My Search For Fairings

Ziffer

• Member Contributer

Last summer, I crashed my 5th gen. I am now looking for street fairings. I have pretty much decided to go with Chinesium. My research has indicated that I should get injection molded plastics, and avoid compression molded plastics. Although, there seems to be many options for injection molded fairings for 6th gen, most Chinese 5th gen offerings are compression molded.

I have found an eBay ad for injection molded fairings (which I don't trust). They have a 96.4% positive feedback rating:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283948495799?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1ps6sL2ehR3WxCIkv7tKI3A35&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=283948495799&targetid=1644837434843&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=1020414&poi=&campaignid=16743749222&mkgroupid=138744546207&rlsatarget=pla-1644837434843&abcId=9300842&merchantid=115294799

I also found this eBay ad. They say they have injection molded fairings for a 5th gen, and they have a 100% positive feedback rating. But their picture is of 6th gen plastics:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275570735041

And then there is Fairing Express. They say ALL their fairings are injection molded. And they have 5th gen fairings... After enough research, I'm 99% sure this is a scam website.

So, I'm looking for injection molded fairings for my 5th gen. Anyone know where I can find some?

• Member Contributer

I bought some parts from an eBay seller called Auctmarts in 2015, the top and right fairing, plus the tail. I sent them a piece of my crashed fairing for a colour match and they did a nice job and the paint was high quality with no obvious defects, but more chip-prone than OEM. The fit of parts (and they were compression moulded) was great with a little massaging, the only glitch was the join between top and side fairing but even that wasn't awful. They were based in Guangzhou and English clearly was not their first language but I was very happy with the outcome. 

image.thumb.jpeg.3c6b4b1107a54228c7ca4878420e89a7.jpeg

• Member Contributer

I came across this eBay ad. They say these fairings are injection molded. I messaged them to get a confirmation that they were injection molded, not compression molded. They confirmed that they are injection molded.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275570735633

Quite frankly, I don't know if I should believe them.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Terry said:

I bought some parts from an eBay seller called Auctmarts in 2015, the top and right fairing, plus the tail. I sent them a piece of my crashed fairing for a colour match and they did a nice job and the paint was high quality with no obvious defects, but more chip-prone than OEM. The fit of parts (and they were compression moulded) was great with a little massaging, the only glitch was the join between top and side fairing but even that wasn't awful. They were based in Guangzhou and English clearly was not their first language but I was very happy with the outcome. 

Yours came out looking good. If I could be sure to get some that fit that well, I'd go for it. But it seems to be hit and miss. It's gotten to the point where I'm thinking I should just get the best used factory fairings I can find and patch, repair, sand, and paint them.

• Member Contributer

I read through the fairing debacle Greg had:

And fonque:

It really made me not want to deal with Chinesium compression molded fairings.

• Member Contributer

I got a part set of Chinese 5th gen panels 2nd hand, but unused. The original purchaser only needed the front cowl after hitting a small deer. 

The replacements would NOT marry up with the original top cowl nor fit proper around the engine & join up. I'm sure they would have fitted up if they were all  the Chinese set. So I found a 2nd hand left panel after a lot of searching. 

The rear & infills look good & should git if ever needed. 

• Member Contributer
On 1/27/2023 at 6:25 PM, Terry said:

It appears Auctmarts doesn't sell a fairing kit for the 5th gen anymore.

• Member Contributer

After much searching, I have come to the conclusion that NOBODY makes injection molded fairings for a 5th gen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Well, I purchased a set of Chinese Fairings off Amazon. They are advertised as injection molded. Even had a picture to show the difference. Honestly, I don't believe it. I think when they get here (supposed to be between April 10 to 26) they're going to be compression molded...and I'm gonna be pissed. I'll keep you guys updated.

• Member Contributer

Before ordering, I had left a question on their Amazon page asking if they were really injection molded fairings. After I ordered, I got a response from them. They said they were not injection molded, so sorry... I cancelled my order.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, VFR750F3 said:

vfr800 fairings 1998 injection

just enter that into ebay.

Already done that. There are ads on eBay saying they are selling injection molded fairings for a 2000 VFR, but they are compression molded. If you press them on it, they will say, "Oh, so sorry, these are not injection molded, mistake made in ad." But the ads keeping popping back up claiming injection molding. At this point, I realize it's not a mistake, it's a scam.

I think you can get injection molded fairings for a 6th gen.

• Member Contributer

Anyone know who the OEM supplier of fairings was for Honda for the 5th gen? Those molds are probably still out there somewhere at the company who supplied Honda.

• Member Contributer
16 minutes ago, Ziffer said:

Anyone know who the OEM supplier of fairings was for Honda for the 5th gen? Those molds are probably still out there somewhere at the company who supplied Honda.

And just like Givi told somebody recently looking for some VFR luggage, they couldn't sell any official Honda parts.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

And just like Givi told somebody recently looking for some VFR luggage, they couldn't sell any official Honda parts.

Maybe. But maybe they could sell unofficial Honda (aftermarket) parts. I saw where a guy restoring a Ninja was able to get OEM quality fairings from a Kawi supplier. They even said Kawasaki inside them. Of course, if Honda was still selling 5th gen VFRs, or selling the fairings, that would probably be a breach of contract.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

How about some fibreglass fairings? I've always used them on my road & track bikes and they hold up much, much better in crash. Also fewer pieces making mounting & removing much, much easier.

https://www.airtech-streamlining.com/honda-fairings-seats-fenders-parts/VFR8001998-01.htm

My '05 CBR600RR track-bike, converted back to road use.
uc?export=download&id=10WmfNBfgsF6Sku7jP

uc?export=download&id=12hPqtCduO0yfWOXk9

Ninja 250 race-bike, crashed at Sears Point Sonoma. Fibreglass just scratches, doesn't break in millions of pieces like plastic.
uc?export=download&id=1lq8pHar-2JiuhoCF5

Repaired, painted and back on track

uc?export=download&id=1wcprCu6aRx45iMpt8

Archived