Riding position?

Gimpymoo

Hello.

I passed my Mod2 in November and am very interested in a VFR800, 2000, 5th Gen.

Can someone kindly elaborate as to the riding position on the VFR? I have checked cycle ergo and that does not look too extreme but have seen pictures wth people riding in a more relaxed position. I am 6ft2, 44 years old.

My only riding experience upto now has been a CBF125 and Yamaha MT07. I know the VFR is not relaxed as those but opinions of riders is very welcome.

2up will be a definite use.

Thank you.

Bar risers, Helibars, or handlebar conversion will help the ergos for a tall rider. I have Helibars and find that they make a huge difference in neck comfort. Peg lower blocks would be a good idea too but I never got around to them. The VFR is not the best at anything but you'd be hard pressed to find a better all around sport tourer. 

For reference, I'm six foot even and 64 years old.

• Member Contributer

Height is useful, but arm and leg length may help you more. 

I'm 5' 10.5" and 160#, long limbs. I have Helibars on one and Belarus risers on the other. Both have Sargent seats (I'm anti-Corbin with my build). I haven't made any other ergo mods and it is fine so long as I'm moving around. If i'm droning, I find no bikes comfortable, so I'm not buying more farkles to try to solve that.

A few shots of each attached. 

You can also find more bits in my thread: 

20170121_133250.jpg

20170121_133314.jpg

20140413_131805.jpg

20220320_165037.jpg

20220625_192600.jpg

20220625_192927.jpg

20220625_195716.jpg

• Member Contributer

I think,  you will be perfectly fine on a VFR. If not, you you can still modify  bars an pegs. I am 6' 1" , normal build (!?) and I like the stock setup on my 4th gen. See picture. The fifth gen may be less sporty in the ergos but do not know for sure.

BTW, when you listen to the engine sound, you will most likely forget about the bar and peg position.

image000000.JPG

Thank you for the replies.

Something about the VFR, cannot put my finger on it.

It is between the 5th gen VFR or a second gen CBF1000 (Boo?) :biggrin: 

I just do not want a super sports with me bent over like the hunchback.

The Hurricane Police Handlebar Kit HBK607AS-01 is for the 1998 - 2001 VFR800s and will turn the seating position into a perfectly upright posture.  I have installed a few of these kits now and is my favorite aftermarket upgrade for the VFR.  The install is a little time consuming, but otherwise not technically that hard.  The required windshield trim is probably the trickiest part.  A brake fluid change is also required for the clutch and front caliper circuit as the hoses are being swapped.  1998 and 1999 owners will also need to purchase the longer Hurricane choke cable sold separately.  I did a video back in 2021 going over the details for a 2000 installation.

• Member Contributer

Here's a few topics. I added a bar to mine, closer to the Multistrada I normally ride. The footpegs are still available also.

• Member Contributer

It is the right choice. All kinds of other people have fit on them!

Question now is...

5th Gen

6th Gen

5th looks a little worn, good for a 2000 bike though and top box

6th gen is shiny and comes with full luggage, year 2005.

Both have 27k.

5th Gen - £2100

6th Gen - £2800

Ride both and see which you prefer. I'd pay attention to fuelling (aka throttle response) and check you're happy with it on the 6th gen. Some of them can be extremely choppy.

On riding position I'd say the VFR is a bit too forward for the type of bike it is. My other bike has a much more forward riding position, but my leathers stick me to the bike better and the high rearsets put my knees right under the tank so I'm locked in and there's no option but to use core muscles. On the VFR I wear textiles and it's a bit easy to end up slouching on a long ride. I'd recommend bar risers.

The VFR is very comfortable and quick, and handles great. Good fun for short blasts and very capable for long rides, so a good choice.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Gimpymoo said:

Question now is...

5th Gen

6th Gen

5th looks a little worn, good for a 2000 bike though and top box

6th gen is shiny and comes with full luggage, year 2005.

Both have 27k.

5th Gen - £2100

6th Gen - £2800

Easy answer, buy both. Under 5000 for two great bikes. And you get a free membership in the MBD club.

9 minutes ago, bmart said:

Blasphemy!

🙂

Do not have a garage and my trusty CBF125 I learned on got stolen so got enough sleepless nights with one bike to worry about.

Oxford Beast lock and chain will help me sleep with maybe one eye open.

Archived