Lower A Gen 5 For Free

Guest ratfink

Hey Lizard,

I moved the forks only 5mm (0,2") up, and it doesn't feel any different (also did the "shock mount thingies" lowering thing <_<)

How much did you move the forks up, to feel the lighter steering?

This would really help me out because I will have to make new rings and want to get it right in one attempt.

?art

• Member Contributer

Bart,

I moved my forks up about 9/16" (14mm) and noticed an immediate difference turning at speeds less than 25mph. It was less noticeable at speeds over 35mph, but steers a little quicker than at higher speeds. Feels really good and makes the bike seem lighter at lower speeds while still being stable in the turns.

I know that sounds like a lot, but I rotated the rear lower shock mounts which lowered the back end about 7/16". I wound up with the front lowered about 1/8" (3-4mm) more than the rear.

Hey Lizard,

I moved the forks only 5mm (0,2") up, and it doesn't feel any different (also did the "shock mount thingies" lowering thing <_<)

How much did you move the forks up, to feel the lighter steering?

This would really help me out because I will have to make new rings and want to get it right in one attempt.

?art

I may be crazy, but i'll ask anyway.  I would like to lower my VFR further would you guys not suggest i prefab some more "triangles to lower the rear a further 1/2" ???? 

Any thoughts? :idea3:

It does alter the shock linkage ratio, so the leverage of the swingarm over the shock is affected.

Not sure which way, look further up the thread and there was some postulating on the effects.

lizard,

Thanks for the clear reply...

Would the lowering on a VFR 2005 also be 7/16 on rotating the triangles?

Didn't measure that when doing the mod. sad.gif

I thought I read somewhere on this forum, that it's about 20m lower for a 2005, can't remember for sure.

What did you do with the side stand? My bike already stands quite right up, a bit scary. And now that I will lower it even further, I was wondering how you, or someone else, fixed that with the side stand.

(Did everyone do it like MegaMan?)

Is a steering damper needed, when the forks are changed that much?

I think the bike might be more sensitive to shaking , when the angle of the forks is changed?

to be continued...

• Member Contributer

Bart,

I haven't addressed the sidestand yet. I'm probably going to shorten it because the bike seems almost upright.

I haven't had a chance to ride since my quick test ride on Friday night, it didn't seem like I would need a steering damper, but it will take more riding to see for sure. Weather looks good for the next couple of days, so I'll probably ride to work tomorrow & Tuesday. :D

lizard,

Thanks for the clear reply...

Would the lowering on a VFR 2005 also be 7/16 on rotating the triangles?

Didn't measure that when doing the mod. sad.gif

I thought I read somewhere on this forum, that it's about 20m lower for a 2005, can't remember for sure.

What did you do with the side stand? My bike already stands quite right up, a bit scary. And now that I will lower it even further, I was wondering how you, or someone else, fixed that with the side stand.

(Did everyone do it like MegaMan?)

Is a steering damper needed, when the forks are changed that much?

I think the bike might be more sensitive to shaking , when the angle of the forks is changed?

to be continued...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest VFR666

Hey guys I am 5'8'' and I could stand to lower my bike this way. But I want to make sure everything is right. I weigh about 170 lbs and ride mainly in very curvy mountian and country roads so the negative effect this mod may have on steering is important to me.

After I rotate the triangle bracket what should I do raise the front end ? Will my weight dictate how much please explain this for me in easy tersm I am new to mechanics of motocycles!

gallery_5849_1271_244680.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

IMG_0741.JPG

gallery_5849_1271_77003.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

IMG_0664.JPG

Edited by VFR666

• 1 month later...

Yes Rod,

It was you who inspired me in the first please, if I remember correctly.

I didn't have the chance to make such nice one's, mine are very crude, just a peace of tube and on that tube I welded something to fit the dip and the pin (sorry, english dictionary incomplete in my head wink.gif)

It looks bad when not mounted, but once in place, it's hard to even notice the thing.

btw, my ring's are 30mm high :o but the handle's are flush with the forks for maximum height, making the total drop on the forks about 20mm... hmm, memory overload...it IS originally 44mm , right? +1.gif It measure's 64mm from the top of the forks to the plate now.

Edited by ?art West-VL.

Weld you're side stand yourself...

Since I'm unable to start a new topic, here goes the next step I did;

'Shorten the side stand'...

I removed the side stand, cleaned it up real good and then started the modification.

First I cut off the lower end, then cut off a few mm the same way the first cut was done, whatever length desired.

I cut off a full cm! Because the rear and the front dropped quite a bit.

After the cutting is done, cleaned up the parts and grind a 45? angle to all sides, this is meant to fill up with the electrode, wich was stainless steel 316 in my case.

Just welding two part together, without this angled gap, wouldn't be strong enough!

The rest will be clear in the pictures.

O yeah, use Loctite, or something else, to secure the bolts and nuts!

Feel free to ask questions.

?.

gallery_6978_1750_29485.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

gallery_6978_1750_22108.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

gallery_6978_1750_13794.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

gallery_6978_1750_17978.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

gallery_6978_1750_13499.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Just ad a bit of acid to get this effect, it's not importend but it shows the difference between the weld and the original steel side stand.

gallery_6978_1750_11928.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

finished

gallery_6978_1750_13583.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

gallery_6978_1750_12113.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

?.

• 2 weeks later...
I can't pull the bike on the center stand anymore, without the help of someone pulling the bike backwards.

I lowered the back witch the 'rotate the triangle method' and dropped the front so it measures 64mm from the top of the forks, to the triangle plate.

What can I do?

How's your technique? You need to:

1. Put foot on centrestand tang and push to the ground

2. Right hand under lifting handle above left pillion peg

3. Left hand on left bar

Now simultaneously push down with your foot, pull up on the lifting handle, and pull back on the bar. Normally this should result in a smooth controlled lift onto the stand with very little effort. As you are lifting higher the effort required will be more, but still manageable.

Edit: forgot to say, nice work on the sidestand mod!

Edited by The Phantom

• 9 months later...
Guest Maico_996

I did my '02 today and I am very impressed with the difference. The back went down 3 cm (1.2 inches). We (and by "we" I mean the guys in the garage) then lowered the front 4 cm and now I can flat foot the bike. It feels completly different when I reach for the bars. Nice cheap mod!

• 4 weeks later...

To clear things up guys, the triangle linkage has to be rotated COUNTERCLOCKWISE?? Have we achieved a consensus on the height difference this mod does to VTEC models (I assume all models 02-07 have identical rear suspension components)? Also, anyone has the torque specs for the 3 triangle linkage bolts?

I'm about to do this to my 03, at 5'7" and 29" inseam, it's a must! By the way, when you guys measure your "inseam", you take your riding boots off??? Seems stupid but this makes a difference equivalent to the lowering mod!!

Thanks much!

Regards,

Bruckner

Edited by Bruckner

• Member Contributer
Also, anyone has the torque specs for the 3 triangle linkage bolts?

The triangle on the 4th gen is torqued at 45Nm or 33 ft-lb

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Since this thread is open I might as well ask for some feedback........My 5th gen has been lowered by previous owner. I've been riding with the bike in it's current set-up. I'm 5'10", 200 lbs......I've had some problems with bottoming out the rear end when I hit a rise or unavoidable hole...stator screw has left a few scratches into rubber. Placing the bike back to factory settings, what difference will I notice besides the ride height adjustment? I regularly push the bike hard on twisties and most of the riding is done in that fashion. Thanks for any feedback.

Edited by SA2360

• Member Contributer
I have a 2006 VFR800 and I got the rear lowered by rotating the triangle plates. I need help (picture guide) on to how lower the front forks via triple clamps.

Here's the link:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29516

Thanks!!!! It's only one thing that I don't understand in the guide. How do I secure the front end? Can I do one side at a time and not worry about the weight pressure being released.

Guest vfr.moua
I have a 2006 VFR800 and I got the rear lowered by rotating the triangle plates. I need help (picture guide) on to how lower the front forks via triple clamps.

Here's the link:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29516

Thanks!!!! It's only one thing that I don't understand in the guide. How do I secure the front end? Can I do one side at a time and not worry about the weight pressure being released.

I used the rear bike stand to balance the bike and a car jack under the header/engine to keep the front up. I don't know if you can do one side at a time but why not use a regular car jack and do both while you have everything supported? Hope this helps.

Another thing: You might consider shorting the kick stand as well. The bike will not lean as much as before and risk dropping the bike. Don't ask me how I know, but I know....

Edited by vfr.moua

• 10 months later...
Guest ALLSHOTUP
Should, they use the same shock linkage as far as I know.

Dealer did it to my 2005. Worked great. Lots lower for me, especially when combined with Sargent's work on my seat -- lower and more narrow at the front.

Just curious as to what the dealer charged you to make this adjustment to your bike. I could do this myself but would somewhat feel more comfortable if they did this as my bike is still under warranty.

thanks!

Eric

• Member Contributer
Should, they use the same shock linkage as far as I know.

Dealer did it to my 2005. Worked great. Lots lower for me, especially when combined with Sargent's work on my seat -- lower and more narrow at the front.

Just curious as to what the dealer charged you to make this adjustment to your bike. I could do this myself but would somewhat feel more comfortable if they did this as my bike is still under warranty.

thanks!

Eric

I had this completed in Jan of '06 when the dealer was doing some other work on the bike; sorry but I do not recall the cost just for that. I doubt that it was much since they had it on a lift anyway. It looks pretty simple to do. I know that it did not take them long because it was a "last minute" request on my part and they finished up really quickly. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

• Member Contributer

All : I have read through this thread and would like to perform this modification as I am inseam challenged. After looking at my VFR (1998) I am confused.

1) There appears to be two plates on either side of the bike that need to be rotated. I can figure out access to the plate on the chain side of the bike but not the exhaust side. Do the bolts run from the chain side to threads on the exhaust side?

2) Based on the picture, am I correct that point “C” must be rotated counter clock ways to point “A”?

3) Does the front end have to be lowered (forks raised) along w/ this modification?

4) Can all this really be done in 20 minutes?

Thanks and if there are any members in the Northwest Florida area (Pensacola) that have done this modification, I would appreciate their help. I will pay for the cold beverages of their choice and even spring for a burger. :D

• 3 months later...
Guest Mccoy
vfr%20dogbone%20and%20shock.jpg

I found out that if you remove the triangle shaped plates in the rear suspension and rotate them, you can lower the rear of the bike about 3/4" for free and in about 20 minutes. My wife who is 5'2" can now ride her bike and reach. I also have mine lowered so I can run my preload a little higher.

gallery_7263_1384_254692.jpg

suspension plate mod

Will this work for the 1993 vfr 750f as well?

• 8 months later...
Guest spyder

Just finished lowering my 2006 VFR and putting bar risers on. This is a great little trick rotating the triangle. Whoever figured that one out is a genius. I also installed longer dog bone from Sigma Cycle at the same time. Dropped the rear 1 7/8". I put a hydraulic car jack under the rear sprocket and chain and removed the rear wheel. This made access to all the nuts and bolts extremely easy. Also the jack which was on the left side of the bike made it super easy to line up the holes for the attachment to the rear dogbone. Lowered the front an inch and put Sigma bar risers on. Also installed the shorter Sigma kick stand. I know this means that there is a 7/8" difference between front and rear with front being a little higher. Dialed up the preload in the rear shock a little and its fine. My 30" inseam feet are flat footed in flat shoes. Bike is now perfect for my frame. Handling is SWEET. I'm using the bike for sport touring so the steering being a little slower is no big deal.