Battery leads - Gen 6

Dorian

Does a VFR800 VTEC have an extra, smaller, lead at the positive battery terminal as standard? Mine has one and it's snapped. Assumed it was for the Oxford heated grips, so not critical to fix.

However, the bike won't start after standing inside for 2 months over winter. It cranks strongly though.

• Member Contributer

What colour is this wire? If its a Red/Yellow then it's the wire feeding Main Fuse B 30amp, without this wire properly connected to the battery your EFI system is dead = no running.(See drawing attached).

Are you hearing the Fuel Pump prime every time you switch On the Ignition?

20230125_100617.jpg

14 hours ago, Grum said:

What colour is this wire? If its a Red/Yellow then it's the wire feeding Main Fuse B 30amp, without this wire properly connected to the battery your EFI system is dead = no running.(See drawing attached).

Are you hearing the Fuel Pump prime every time you switch On the Ignition?

Edit/correction: it's a black wire with some red taping/insulator over the end. There was a circular connector but that's the part which has snapped off during battery disconnection. I'm still leaning towards it being the heated grips. There's two extra negative/ground wires under the seat - one for the Power Commander and another that I also think is for the grips.

vfr-batt-term.jpg

Guys - sorted it! As in the bike now starts. Took another look at the connection and the negative was a bit loose, causing the Power Commander ground wire not to properly connect. Sorted that and she fires up! Phew

As expected the heated grips don't work, that's going to need the other cable repairing, but at least the bike runs now. And as ever, she sounds good.

Archived