'97 VFR, carbs overflowing after rebuild

Hey guys, I'm trying to verify I have all my hose connections in the right place, but I'm not sure what this one is?  After looking at the manual I think its an atmosphere vent?  If not, what is it supposed to connect to?  After a bit of cranking my carbs are overflowing a bit and I'm not sure I have them all connected correctly.  Not sure if I'm going to have to take them back off to verify my floats are moving.

LA9agPGl.jpg

AYrVlTFl.jpg

right, that vents to oiutside air.  any fuel dripping from there means one or more leaking float needles.

overflowing means leaking, right ?  did you recently work on the carbs ? 

it's smart and ez to test carbs for leaks on the bench before installing, hooking up the carbs to a hose and funnel, etc. set the carbs on regular brown boxboard to see where leaks come from, allowing a few minutes for therm sitting.

remove the airbox to check for liquid fuel in  any carb throat ( leaky float needle), another possibility is leaky fuel tube O-rings or bowl gaskets. it's best to determine exactly where leak is from first, if possible.

sometime,s just letting the bike sit with fuel in the carbs for awhile will stop leaking. seals my shrink and dry during storage but expand to stop leaks when soaked i gas. 

• Member Contributer

Side note:  You want that vent hose pointing down so shit can't get in it.  Won't be responsible for any of your problems, but don't leave it like that.

Archived