Parts compatability between VFR 800 & 1200

MrBrightside

This may be common knowledge, but for me being a new VFR 1200 owner, (2010), it was a welcome surprise to find out that the rear carrier rack on a 2014 VFR 800 was exactly the same as the one for a 2010 VFR 1200, which is no longer available anywhere. I did find a new topbox, but the carrier was impossible to find until after much searching I found a reference to a different part number, which turned out to be the 800 carrier. Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there in case anybody else is looking for the same part. Mine came with the side panniers, but not the topbox, so now it's ready to hit the road!

Probably so! I was very surprised to find this out, and didn't really believe it until I installed it, but it makes sense for Honda as a cost savings. Too bad all the dealers that I talked to looking for the carrier didn't know about the compatability, I'd been looking for months.

• Member Contributer

The easiest thing to check for compatibility is the "PCN" portion of the part number.  The PCN represents the first model Honda used the part on, and if the same part is subsequently used on another model (er, without any significant changes...) the same PCN will appear in the part number for the later model.  In this case, "MGE" is the PCN for the 2010 VFR1200, so if there are any parts from that model on the later model, they will/might also have MGE in the part number. 

However, as I mentioned above, if Honda does make changes to the part when it is used on the later model, the PCN might instead be updated to that of the newer model--even if it would still physically fit on both.  I should probably also mention that Honda "accessories" often reflect a different PCN to begin with, so might not have a model-related PCN in the middle.  It seems to depend on how generic the accessory is.

(I miss Honda's part numbering system--with my JDM Hiace/LS430 V8 swap I've been totally immersed in Toyota/Lexis-related technical information for the last several years.  Remind me to never take on an another immense new project which crowds out all of my other unfinished projects...)

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
On 1/10/2023 at 9:21 AM, MrBrightside said:

This may be common knowledge, but for me being a new VFR 1200 owner, (2010), it was a welcome surprise to find out that the rear carrier rack on a 2014 VFR 800 was exactly the same as the one for a 2010 VFR 1200, which is no longer available anywhere. I did find a new topbox, but the carrier was impossible to find until after much searching I found a reference to a different part number, which turned out to be the 800 carrier. Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there in case anybody else is looking for the same part. Mine came with the side panniers, but not the topbox, so now it's ready to hit the road!

Sadly for you, it has been known for a while. If only you'd asked. 

It's much worse with the VFR800F and the VFR800X. Loads of compatible parts but difficult to tell which are and which aren't. 

Luckily they don't often need replacement parts. 

Archived