The 8G is Perfection!

flya750

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, VFR78 said:

I road raced 350cc two strokes in the 70s. They were lucky to have half the power of my current Viffer, but still managed to bite you big time. I’m really happy with my 2014, just wish it had less kms on it.

M8 don't worry about your 90,000ks thats a lot of fun and pleasure its given you, well worth the possible loss of resale price in my way of thinking.

Provided you keep it well maintained and well cared for 200,000k is easily attainable with mostly routine maintenance, the V4 has longevity in its DNA. Modern assembly processes and Metallurgy in your 8gen, along with current oil and long life coolant technology all helps as well. Even the spark plugs are good for 100,000ks.

I think we are lucky here that we don't need to use salt on our roads in winter, keeps corrosion to a minimum.

Cheers :beer:

• Member Contributer

I’m not really worried Grum and know it’s got at least another 100,000kms in it. Just an old whinger.  I’ve serviced the front end lately and may redo the back half in the new year. It is a cracker of a bike. Riding down your way for the WSBK in February. Victoria is a great place to ride.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, VFR78 said:

I’m not really worried Grum and know it’s got at least another 100,000kms in it. Just an old whinger.  I’ve serviced the front end lately and may redo the back half in the new year. It is a cracker of a bike. Riding down your way for the WSBK in February. Victoria is a great place to ride.

A great ride heading south are Cooma, Adaminaby, Kiandra, Cabramurra, Corryong, the C543 a great road to Eskdale, Mitta Mitta head over Falls Creek to Mt Beauty or continue further on the C543 to Omeo then over Mt Hotham ultimately ending up in Bright. From Bright head to Myrtleford, Milawa then south down the King Valley to Whitfield and a great road into Mansfield from here find your way to Marysville, Healesville and whichever way you decide to Phillip Island.

But I guess this all depends on time constraints and weather. Just some suggestions for you. Hope the trip down south goes well.:fing02:

Sorry slightly off topic!:offtopic:

I think the 8th Gen is wonderful and the right balance. Complaints...VTEC .I'd rather have a non vtec engine because it's

hard to get good service when the time comes to adjust the valves ( I just ride and do basic service ). As much as I like this engine,

it's character and fabulous sound, I'd be happy to buy the next gen Honda Hawk if it ever materializes...

https://jalopnik.com/honda-debuts-modern-hawk-11-cafe-racer-with-africa-twin-1848682924

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, RC79NC001 said:

I'd be happy to buy the next gen Honda Hawk if it ever materializes

Not for me, unfortunately. The tail section looks like an afterthought and the exhaust?!?! I do not think, I can get used to the P-twin sound.

I still like the 90ties and 2000's bike shapes. The dream would be a new gear driven V 4 or I4 in 440 lbs max package and around 120 ponies on board.

Now, back on the subject.  I winterized the bikes one day before first snow. Since last night we have here in CT white roads but not white X-mas.

IMG_3815.jpg

IMG_3800.jpg

• Member Contributer
14 minutes ago, Wald said:

Not for me, unfortunately. The tail section looks like an afterthought

Yeah, that was such a miss.

Imagine this with the new Hornet / Transalp engine and more subdued colors...

mototrofa_1_720x540.jpg.eb082d3beb6890a278184cb40a25d01b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

My 8th gen is earning it's keep in my life since I bought it early last year.

The 97' VFR has always been my favorite incarnation and was initially my target bike purchase, but a later life second marriage dictated that my wife be able to ride with me on a heavier, smoother bike.  I could not do super sport bike pillions to her any longer  : / , but I also could not do touring or cruiser bikes to me !

The 8th gen grunts away from stop lights with authority and is nary impossible to stall like and in-line four.  I like getting near 50 MPG by riding conservatively and enjoying the powerful pull of the 800 occasionally when needed.

To me, the added bonus is that the young guys and gals riding super sports these days give a wave or thumbs up when on my VFR.  I feel this is my core riding crowd and it's nice to be noticed by riders like I used to be : )  The VFR helps me not feel older than is necessary in this stage of my life.  I still shift my seat position and my knee still hangs out in a turn on occasion aboard the VFR.  In short this bike does a lot for me so I treat it like my baby. : )

Archived