Mystery why Code Reader Wire cut

Hingley

Ok all you electrical wizards out there, I got a mystery here that I can not figure out

I was roaming around the 99 VFR800 this morning to see what the repair list will be and I came across the Service Check Connector brown wire  being cut and sealed off with an end butt and tape.

To add to the mystery I found that a brown wire running to the plate light has an inline connector attached with what looks like a cut brown wire coming out of it.

Do any of you guys have any idea as to why someone would do this?, surely they were not thinking this was a good place to get power for something

I will add I have not seen the error light flash when I have started the bike and I will not reconnect the brown wire until I can make sure there was not a real reason for cutting this wire.

code reader wire cut-1.JPG

code reader wire cut-2.JPG

• Member Contributer

Hi Hingley.

Suspect the Brown wire from the ECU was cut and connected at one stage to a simple single pole On/Off switch making the reading of stored codes and clearing of memory codes an easy process. There is No power that could be used from this wire, as it is a Ground seeking wire to force the ECU into diagnostic code display mode.

The other wiring connection is to a Brown/Blue wire powering the Number Plate Light. This may have been tapped into to drive some form of added relay so that it operates with Ignition to On. Looks like the wiring continues down to the Number Plate Light - assume its operating normally?

Does your FI light do its normal cycle at switch On?

Thanks for the feed back, I could see that being a possibility, but for some reason I would be surprised.

If this was the case that would tell me this bike had some major issues at some point for someone to splice in an on/off switch

It this point I believe the FI light is working correctly.

I will read up in the shop manual on how to clear and read the error codes and see if there are issues I did not know about

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Hingley said:

Thanks for the feed back, I could see that being a possibility, but for some reason I would be surprised.

If this was the case that would tell me this bike had some major issues at some point for someone to splice in an on/off switch

It this point I believe the FI light is working correctly.

I will read up in the shop manual on how to clear and read the error codes and see if there are issues I did not know about

Yep, who knows? They may have wrongly thought the ECU plug as being some form of accessory power source, Green being Ground and Brown being 12v Power?

Without having the wiring diagram they would Only be assuming.

Archived