea8d1410189464d3784bf73d9a30132e.jpg

IMG_20221120_143649.thumb.jpg.755bbed9c0c286ddf5e375723c960aff.jpg

• Member Contributer

The best color. You suck! 🙂 

Congrats! I'm envious. 

14 hours ago, bmart said:

The best color. You suck! 🙂 

Congrats! I'm envious. 

😂 Do you not get that color in your location? Personally I would have preferred red, but it will do.

I see you get yellow in the US, I used to own a yellow bandit, it stands out.

• Member Contributer

We get any color we want in 5th gen, so long as it is red. One year offered some yellow model. I have one of each, but much prefer the blue and the green..

3 hours ago, bmart said:

We get any color we want in 5th gen, so long as it is red. One year offered some yellow model. I have one of each, but much prefer the blue and the green..

I just Googled the green colour, its pretty dark.

We get mainly red, silver/gray and some blue in Ireland.  I like the red.

12 hours ago, Bren said:

Hi from Austria!

Nice 5th Gen, the blue is also real cool. I don't like the green myself, as you say it's really dark.

10 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Welcome to VFRD!

Thanks all

• Member Contributer
On 2/5/2023 at 12:32 PM, toreckman said:

Hi all, nice to meet you.

We're glad to have you, and look forward to hearing of your adventures with the VFR.

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, fabio222 said:

Cool colour! Being in Kildare, you should definitely take it on a trackday at Mondello! 

I'm in Cork, if you're ever down this way make sure to say hello.

Yeh I've passed Mondello a fair few times and thought that could be good fun.  Have you done a few trackdays yourself?

If I'm in Cork I will definitely say hi 👍 and likewise if your ever over my way.

• Member Contributer

Kildare, where?

I'm out of Leixlip,  between Maynooth &  Lucan. Lived here in Austria last 16 years.

I come home because of my job regular (ish) but not with the bike!

Deal with a few lads out of Cork ( love a Beamish 😋) and the Kingdom. Have to get to get down there again to see them.

On 3/3/2023 at 7:13 PM, toreckman said:

Yeh I've passed Mondello a fair few times and thought that could be good fun.  Have you done a few trackdays yourself?

If I'm in Cork I will definitely say hi 👍 and likewise if your ever over my way.

Did Mondello once one on my 97 VFR 750 and it was great craic! Really helped to improve my riding as well, helped me to explore the limits of the bike in a safe place (and I found them, unfortunately, but thankfully was able to fix up the fairing like new).

Just now, fabio222 said:

Did Mondello once one on my 97 VFR 750 and it was great craic! Really helped to improve my riding as well, helped me to explore the limits of the bike in a safe place (and I found them, unfortunately, but thankfully was able to fix up the fairing like new).

Sounds great, sorry to hear about the spill.  But as you say, better to explore the limits in a safe place.  How did you fix the fairings?

They weren't too badly damaged and I picked up about bits that came off. Had it redone by C&C choppers in Cork (who actually are really good at plastic work, they made it look new).

4 hours ago, fabio222 said:

They weren't too badly damaged and I picked up about bits that came off. Had it redone by C&C choppers in Cork (who actually are really good at plastic work, they made it look new).

Glad it wasn't too bad.

Good to know of a garage that are good with fairings, I noticed I have 1 or 2 small cracks

Easy enough to take the fairings off and apply some fibreglass behind to help strengthen where the cracks are. 

Just noticed, my avatar is me on that trackday, a few laps before I pushed it too much! 

59 minutes ago, fabio222 said:

Easy enough to take the fairings off and apply some fibreglass behind to help strengthen where the cracks are. 

Just noticed, my avatar is me on that trackday, a few laps before I pushed it too much! 

Interesting, i didnt know you could apply fiberglass like that. I have a few cracks around the screw holes.

Looking loke a pro in your avatar 👍😀

• Member Contributer
On 3/3/2023 at 10:20 PM, toreckman said:

I'm out near enough to Athy myself.

Whats Austria like?

Grand really, I'm near the mountains so it's great for hiking and riding.

It's a bit stricter than home, they do love regulations and bureaucracy. I got fined for leaving the "scene of an accident". A deer ran out of a field at full speed and hit my car in the side, I was supposed to ring the police so they could tell the hunter who owns that area. I didn't know this and when I went to get a police report for the insurance they told me I would be fined. €250 later....

2 hours ago, fabio222 said:

5th gen fairings are ABS.  The best adhesive to use is actually ABS pipe primer and ABS cement.  This isn't a glue, but will chemically solvent weld the material back together. 

GoldwingDocs has a great how-to

Archived