Motorcycle won't start

WarrenH

I have been riding my vfr for a couple for months and one day when riding the bike just turned off. I have tried to get it to neutral but the light is not showing up whenever I hit it and it stays in gear. I got a new battery and starter installed but whenever I try to start it up the motor doesn't turn on. I am wondering if the problem is with the engine and if I need to take it to the mechanic. I wanted to see if anyone else has advice?

• Member Contributer

Do you mean you can't get it into neutral when you say "it stays in gear"?  Or the lights don't show up?  Have you checked all the fuses?

• Member Contributer

When you try to get it in neutral, does the rear wheel turn if you push the bike? If the neutral light is blown, you can still see if its in neutral by pushing it. Sometimes you need to turn the rear wheel slightly to get the gearbox to slip into neutral. Difficult to tell if Yr saying the gearbox won't go into neutral or you have an electrical issue. 

What doesn't 't turn on? The Fi light? 

Sorry if that all sounds a bit basic but it's difficult to tell exactly what the circumstances of your issues are. 

• Member Contributer

When you turn key, does everything turn ON? Like headlights and dash?

This is 5-minute fix with multimeter. Do these 2 measurements:

1. battery voltage with everything OFF. volts = ???

2. battery voltage when pushing START button. volts = ???

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, WarrenH said:

I have been riding my vfr for a couple for months and one day when riding the bike just turned off. I have tried to get it to neutral but the light is not showing up whenever I hit it and it stays in gear. I got a new battery and starter installed but whenever I try to start it up the motor doesn't turn on. I am wondering if the problem is with the engine and if I need to take it to the mechanic. I wanted to see if anyone else has advice?

Hi Warren.

As you can see by all the questions you're being asked, your description is a little confusing. Can you be more specific about your issue/symptoms? We need to know for sure that your Starter always cranks the engine(or not) OR if it does crank the engine but the engine will not fire up? Can you actually get your bike into Neutral?

Firstly and Simply - Make Sure your Battery Terminals ARE clean and tight, AND that you are working with a fully charged Battery.

1 - Your Neutral Light is powered from the same source as your Oil Pressure Light and your Fi Light, so are these two lights working when you Turn On the Ignition?

For Info - Your Neutral Switch provides the Ground Side for your Neutral Light.(along with the Ground for the Starter Relay and ECM Ignition Enable signal).

2 - Do you hear the Fuel Pump prime for approximately 2 - 3secs every time you turn ON the Ignition Switch?

3 - With the Sidestand UP and Clutch pulled IN. Can your crank the Engine over AND does it Start?

4 - Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?

5 - Do you have a wiring diagram of your bike or the Service Manual which can be downloaded from this site?

Agree with DannoXYZ that you may!!! have a simple issue with an easy fix, we just need to know EXACTLY what your symptoms are?

• Member Contributer

Perhaps a Skype/Zoom call would be helpful...fun? We do those for our Honda CB-1 group. 

Archived