Let's say you bought a 6th gen with issues...

WDIV

• Member Contributer

[Real questions and plead for help at the bottom]

Let's say you bought a 6th gen with issues. Not starting issues or big issues. Little issues like it's obviously been dropped a time or two at least on each side. I had a lot of clues pointing to this (scratched pegs front and passenger, small scratches in paint on the tank from the fairings rubbing, etc) but I bought it anyways. I've liked the VFR for long time and really wanted to get one so here we are.

The test ride was okay but the clutch seemed... to have issues. Like it didn't actually disengage the clutch until the final millimeter of travel and the brakes were incredibly touchy. Like one finger endo kind of touchy. 

52507922587_12b426b499_z_d.jpg

I knew the 11 year old tires had to go right off the bat. 

spacer.png

For the brakes, I just adjusted the lever in and this seemed to help a ton with modulation. (Also, the fluid looks new). Seemed like a good time for shiny new levers too since the previous ones looked like the bike had definitely been on it's side a few times. 

spacer.png

For the clutch feel, I figured a clutch master rebuild kit would help. I even found the infamous return hole everyone talks about. 

spacer.png

When bleeding the clutch though... I don't remember where I found the suggestion but someone said to put a c-clamp on the slave cylinder and it should bleed. Sure enough, after trying the traditional way, that worked. My understanding is my slave cylinder might be failing so I'll either rebuild it or buy the oberon replacement soon. Also the pittsburg clamp didnt' work and I ended up breaking out the bessey. 

spacer.png

Coming from an SV650... it's hard to find parts for the VFR. This tail cowl took a month to get here from china and it's just ABS. 

spacer.png

Also didnt know how to make the seat stay so M3 rivnuts it is...

spacer.png

So far so good. 

spacer.png

Orderd an ABS fairing set from china... because I found...

spacer.png

52598379951_a29d7ec197_z_d.jpg

Did I mention I purchased a 2005? Yeah...

Oh, and did the first mod to the bike after pulling the fairings

52557909158_b12768e5f6_z_d.jpg

52559425577_4b8e070e18_z_d.jpg

52580640834_f5c81dd9a8_z_d.jpg

Broken fairing mounts...

52580814815_075874d079_z_d.jpg

52598903773_f32dbba53e_z_d.jpg

Went to change the air filter and someone already deleted the snorkle but at least the filter was new...

52580814770_51b3f583a2_z_d.jpg

Deleted passenger pegs and filed the holes with M8x16mm bolts. 

52587898058_a07479e0ab_z_d.jpg

Ordered white vinyl wrap to do the tank to match. yes, it'll be my first time with vinyl wrap lol. 

52603148317_2a91b7ef17_c_d.jpg

So, QUESTIONS:

1) I can tell the wiring looks a little... special on this bike. Are there better wiring harnesses out there for the main/sub harnesses so will I need to buy used ones as templates to make better ones? 

2) Would you change the reg/rec/stator/relevant wiring right off the bat? I'm tempted to just do it so I can worry less but I'm not sure what I should do. 

3) What other mods would you do? I'm going to get fork springs/oil for my fat butt and the rear shock rebuilt by... DMR? Is that the rec on here? 

4) I had questions about wiring too. Already downloaded the manual and can see the paths but I'm pretty sure the wires on the right side of my bike are run incorrectly, especially the wire to the gas recirc/evap system...

• Member Contributer

https://roadstercycle.com/#SH847_SERIES_RR_KITS_ARE_NOW_AVAILABLE_

I have these on both my '99s along with the voltage monitors. It separates the charging system from the puny factory harness. Both bikes have factory stators that were replaced several years ago when you could still get them. I would order one up for yourself, and just keep it handy for when yours eventually dies.

Suspension is the best mod you can make to almost any bike. Both my '99s have Traxxion fork internals/caps, and Penske 8987 shocks.

Both my '99s have been de-emissioned. Not because it really does much for performance it just makes it so much easier to do regular maintenance.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Is there a step by step de-emission thread? I might like to do this to the '98 and '00. 

Install a volt meter asap. Check the connectors on the wiring from the R/R, Stator, and battery. Those are the trouble spots other than the stator itself. When the voltage starts to drop, you will know its time.

When you wrap the tank, add some carbon down the top so that you wrap in three sections. It will make it a lot easier and tie in with your seat cowl.

Cut a mesh gutter guard to cover that hole in the airbox. I used silver hvac tape to hold it on. It will keep the mice out.

Nice work BTW, its looking good!

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, bmart said:

Is there a step by step de-emission thread? I might like to do this to the '98 and '00. 

There are treads here that describe what needs to be done, but the bottom line is just removing the PAIR, and evaporative BS that just adds needless complexity, and weight.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Sweeper said:

Install a volt meter asap. Check the connectors on the wiring from the R/R, Stator, and battery. Those are the trouble spots other than the stator itself. When the voltage starts to drop, you will know its time.

When you wrap the tank, add some carbon down the top so that you wrap in three sections. It will make it a lot easier and tie in with your seat cowl.

Cut a mesh gutter guard to cover that hole in the airbox. I used silver hvac tape to hold it on. It will keep the mice out.

Nice work BTW, its looking good!

So the bike came with one but after a quick post on FB, I tested the actual numbers with a multimeter and the one the bike came with reads .6-.7 volts low lol. That said, I suspect it'll still work to let me know when the R/R is going out.
I'm going to wrap the rear seat cowl too. It's just ABS 😛
Good call on the gutter guard. Not that I have mice but I'm thinking I'll build a small mount for it so it'll sit relatively pretty.

9 hours ago, MBrane said:

I have these on both my '99s along with the voltage monitors. It separates the charging system from the puny factory harness. Both bikes have factory stators that were replaced several years ago when you could still get them. I would order one up for yourself, and just keep it handy for when yours eventually dies.

Suspension is the best mod you can make to almost any bike. Both my '99s have Traxxion fork internals/caps, and Penske 8987 shocks.

Both my '99s have been de-emissioned. Not because it really does much for performance it just makes it so much easier to do regular maintenance.

Already bookmarked and on my list 🙂

• Member Contributer
8 minutes ago, WDIV said:

the one the bike came with reads .6-.7 volts low

Probably set to Chinese volts. 🙂

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 1/6/2023 at 12:00 PM, MBrane said:

If the stator dies, will it take the RR/battery with it? That seems to be the case if the RR dies but I can't find anything about the stator dying and causing issues. I ask because I put the SH847 in place yesterday (but ran out of time to pull the old one out completely and mount the 847)

52764007902_c89bb06f21_c_d.jpg

• Member Contributer

When a stator dies it causes excess current in the system. If not caught right away it will likely cook the R/R. This is why you want a voltage monitor of some kind. The battery may or may not survive depending on it's type, and condition.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, WDIV said:

If the stator dies, will it take the RR/battery with it? That seems to be the case if the RR dies but I can't find anything about the stator dying and causing issues. I ask because I put the SH847 in place yesterday (but ran out of time to pull the old one out completely and mount the 847)

52764007902_c89bb06f21_c_d.jpg

Hi - I have a bunch of these R/R mount plates for 6gen left over.... PM if interested. 

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/95120-6th-gen-rr-mounts-for-fh020aa-and-sh847/

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, MBrane said:

When a stator dies it causes excess current in the system. If not caught right away it will likely cook the R/R. This is why you want a voltage monitor of some kind. The battery may or may not survive depending on it's type, and condition.

I guess I need to get a better volt meter than the dinky one the bike came with. 

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, MBrane said:

no

I didn't notice the first time I looked at your original post but I do think that's a fifth gen tank. They did come in silver. If I'm not mistaken, silver was only in 03 on the sixth gens. It makes me think someone had an off and put her back together with OEM used parts.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Sweeper said:

I didn't notice the first time I looked at your original post but I do think that's a fifth gen tank. They did come in silver. If I'm not mistaken, silver was only in 03 on the sixth gens. It makes me think someone had an off and put her back together with OEM used parts.

With the front fairing and one of the side fairings labeled as 03, I wouldn't doubt it. *sigh*

Negative on the silver tank for Gen 5, just came as red for each year except the 2000 yellow for USA.

ed06d73cb25583c20b12784a19f344c6.jpg
Silver was a Europe only color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Also tested the stator and according to numbers I found online, they look great. I'm guessing either my RR took a poop or $45 amazon batteries aren't great. Picked up a NOCO to try out the 5 year warranty.

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, MBrane said:

Did you test the stator at operating temperature? They can test OK cold, but fail hot.

I tested it cold but now you've got me thinking I have one more test to do 😭

• Member Contributer

Same with most related electronics. Always at operating temp. Coils... Put your gloves on!

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I've experienced more than one stator failure, and they've all happened during high temps/low speed operation. Heat is enemy #1.

image.thumb.jpeg.60280a735869dca131134efa01150c9b.jpeg

Don't let the rain fool you. Temp was mid 90's here.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, MBrane said:

I've experienced more than one stator failure, and they've all happened during high temps/low speed operation. Heat is enemy #1.

image.thumb.jpeg.60280a735869dca131134efa01150c9b.jpeg

Don't let the rain fool you. Temp was mid 90's here.

This doesn't instill confidence but it is motivating to make sure everything is squared away first. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Warmed up the bike, tested at 5k RPM and 60v+ are being out put which is great. Sitting at idle, 20v steady between all three legs. I got zeros at first because I had my multimeter set at DC cus I'm a dummie but good to go on AC.

Thank you all! (also, went ahead and orderd an OEM stator/gasket as a just in case for the future)