1987 Canada Models

Hingley

• Member Contributer

I was going through my pile of Honda books and came across this Dealers guide book on the 1987 Canadian Models and thought you guys might enjoy it

As an added joy you will see the NS400R that we got in Canada but I do not believe you got in the States. Very few were ever sold here and the last one I saw 

was at the track being wound up by Jack Carfield 25 years ago, next week it will be twenty years since we lost Jack. God there was nothing better than the smell of 

Belray MC1 2 stoke oil in the air as Jack passed you going into corner#1 first thing in the morning, Ride on Jack.

IMG_4456.JPG

IMG_4457.JPG

IMG_4462.JPG

IMG_4463.JPG

• Member Contributer

Are you sure that's not an 86 guide book?

"Honda's long awaited second generation V-4" seems like a strange statement for what would be the second year of production in 87.

All the other styling cues scream 86 as well.

Very cool in any case, thanks for sharing!

• Member Contributer

Here is the front cover of the binder of the Dealers guide book, You maybe right I am not sure, perhaps someone out there can confirm

IMG_4455.JPG

• Member Contributer

All the text in the VFR section is touting everything as all new.  Weird.  Sure looks like the wrong binder cover to me.

Any other models in there?

• Member Contributer

Capt, You got me wondering, I wonder if it is simply that over the years some models were available in the States but not in Canada 

and some years it was the opposite. An example I can think of is the latest release of the Honda Monkey, I think you guys got it a couple of years ahead of us

I guess is due to the different size markets

Than again it could be the dealer put the 1986 models into a 1987 binder😄

From what I can se the  binder has all the models for Canada for 1987 maybe 1986

Capt, Is there one you know was 1986 for sure?

I will go through it to see if there is a date anywhere

• Member Contributer

Well Capt, you have taught  me not to bet against the Capt

I looked at another image an sure enough there is a date of 1986

See attached

IMG_4458.JPG

IMG_4459.JPG

IMG_4460.JPG

IMG_4461.JPG

• Member Contributer

Looks like the dealer at the time did use a new 3 ring binder from 1987 for the 1986 model information he had

Still cool pictures and information to look at, Honda sure had a lot of models compared to today

Now if someone knows how I change the topic header I will change it

• Member Contributer

I love the old tech / feature literature.  I have some stuff I saved from the Honda Shop too.

Thanks again for posting.

And I just learned something.  I didn't know the rear shock was technically changed for the 86 500.  Not that any stock shock is gonna survive on my bikes.  Well maybe my 86.  At this point I'll just build another 500 than keep trying to update my College time capsule.

But she does need new tires.  Soon.

BigBagZigZag.thumb.jpg.40330f31123c0c46f8ecd515249afab6.jpg

Here's one I saved.

86Hondaline.jpg.38e480a762bdd5e920042e93fb86dc6a.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thank you Hingley and Captain for the great photos and specs. I was sooo close to buying that new VF500F, but the red seat...I just couldn't do it. Leftover VF700 (tariff bike) instead. Almost $3000 USD out the door.

Do I regret it? Well, no, 16 great years with the 700, but I still drool over the 500. Wish I had both.

image.thumb.jpeg.2a579b21422f7e761dcf2fd69dd8238f.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Glad to see some of you are enjoying the Honda line up for 1986 in Canada

Last night I got sucked into the vortex of Bikes I wish I had and now that list includes the NS400R, at the time it made everyone talk

small package, 72 hp and 360 pounds what a machine to play on

Anyway I thought I would add to this topic the Tech Highlights for 86 that was in this Dealer binder so that you guys might find a little more information about your old Hondas from the 80's 

Hope you enjoy 

Have a good safe new year everyone

IMG_4470.JPG

IMG_4471.JPG

IMG_4473.JPG

IMG_4474.JPG

IMG_4475.JPG

IMG_4476.JPG

• Member Contributer

To finish off the Dealers Binder ( this one from 1987 ) I have and the different bikes we got in Canada compared to the States, all you VFR nuts that started out on

dirt bikes might like this one

Still a few of these around even here, they were known for the number of miles they could put on, I know of one that is well over 100,000KM ( 60,000 miles )

not an easy thing to do on a bike that spent time on the dirt roads and woods

1702458573_IMG_4471(1).JPG

IMG_4472.JPG

• Member Contributer

Only a little related, but does anyone remember Greybike Magazine? I have a bunch of scans like these. 

scan0001.thumb.jpg.35c05752f14873604512d4358d553cad.jpg

scan0002.thumb.jpg.20dffea254e6a6861d97aea8ae3b39fb.jpg

scan0003.thumb.jpg.6267e397a4279b07c77970a01a6acdb4.jpg

scan0004.thumb.jpg.16e607f4fdf7621236eef8dc7db331a0.jpg

scan0005.thumb.jpg.74427e5932d0d527913c3e6b573a9042.jpg

• Member Contributer

Honda came out with A 500 cc kit for the 400 to make it compete with the RZ500 , I installed about 25 of those kits on new bikes before they were even delivered . Really made them have a few more revs and power ,thinking back should have kept all those new parts from the motors . It was a different time then for sure . 

• Member Contributer

I installed about 25 of those kits on new bikes before they were even delivered . Really made them have a few more revs and power ,thinking back should have kept all those new parts from the motors . It was a different time then for sure 

I hear ya on that one, 30 plus years ago I bought a closed Honda dealer's parts stock, a year later I got hungry for some cash and I sold three CB750 original exhaust

NOS ( new original stock ) pipes to a world known restorer in the States, I was young and didn't clue in at the time but the pipes were very early pre production pipes for the CB750,

I don't even want to think about what they would be worth today. It was a hell of a life lesson for me, I don't think I have sold another piece of NOS since.

• Member Contributer
On 12/30/2022 at 9:11 PM, bmart said:

Only a little related, but does anyone remember Greybike Magazine? I have a bunch of scans like these. 

I didn't know GreyBike ever made it over to the 'States, but I used to have a complete collection.  No idea what happened to it since.  (Wife...)

Anyway, GreyBike is partially why I have so many 400cc grey imports in my "stable".  My first was a '92 VFR400RN, aka NC30, which was also the first bike I purchased after moving to the UK in the late 1990s.

Back to the topic, from what I've seen, during the 1990s Canada usually got the models and colours available in the "ROW", rather than what was available in the US market.  

Ciao,

JZH

Archived