Hey D, so what's been happening with you?

• Member Contributer

Good luck with the license, be careful what you say to them, it might be used against you. I went to the hospital a few years ago because I got dizzy and passed out in my kitchen. After I described the experience the doc that saw me in the ER pulled my license and said I needed to see a neurologist, but none wanted to see me as soon as they knew it was a license suspension. I live out in the country so this was a massive handicap. After 9 months of trying to get any doctor to sign the reinstatement form (nothing ever found and I had every possible test) I threatened to sue the ministry of transport for discrimination and had it back in 2 days..

Be careful what you tell a doctor if you live in Ontario.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, SEBSPEED said:

Sorry you had to go through that, but it sounds like you're bouncing back quickly! 

Thanks Seb. Yeah, not only am I surprised on my speed of recovery, I think I've surprised my Dr.'s too! Happy to be back and into the fray (somehwat) but ultimately, once I can drive and better yet, once I can ride again, will I feel completely healed.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, Dangeruss said:

Good luck with the license, be careful what you say to them, it might be used against you. I went to the hospital a few years ago because I got dizzy and passed out in my kitchen. After I described the experience the doc that saw me in the ER pulled my license and said I needed to see a neurologist, but none wanted to see me as soon as they knew it was a license suspension. I live out in the country so this was a massive handicap. After 9 months of trying to get any doctor to sign the reinstatement form (nothing ever found and I had every possible test) I threatened to sue the ministry of transport for discrimination and had it back in 2 days..

Be careful what you tell a doctor if you live in Ontario.

Yeah, ironically, all I have to say, and it's the truth, I feel great! The threat that was in my head is now 100% gone (confirmed by the surgeon) and now more or less, it's just playing the waiting game. In all honesty it feels weird discussing it sometimes, as I really don't feel like I've had surgery. Other than parts of my head (along the stitches), which are still a little numb, and without looking in a mirror, I would never even have guessed I had brain surgery. The events leading up to them and the actual process of having the surgery, is really the story. The recovery process has been nothing but unreal to me, but I'll take that any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

• Member Contributer
On 2/21/2023 at 10:46 AM, Sweeper said:

Watch for side effects of antiseizure meds. They had my dad on some last year and he wasn't doing well at all. He is 94, but still, watch for any and read up on whatever you're taking. Glad you feel up to working. 

Yeah, the main side effect to what they have me on is that it can sometimes make one drowsy. Prior to my surgery, just after the seizure they had me on 4 pills a day, 2 in the morning and 2 at night. When I was on that dosage, I would sometimes feel a little drowsy, but nothing too extreme. On the new regiment, it's only 2 pills a day, 1 in the morning and 1 at night, and I don't feel any side effects (knock on wood). So far so good, so I'll comply with the rules and wait but can't believe how much I miss riding. Not only do I commute via motorcycle, I also play on the weekends on one, unfortunately that's put on hold for now. Tick Tock, Tick Tock...

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

The recovery process has been nothing but unreal to me, but I'll take that any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

At the end of the day the fact you are here sharing this with us is all that matters. I imaging some of the things you took for granted or ordinary before look a little brighter, taste a little better and smell a little sweeter. Life is good. ☀️

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Figured it was time for an update.

So two things have happened since my last post. For starters, I did end up having another seizure in early April, albeit a small one. Ironically, it was just after my initial 90 day wait period. In all honesty though, it was 100% my fault. Not one for taking medication, particularly, one that has to be done daily, I missed a weekends worth. I should add though, that I have been feeling great and up until that point, felt like I never even had any seizure or surgery for that matter. Unfortunately, my brain was bruised enough from the first seizure, that even though the original threat was removed, and healing was doing good, the bruising was enough to give me the potential for further seizures. So missing my weekend dosage, was enough to trigger another seizure. That'll teach me to be more diligent and make sure I keep taking my medication. So I have corrected that bad behavior! and have a system in place so that I don't forget to take my medication. Currently, the medication is the one thing that will prevent further issues and hopefully get me to the finish line without any more pitfalls.

The second thing, this is the good part. I had my follow up appointment with my Neurosurgeon and he said everything looks great, the skull has healed and the brain, although still a little bruised, looks to be healing up as well. So my obvious first question was..."So, do you think I could put on a motorcycle helmet again without worries?" His answer was somewhat what I expected. "Well, you can put on helmet again but don't suggest you ride just yet, maybe get your license reinstated first". When I told him I would most likely be doing track work not be on public roads, he was still hesitant to give his OK but none the less, preferred I don't do anything that might possibly cause further brain injury. Although I agreed with him on the latter part, I reassured him that I would not be doing anything too fast or wild to risk it.

So what does this mean, it means I'm getting closer to my goal, and that is to get back on that horse and do what I enjoy doing. The only hiccup is that I reset the 90 day waiting period because of the small seizure I had in April. But knowing that things are looking better, I feel more relieved and I'm hoping the wait won't feel as long as these past few months. That's it for now.

Cheers,

D

• Like 5

• Member Contributer

Glad to hear that you're on the mend, despite a little setback. 

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the update Darryl, keep 'em coming, I want a pic of your first ride. Hang in there you're quickly getting back to normal.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, MBrane said:

FAFO huh?

Looking forward to riding with you again so don't screw up anymore OK?

Yeah, no more screw ups! My wife has been very good at ensuring I'm following my medicine regiment, so we're looking good there.

• Member Contributer

The carrot of riding again ought to obviate the need for Mrs Duc to use the stick, but it sounds like she wouldn't hesitate if it was needed. 😂

Best wishes m8. :beer:

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

That's great news Duc, glad you're well on the way to riding after such an ordeal,  you'll soon be on the Steel Stallion again. 

I know how you feel in missing the riding. I've been off my bike for just over 3 months from major surgery and can't wait to get riding again, sadly winter is just around the corner, buggar!

Take care, ride safe.

Cheers.:fing02::wheel:

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Let us know when you're ready! Highway 23 and 27 look tasty! Also wouldn't mind another Kernville trip... 

Well, if you need to slow it down at the track, just buy a SuperMoto and hang out at the local Go-Kart track. They are so much fun! You can stuff that front wheel into some impossible situations, and it just pulls you right out - top speed around 70 mph. I use my Tenere as a Supermoto now, on all the tight twisty roads around here.

If in doubt, one leg out... :tour:

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, RC1237V said:

Let us know when you're ready! Highway 23 and 27 look tasty! Also wouldn't mind another Kernville trip... 

Well, if you need to slow it down at the track, just buy a SuperMoto and hang out at the local Go-Kart track. They are so much fun! You can stuff that front wheel into some impossible situations, and it just pulls you right out - top speed around 70 mph. I use my Tenere as a Supermoto now, on all the tight twisty roads around here.

If in doubt, one leg out... :tour:

I actually did the So Cal Super Moto class last year, definitely fun stuff!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

So, not saying I actually rode anywhere, cause that might not be quite legal just yet. However, I did get to spend some time with friends who do get to ride. Yesterday we found ourselves at Revzilla and The 'D-Store', which I call my store, for an obvious reason. Then we were able share a 30" pizza at a place called Trenta a few doors away from the D-Store. Anyway great food and great company. How one's bike found it's way there, I'm not sure but I think many can guess how! Although these are small steps folks, it is still progress.

Cheers,

D

Gaggle of Bikes.jpg

Hanging at the D-Store.JPEG

Large Pizza.JPEG

Natalia.JPEG

Long, Lyle and D.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
29 minutes ago, bmart said:

Guzzi!

Yeah, that’s my friend Lyle’s bike. He actually rents that out. He just got the ignition fixed, so he wanted to test ride it before putting it back up for rental.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Figured time for another update about me and my condition. On the good side of things, all of my last Dr. visits and test since my last "episode" say I'm pretty much mended and I am now getting to the last days of the 90 wait period that got reset back in April. What does that mean? I finally become eligible to submit my paperwork to the DMV to see if I can get my license reinstated!

I have to say, I know there are other members here who have had to put off riding for one reason or another, although mostly seem to be based on physical issues and recovery. However, feeling like I'm back to normal and feeling like literally nothing happened to me has been the hardest thing I've had to deal with. Riding has been such a HUGE part of my life, starting in my teens and ultimately being suddenly being interrupted in my mid 50's was a shock to my system. It was all just too foreign to me, something I hope I'll never have to deal with again, and I know those other members feel the same. Even though I'm only days away from submitting my paperwork, it still feels like an eternity away.

OK, enough feeling sorry for myself, I'm almost there and feel so grateful that, not only can I share my story, but can tell it to you all personally. As some of you may know, I'm also part of the crew that is involved in getting the "WyLD" headers to our valued members and as such, know the pain of "hurry up and wait". Being that this was a big part of my personal "pain", I had to do something. If you follow that thread, you'll know that I opted to purchase the last few headers, that for one reason or another, just didn't get purchased. "F" that, this is going to happen sooner rather than later! In other words, you can thank my personal situation for getting this moved forward sooner rather than later. I'm not looking for praise here, I'm just saying, I didn't want fellow members to have to go through what I've been going though for these last few months! Trust me, it's not a good feeling.

Although I have been keeping myself busy, not only with personal projects but some projects for my friends and friends of friends. Another passion to riding, is working on bikes, I'm no Sebspeed, but I have my moments and have been able to help many members and friends get their issues resolved. I'm not one for making money from this but more the satisfaction that I could contribute and help others and this alone has helped me keep myself occupied enough to not think about my situation, so there is some benefit to me there.

Being that I have limited travel options, I tried to spend a lot of my time stuck at home in my garage (D's Garage as I like to call it) and work on little things I never got around to doing when I didn't have this travel issue. Some of which are for fixes/updates to my Ducati, 01 and 09 VFRs (Re: my name Duc2V4). All in all, I am feeling really positive and hope to be able to ride "legally" again with those I have shared rides with in the past and possibly other members I have not met personally yet.

Oh yeah, in order to get things moving along faster, I've might have made a deal with the Duvel...

Cheers,

D

IMG_7952.thumb.jpeg.0fb35fc21520fa1697374905df701ee6.jpeg

• Like 7

• Member Contributer

Cheers Darryl! Can't wait for that pic of you (legally) riding for the first time. Which one first?

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

A Duvel.....

Many moons ago (when I was 18), drank 12 bottles over New Years Eve.  Started that year with the largest hangover in history 🤢🙂

• Haha 1

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, St. Stephen said:

Cheers Darryl! Can't wait for that pic of you (legally) riding for the first time. Which one first?

Well, hard to say, I miss riding in Malibu but have not gotten much intel on how that area is currently, also thought about Angeles Crest area, still up in the air. I know it’ll been an all day affair, that’s for sure!

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Dutchy said:

A Duvel.....

Many moons ago (when I was 18), drank 12 bottles over New Years Eve.  Started that year with the largest hangover in history 🤢🙂

Been there before too. It was actually on my first visit to Belgium. Got a bit too involved with Duvel, was barely able to get up and catch my plane to England. Not fun traveling when you’re head is still spinning!

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the status report. Looks like things are going well. Going to be moving again next couple of weeks. 33 is still closed, and most of the other roads around here have work ongoing so take your time. I'll enjoy a few Belgians in your honor.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
Just now, MBrane said:

Thanks for the status report. Looks like things are going well. Going to be moving again next couple of weeks. 33 is still closed, and most of the other roads around here have work ongoing so take your time. I'll enjoy a few Belgians in your honor.

I was wondering how 33 was going but figured you’d chime in on it if it was ready to ride. Considering it’s the DMV I’ll be dealing with, that “take your time” may also not be my choice! My wife is still dealing with the EDD trying to get paid for taking time off work to stay home with me while in recovery…yep, 6 months down the road and they’re still giving her the run around.