The 8G is Perfection!

flya750

• Member Contributer

Yeah my interest in something bigger is limited.  Riding more upright on an ST or whatever is weird and cruiserish.  Wish more people liked this kind of bike so there were more options.  Or at least the business case to have done more with the 8th gen.

It does often occur to me that the modern ~900-1100cc parallel twins from Honda are pretty close in power and torque curves and could be made into something like a VFR that doesn't suck while isn't as expensive for them to produce as a Euro compliant V-4.  Like if my VFR died and I wanted something new, they could be making something reasonably equivalent.  But instead we're getting...well, nothing like that 🤦‍♂️

8th gen is the last we will see for a long, long while...

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, ShipFixer said:

Yeah my interest in something bigger is limited.  Riding more upright on an ST or whatever is weird and cruiserish.  Wish more people liked this kind of bike so there were more options.  Or at least the business case to have done more with the 8th gen.

It does often occur to me that the modern ~900-1100cc parallel twins from Honda are pretty close in power and torque curves and could be made into something like a VFR that doesn't suck while isn't as expensive for them to produce as a Euro compliant V-4.  Like if my VFR died and I wanted something new, they could be making something reasonably equivalent.  But instead we're getting...well, nothing like that 🤦‍♂️

8th gen is the last we will see for a long, long while...

Yes, while I love the VFR1200... I'm not sure I'd be as happy with one as I am with the 8G? In fact, I know I wouldn't. If I couldn't ride an 8G, it would be either the Yamaha GT9 or the BMW 1000XR? The Honda NT1100 looks too much of a tourer for my taste.

• Member Contributer

Suzuki GSX-S1000GT maybe.  It is VFR-ish and even a bit lighter, on par with the 8th gen.  More power, but lots of little things I am not a fan of like the high mount bar instead of riser clip ons, cheap looking front end, etc.  Stock bar position looks a bit like a VFR with helibars too.  I had them, went back to stock...I like being able to put more weight on the front end without getting too CBR-ish.

Plus I've liked the looks of my bike ever since it came out.  There is nothing about the Suzuki or its close competitors at Kawasaki that really say anything to me.  I'd come to like it, but not like my VFR.

All this is why I'm much more likely to get something completely different like an Africa Twin than ever replace my VFR...

• Member Contributer

The final model of VFR (NOT yr 8G 😉) was the best of the 800's, but then it's a subjective thing. I need the more upright riding position as I'm north of 60 years (that sounds too old) but for you youngsters, I guess the 8G will do instead. :beer:

My VFR1200 is in a class of its own however. Simply awesome. 

YMMV. :beer:

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Skids said:

The final model of VFR (NOT yr 8G 😉) was the best of the 800's, but then it's a subjective thing. I need the more upright riding position as I'm north of 60 years (that sounds too old) but for you youngsters, I guess the 8G will do instead. :beer:

My VFR1200 is in a class of its own however. Simply awesome. 

YMMV. :beer:

I'm pushing 56....I'm hoping they still make a Honda Goldwing in 10 years. 😉 

• Member Contributer

To be clear... the 8G does NOT require any improvement. It IS the PERFECT Balance of sport/tour. With the VFRD headers, it IS fast enough. It's reliable.. Loving the VTEC, two bikes in one. I love when how quiet the bike is when its below VTEC. The ONLY improvement I can see is adding a compass to the dash 😉 

• Member Contributer

I’ve just finished a 9000km ride through Central Australia on mine and my neck is still a little sore after 4 weeks. I have 13mm risers on the bars, but this 70 year old body still complains. Unfortunately, there is nothing else that I like, that does 400km plus on a tank, has integrated luggage and sounds magnificent. My Viffer now has 87,000 kms on it, I hope it sees me out!

• Member Contributer
59 minutes ago, VFR78 said:

I’ve just finished a 9000km ride through Central Australia on mine and my neck is still a little sore after 4 weeks. I have 13mm risers on the bars, but this 70 year old body still complains. Unfortunately, there is nothing else that I like, that does 400km plus on a tank, has integrated luggage and sounds magnificent. My Viffer now has 87,000 kms on it, I hope it sees me out!

Fantastic VFR78. Could you list the towns you went through on your trip, any good pics you could post?

Got 91,000 faultless k's on mine, sadly she sits in the garage this riding season, a couple of health issues I need to address.

Slightly ahead of you in k's and slightly behind you in age!

Cheers:beer:

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Grum said:

Fantastic VFR78. Could you list the towns you went through on your trip, any good pics you could post?

Got 91,000 faultless k's on mine, sadly she sits in the garage this riding season, a couple of health issues I need to address.

Slightly ahead of you in k's and slightly behind you in age!

Cheers:beer:

Grum,

Sydney to Grong Grong - Mildura - Port Augusta - Coober Pedy - Erldunda - Yulara -The Alice - Tennant Creek - Barkly Homestead - Cloncurry - Karumba - Mount Surprise - Mission Beach - Townsville- Mackay - Tannum Sands - Maroochydore- Coffs Harbour - Sydney.

A couple of nights in Coober Pedy, Yulara and Karumba. To drink beer!

6D91AD9F-D3EC-4795-B275-9D3EA0565DA9.jpeg

A2550450-8411-44E5-A47C-71330E17BCF7.jpeg

1B13B091-D580-4230-8DF4-52750BC35347.jpeg

E5E79EB6-378C-4996-B12D-317705BB5B02.jpeg

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, VFR4Me said:

Spent some time at Alice Springs... plenty of areas to open it up and ride... just don't run out of gas

I’ve only been through there twice and that’s probably enough🤪

When I was bike shopping a few years ago I did consider buying an 8th gen.  But aside from the ergonomics that were getting tough for me on long days and tours on my 6th gen, I was just ready for something different.  At 50-ish years of age, the VFR ergos were just too hard on my neck and knees.  I could have added bar risers and lower footpegs for my old VFR, but after 14 years with it I wanted to try something else.

But I'll also say there are times I wish I'd kept my 6th gen.  I've looked on-and-off at buying another one, but if I were to buy another VFR I think I'd want to finally get a 5th gen.  🙂

The bigger bikes aren't comparable to the 8th gen vfr.

The vfr800 meets my needs.

I don't need 150-200 hp and 150 mile ranges.

I need 100 horsepower and 250+ miles range.

11.37 sec. @ 117.40 mph and 0-60 in 3 seconds is plenty fast enough.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, TimC said:

When I was bike shopping a few years ago I did consider buying an 8th gen.  But aside from the ergonomics that were getting tough for me on long days and tours on my 6th gen, I was just ready for something different.  At 50-ish years of age, the VFR ergos were just too hard on my neck and knees.  I could have added bar risers and lower footpegs for my old VFR, but after 14 years with it I wanted to try something else.

But I'll also say there are times I wish I'd kept my 6th gen.  I've looked on-and-off at buying another one, but if I were to buy another VFR I think I'd want to finally get a 5th gen.  🙂

Have you ever ridden an 8G? It is night and day different from the older Gens. I owned a 3G, bought it new.. rode it for 27 years. I bought the 8G because I got it new for $5999. I couldn't ride the 3G anymore, it was a nice bike, but it was like riding a dinosaur vs the 8G... but I did live that gear driven cam sound. 

1 hour ago, flya750 said:

Have you ever ridden an 8G? It is night and day different from the older Gens. I owned a 3G, bought it new.. rode it for 27 years. I bought the 8G because I got it new for $5999. I couldn't ride the 3G anymore, it was a nice bike, but it was like riding a dinosaur vs the 8G... but I did live that gear driven cam sound. 

Unfortunately no.  I never got an opportunity.  The shops around me never had an 8th gen. in stock, and even if they did most Big 4 dealers near me don't allow test rides.  😕 

I'm sure I would have loved an 8th gen, but like I said above, I was just ready for something different.

13 minutes ago, TimC said:

Unfortunately no.  I never got an opportunity.  The shops around me never had an 8th gen. in stock, and even if they did most Big 4 dealers near me don't allow test rides.  😕 

I'm sure I would have loved an 8th gen, but like I said above, I was just ready for something different.

You have an open offer on the table to ride my 8th gen any time you want.  We're only ten minutes away from each other.  Maybe a bit cold out today, but spring will be here before we know it.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Sparkie said:

The bigger bikes aren't comparable to the 8th gen vfr.

The vfr800 meets my needs.

I don't need 150-200 hp and 150 mile ranges.

I need 100 horsepower and 250+ miles range.

11.37 sec. @ 117.40 mph and 0-60 in 3 seconds is plenty fast enough.

I'd like to see you get 250+ mile range on an 8th Gen at the same speeds I get 150 mile range on my 1200. 😉

And 3 seconds 0-60? Really? I read your source but struggle with 3 seconds (faster than a Daytona 675), perhaps nearer to 4 but let's not haggle.

You are right about one thing - I don't need 150-200hp, I can't really use it, but I can and do use 129Nm of torque. :beer:

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, VFR78 said:

MBD is the only answer. If only the domestic CEO could be convinced!

Yr correct, I have a 5th, 7th and an 8th(X) and its still not enough. :goofy::beer:

I would have to agree flya750. the 8th gen is perfection but after powdercoating wheels white.

Now, everything is right in the world.

Ride safe.

20220424_081843.jpg

• Member Contributer
On 12/22/2022 at 1:48 PM, VFR80025th said:

I would have to agree flya750. the 8th gen is perfection but after powdercoating wheels white.

Now, everything is right in the world.

Ride safe.

20220424_081843.jpg

You need a Carbon SC Project Slip on, looks AWESOME! It really is a perfect motorcycle. I get so disgusted with people saying it needs more power? Get the VFRD Header and it's perfect balance of power and midsized sport tourer.

• Member Contributer

I road raced 350cc two strokes in the 70s. They were lucky to have half the power of my current Viffer, but still managed to bite you big time. I’m really happy with my 2014, just wish it had less kms on it.

Archived