Gas cap for 1986 VFR750F

VFR750F3

I purchased a $22.00 gas cap from Aliexpress ie Arashi for a Kawasaki.  Cost me 2 cases of Heineken $60 to machine it down a little bit and about $6.00 in new bolts.

• Member Contributer

I can tell you that track guys replace them to avoid the hassle of a key. They frequently go keyless to start also with a harness modification. One of my bikes is like that, the other is keyed for both. 

• Member Contributer

Yep, I built the RC26 keyless

20201015_172919.thumb.jpg.081cbb1e170734aea68ebaee0af79988.jpg

I had a gas cap key on a stud with a wing nut up on the upper cowl stay.  That was fine, but I wanted to go full keyless just cuz.  Well, the 86 VFR cap has a slightly different bolt pattern than later Hondas.  I came across a brief mention on a NSR50 forum about the same problem and they mentioned a Kawasaki ZX cap that matched.  So I started doing some research and decided to take a chance on what I thought was the correct one.  I bought the cheapest used Vortex cap I could find.

20211008_060234.thumb.jpg.defce55cf2ac88a8cd23e3ab5eae11d5.jpg

Had the OD milled down a couple millimeters so it recessed in the tank properly.  I purchased a sheet of Viton rubber in the same thickness as the Vortex gaskets and cut out a new gasket with the correct ID for the cap and the correct OD for the fuel tank.  Used some spacers to get the reveal height just right, but still make sure I was compressing the gasket enough.

20211008_060211.thumb.jpg.7df9974b343d4b0368193eeeb9976bd7.jpg

You can see the impression in the gasket showing the offset between the Kaw tank opening and VFR.

20211008_055737.thumb.jpg.ea4b90146453e32c5200992c9fc74a85.jpg

All my bikes I ride have keyless gas caps..  It is one less thing to do for my track bike and for my RRR with a keyless fob.  And they look much better.

• Member Contributer
28 minutes ago, bmart said:

One keyless ignition option, if you trust humans. 

https://woodcraft-cfm.com/collections/keyswitch-elimination-harness

Cool. 

I simply took an extra female connector like the ignition switch has and made the necessary connections with the R / R-BK going to a high quality marine toggle up behind the gauges.  But this era of bikes can be simply "hot wired" like that and it enables full functionality.

Quick flick with a finger.  You can't really see it and nobody hardly notices what I'm doing.  But it is a bike that I don't just leave unattended for long periods of time either.  I can also slightly unplug the harness connector for a little more piece of mind if I'm concerned.  I never have.

• Member Contributer

So that is just the harness connector to then go to one their custom switches with RFID being an option?  Pretty cool.

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, bmart said:

One keyless ignition option, if you trust humans. 

https://woodcraft-cfm.com/collections/keyswitch-elimination-harness

Sorry, $65 for some wire and connectors?  I must be missing something...

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, JZH said:

Ciao,

JZH

I kept looking for more in the description too.  Then I realized it was just a sub-harness.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, JZH said:

Ciao,

JZH

Correct. Most people don't know crap about crap, and the ability to toss the old stuff and plug-n-play with this items is totally worth it. and, it is a one time cost...which I can also say about the $200 I just paid a guy to not fix my KLX carburetor problem. Humans...the worst. 

Archived