6th Gen Catalytic Converter issue (red hot)

sericjnr

Hi folks,

I'm coming to the end of assembling a bit of a budget VFR. I bought a cheap damaged 06 VFR and it started and ran just fine, but had a damaged frame, so I couldn't test ride it. 

I got a second hand frame and basically transferred all of the rest of the bike across to the other frame. 

I got it running a few days ago and have just taken it on it's first test ride, a short ride of about a mile near my house. I got about a half mile in first gear and the bike developed a bit of a miss, so I stopped to have a look if anything was wrong. The catalytic converter was glowing red hot and the bike had a very rough idle. I took it home and shut it down. 

Has anyone ever encountered this or anything similar? I'm thinking that I may have a blockage in the CAT or possibly over-fuelling. No fault codes and the bike started and idled pretty smoothly once I let it cool down. 

Thinking back, it does seem to me that the bike doesn't rev as freely or a s quickly as I thought it should. It's my first VTEC bike and doesn't seem to pick up rev's as quickly as my old 5th gen . 

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Member Contributer

Wonder if you have a leaky Fuel Pressure Regulator?

The FPR vacuum line will draw excessive fuel into cylinders 3 & 4 if the internal diaphragm is ruptured.

Check the vacuum line off the FPR, make sure its dry and no sign of fuel drips from the FPR vacuum connection, any sign of fuel will mean the FPR diaphragm has ruptured.

Archived