Are there any endurance series in which to race a 5th Gen?

Stray

• Member Contributer

Hello All, 

Bunch of friends and I are toying with the idea of endurance racing a 5th Gen in the UK. 

Can those of you in the know point us towards a suitable race series or event? I've done some track days but never raced. Then last year I met a chap who campaigns an RC45 in endurance races and was intrigued. Lost his contact details though!

Based on the fact a 5th gen can be made just about as potent as an RC45 with the correct mods, this would be a cheap and cheerful way to get some racing kicks without breaking the bank. 

Any thoughts most welcome!

Best, 

Stray

• Member Contributer

Is there a classic/antique/old guys racing series or three? 

• Member Contributer
On 1/16/2023 at 7:50 PM, bmart said:

Is there a classic/antique/old guys racing series or three? 

That’s what I’d love to know. Apparently there’s a race series for VFR powered cars too! 

• Member Contributer

Was looking for VFR race series online and stumbled across this video of Steve Hislop doing an Isle of Mann TT lap on his RC30…scary as hell. The man was a legend with balls of steel: 

Gets scarier as it goes on. I love how he says “just taking it easy through here” with the throttle pinned to the stop at 170MPH. 

Overtaking slower riders like they’re parked…

• Member Contributer

Looks and sounds like he has it well in hand with minimal effort. Kudos. 

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, V4 Rosso said:

I once read a series of articles in a Belgian magazine called Motorrijder where they prepped a 5th gen for endurance racing. Can't find the article at the moment but below is a clip of that 5th gen riding at Zolder.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1459725114099875

I think that was the Bio-Blade, which was a 5th gen in Blade clothing. Built by a magazine. I contacted the Journalist responsible at the time. It was lightly breathed on & run on ethanol, hence the bio part of its name. It made 124hp at the wheel & had USD forks & ran in the Belgium modern classic endurance series. 

• Member Contributer

Aren't they old enough for old bike racing with CCS or WERA here in the states? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Looks like the VFR would never work as a competitive endurance racer. The 600 class is too small (goes up to 749cc) and the 1000 class is too big (goes up to 1250cc). 

Modern litre bikes make 200hp in stock trim, and they’re lighter/better equipped than the VFR. 

Also can’t run in the pre-injection classes because she’s got injection, although it’s a rudimentary early version. 

Will have to find something else for the old girl to do. 

Archived