YSS Rear Shock Replacement

Maccers

Hi all, working my way round the bike. Installing Black Widow headers and YSS rear shock. Got all the bits in, headers came away really easily.

The YSS shock, the bottom connection to the triangle plates. The old original Showa shock has a sleeve and roller bearing. The new shock does not, just an alloy insert. I looked at other brands, Nitron for example, and they also dont seem to have any bearing/sleeve just an alloy insert.

The bolt fits perfectly. Is this correct ie no roller bearing or I need to remove what YSS put in there and fit original Honda bearing/sleeve/seal?

Also, meant to add, when I removed the rear shock, there was a very DIY looking piece of ally in there on the underside of the top fixing, like a big washer, about 3 or 4 mm thick. Familiar to anyone to adjust suspension or something, along the lines of quick fixes etc (like pushing the front forks up a bit to lower the front end etc?)

• Member Contributer

Run it.

And yes, someone added some rear ride height to try and liven it up a bit.   Pretty common mod.

• Member Contributer
32 minutes ago, Maccers said:

Cheers for that. So just use the new YSS shock as is, bolt through the bottom with no bearing etc?

That's what I have done 5 times now.  Didn't end up in a ditch.

• Member Contributer

I am in the market for a new shock as well-mine is ancient at this point and since I've had the front forks redone it's time to get the rear up to par.  How do you like the YSS shock?

• Member Contributer

I think they are a great value.  I have them on:

1984 VF1000F

1986 VF1000R

1988 NT650 Hawk

1995 VFR750F

1998 ST1100

Soon one for a 1989 CB-1.

Rebound damping adjustment, separate ride height adjustment, threaded pre-load collar.  The spring rates that come on them are good, if a touch on the stiffer side, which I like.  They have transformed all of the above bikes.  And they are good looking if you have a bike that you can see the shock. 

PXL_20220721_183106226.thumb.jpg.3a5f672d76ad7e39faaf8c502c7a8b21.jpg

20201210_132048.thumb.jpg.4f9a47caa03f95061248fbc3b563a0d2.jpg

If you buy from biketyresuk on eBay you can swap out the spring fo your choice for a up charge.  I don't think it's terrible.  They are also the eBay store for the UK YSS R&D center (FireFox Racing), so you are getting good support.  They have answered my emails quickly and politely when I have inquired about length or application questions.  Fully rebuildable too.

18 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

That's what I have done 5 times now.  Didn't end up in a ditch.

Thanks for that, will do. 

I got mine from WeMoto, I was getting some other bits there and they came up as a reseller on the YSS site. I must say it does feel and look great. Feel as in out the box, solid kit. Not yet on bike so cant say how it feels when riding. It must be better than the 23 year old one thats was on there! 

• Member Contributer

I have an YSS in my VF500F2 and VFR750F (4th Gen).

Both have height adjustability so no need for a washer.

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, interceptor69 said:

I live in the US.  Is there a distributor here?

Not that I know of (I'm in the US too).  My shipping from biketyresuk has been pretty damn fast.  And their prices with shipping are as good or better than most.  Even if it's a bit more I almost always go thru them because of the service.

I know of a couple issues with vendors out of Italy that advertise with quite low prices.  They take FOREVER to process your order only to then let you know they don't have stock.  So just a heads up.  Not saying they all do, but I personally know 2 people that had that issue.

Archived