Fairing Trim Clips

Hingley

I was starting to put together a list of bits and pieces I will need for the 1999 VFR800 restore and I found I will need quite a few of the plastic push pins that attach a lot of the fairing and plastic trim pieces

Of course when I went to see what they were worth here of crazy Canada I was quoted $5.50 each plus tax, part # 90683-GAZ-003, Honda calls it a clip, trim

Well that is not going to happen if I have anything to do with it, I am sure someone has had to source these plastic push pins before and would really like to know the source

• Member Contributer

Most large hardware stores have an equivalent. Ebay and similar are even cheaper. Size what you need and order those and some spares for later. 

• Member Contributer
  • Member Contributer

Trim clip 90683-GAZ-00 was used on '98 / '99 bikes, on '00 /'01 bikes they used 90683-MBW-003.

Not a big fan of GAZ clips, have not bought an aftermarket version.  I have used  MBW clones.  This looks like a good substitude. You get 30 for $8.99.

My favorite trim clip, they have a cleaner/tighter fit but that also makes them more of a challenge to install/remove.

Don't forget well nuts.

If you want to fall into the rabbit hole of clips and fasteners

Dam, you boys are good

I will be paying a ton of these plastic trim clips for sure

I looked at those Honda cowl nuts part # 90111-KW3-003 , and they were $5-$6 a piece as well, but I figured I would never find ones that

fit as good as the originals in the fairing holes, does your aftermarket ones fit good?

If so it is Christmas early

• Member Contributer

While I can't guarantee what I bought has the perfect clip for your particular need, they are good quality and fit securely where I have used them.  I figured for that price, it was just nice to have a huge selection and get some removal tools to boot.  Already has paid for itself easily.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Does anyone know if these are the right ones for the VFR fairings ('98-'01)? I used up my last two Honda ones tonight. Thanks!

Also discovered that my '98 uses screw in plugs on the caliper retaining pins, but my '00 uses rubber plugs. 

I need to order some things!

Are these plugs the ones used on the inner fairing panels, oem # 90683-GAZ-003 ?, if so on my 99 these plastic plugs are a push pin style

If they are these plugs I have a couple of oem's I took off the bike and will check the measurements with the ones you found on Amazon

• Member Contributer

Sizes are the same '98-'00, but early ones used that "T" head and later ones the Phillips head (cheaper and don't break). 

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/21/2022 at 10:12 PM, V4 Rosso said:

For those in Europe looking for trim clps: Würth is a good source. Bought a few boxes of different sizes years ago. At that time they were €8 for a box of 50.

https://eshop.wuerth.de/Product-categories/Plastic-expanding-rivet/140165020219.cyid/1401.cgid/en/US/EUR/

Thanks for the link. Do you know which type/size are required for the 01 vfr800?

Look on Amazon for part # 90683-MBW-003 or  90683-GAZ-003

The listing shows the size of the pin, the price was sure right compared to Honda pins so I ordered a bag, was not sure about coming from China but they arrived in a couple of weeks, come to think of it I must check the pin fitment on the fairing pieces, 

Archived