Fairing panels production code

Hingley

• Member Contributer

Well guys, I figure if anyone can answer this one it will be someone here

I was looking at the fairing panels on my 1999 VFR800 and noticed what looks like a code system for when the panel/panels were made, I think

If it is indeed a production code I am not quite 100% sure on how to read them

Attached are two different panel codes, can you guys decode them?

If I am reading them right I have a suspicion that one panel maybe a replacement due to a tip over ( if not both )

Sorry for the bad picture quality

IMG_4394.JPG

IMG_4395.JPG

• Member Contributer

I've seen months and years "marked" on other bikes (and this one) in years before the model year was sold.

It almost seems like it gets a month/year "punch" for every run it's used.   Maybe it's a way to track usage for wear on the molds?

• Member Contributer

It almost seems like it gets a month/year "punch" for every run it's used

The above statement by Capt 80's does sound like the marks on panels could be part of a production tracking system.

I would not be surprised if the 99 was damaged at some point in it's life, but I have a 90 VFR750 that has very low milage so I will be looking at those panels, 1990 was the first production year for the new VFR750 so the fairing panels production stamping should be before the release of the bike in 1990, if they are truly original to the bike

This could get interesting

• Member Contributer

That's also the way I would interpret the panel markings.  After all, why would a panel supposedly installed on the production line in Hamamatsu in 1998-9 have punch marks corresponding to November 2000?

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

so I will be looking at those panels, 1990 was the first production year for the new VFR750 so the fairing panels production stamping should be before the release of the bike in 1990, if they are truly original to the bike

Well guys I had a look at the main fairing panels on the 1990 today and from the looks of it the stamping on fairing panels looks to reflect the production run of the 

panels, the 1990 panels show production started in Oct of 89 for the release of the all new VFR750 in 1990

the stamping also reflects when the production run was put on hold as there can be months of the year when there is no markings, this makes since as well when you think the company 

making the panels would have to stop to ramp up production of another model

The other thing I think is correct is that the panels may show production dates long after the model color has been changed for another year, this is because the company forming these panels is perhaps the source for Honda in many counties and as we all know different countries have different colors of panels all the time.

In my case with the yellow 1999 I am pretty confident in thinking my bike has had both side panels replaced at some point in 30,000 miles

This is based on me finding a bent bracket that surly meant a busted panel and the other side has a production date in 2000, which is after the year ( AND ONLY YEAR ) we got the yellow VFR in Canada

I do have a question for ya

Attached is a picture of the two yellow panels I have, as you can see the VFR graphics are different, Is this the same as the other yellow VFR's out there?, or do I have a panel sourced for outside Canada?

In the 1999 sales brochure for Canada I have the VFR graphics fading out from the V to the R 

IMG_4436.JPG

• Member Contributer

Thanks Cap

God, some days I think I am ready for the phone booth that was on an old Star Trek show, you walked in than vanished

Just for the hell of it here is the bent bracket that started me on this quest 

IMG_4376.JPG

• Member Contributer
On 12/22/2022 at 10:07 PM, Hingley said:

so I will be looking at those panels, 1990 was the first production year for the new VFR750 so the fairing panels production stamping should be before the release of the bike in 1990, if they are truly original to the bike

Well guys I had a look at the main fairing panels on the 1990 today and from the looks of it the stamping on fairing panels looks to reflect the production run of the 

panels, the 1990 panels show production started in Oct of 89 for the release of the all new VFR750 in 1990

the stamping also reflects when the production run was put on hold as there can be months of the year when there is no markings, this makes since as well when you think the company 

making the panels would have to stop to ramp up production of another model

The other thing I think is correct is that the panels may show production dates long after the model color has been changed for another year, this is because the company forming these panels is perhaps the source for Honda in many counties and as we all know different countries have different colors of panels all the time.

In my case with the yellow 1999 I am pretty confident in thinking my bike has had both side panels replaced at some point in 30,000 miles

This is based on me finding a bent bracket that surly meant a busted panel and the other side has a production date in 2000, which is after the year ( AND ONLY YEAR ) we got the yellow VFR in Canada

I do have a question for ya

Attached is a picture of the two yellow panels I have, as you can see the VFR graphics are different, Is this the same as the other yellow VFR's out there?, or do I have a panel sourced for outside Canada?

In the 1999 sales brochure for Canada I have the VFR graphics fading out from the V to the R 

IMG_4436.JPG

I have a UK-spec '01 and IIRC the VFR graphic went from front-rear fade in '00 to solid in '01; I preferred the fade, so I bought a set of "fade" decals for my '01.

US-spec decals don't say "PGM-FI & dual CBS"; I think they say "Interceptor"?

Ciao,

JZH

Archived