Sad state of affairs for Motorcycling going forward

VFR80025th

Judging by what Im seeing at EICMA 2022.

Hang on to your VFRs.

We will probably never see another V4 800 cc or other CC machine with SS Swingarm from Honda again.
New machines like the CB750 Hornet:  is that a CB 500 LOL

New Suzuki GSXS8 - OK but a twin LOL

GSXS1000GT - nice try Suzuki pretty decent. Not a fan of the higher bars.

No twin can compare to what is arguably one of the best engines ever made - The honda V4

Refinement durability and quality.

Its a sad state of affairs for motorcycles going forward.

Say goodbye to the all day sportbike.

Ride safe.

20220424_092128.jpg

• Member Contributer

Sadly the writing has been on the wall for a number of years now.

Luckily for us all on here, we know how long they last if well looked after and we know their value, not necessarily in cash terms, but more emotive ones.  :beer:

• Member Contributer

Well there are still some excellent new V4's out there, but alas no Honda's anymore. As I have said many times Honda has been a car company for many years ☹️

The Africa Twin was only such a great success as it was IMO one of the best looking adventure bikes when it was launched. 

Thanks be to the smaller manufacturers that still do bikes 👍

Not sure I agree that it's a sad state. They're making different bikes than the VFR but still make great bikes.

I haven't missed my VFR at all since getting the Africa Twin. I can do touring on it, ride legally (or illegally) as fast as I deem safe, and go off the beaten path.

If I was looking for a new bike I'd be tempted by the Trans Alp - looks like it'll be a good all-rounder, decent power (similar to a VFR), and relatively capable as an adventurer tourer. 

The tech, power, and overall build quality of the new bikes is exceptional. There just doesn't seem to be a market for sport tourers as much as the heydays of the past.

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, VFR80025th said:

No twin can compare to what is arguably one of the best engines ever made

I'll play devils advocate and say they do have their place. 

Our V4's are rather complex machines. Not completely unserviceable, but certainly a harder bike to work on (My old i4 carbed Katana was easier!). If you disagree, take off those V4 throttle bodies and have fun putting them back on & plugging everything back in. 😭

P-twins are SO simple for maintenance. Super approachable to new wrencher/riders, less parts overall (fewer cylinders, duh), and parts availability/compatibility from using the same engine in many chassis (eg, R7 vs MT07 ; Rebel 500 vs CB500F)

... but do not forget there are dope AF P-twins!! The KTM 890 Duke "Super Scalpel"  being a glorious example of a thrilling P-twin. (I have a crawler on eBay awaiting for someone to sell their Brembo adjustable brake master cylinder next time one goes down...)

There's more points i can make about weight, COST (You can buy a solid new bike for $7k - what a time to be alive) fuel efficiency, etc... but just remember that the more people riding is better for all of us (and not learning to ride on 636's... to increase their odds of survival), so I say bring on the P-twins!!!

• Member Contributer

EICMA 2022 is still going on--are you there now?  It would be interesting to compare the current show with my experience there, [checks notes] 19 years ago... 😲

I would have guessed that electric-motor bikes would be the big thing at EICMA?

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

I think there is still huge demand for touring motorcycles, but the punters have decided that "ADV" means tourer. 

Of the many ADV bikes I've seen used as tourers hardly any EVER get used off road, not even on gravel. I've seen many on tours that are cleaner than our road bikes which had seen some gravel roads.

It seems after the CBR954 of 2002 the manufacturers gave up on lightweight & fell into the electronic trap that the whole world has. It they put all the funds they put into lightweight materials instead of electronics & programmers, the new Transalp would weigh 55kg less   &  be a truly excellent machine on & off road. But unfortunately it weighs the same as the VFR & Africa Twin, with less power. What makes a middleweight if its not lighter than the big bikes ? 🤷‍♀️☹️

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Mohawk said:

I think there is still huge demand for touring motorcycles, but the punters have decided that "ADV" means tourer. 

Mohawk, you're not wrong. ADV does mean tourer.

If I ride by and you say "there goes another poser" OK, I get it. But despite the silly beak it's a street bike that can pile on the miles in a more comfortable riding position--and with 75% more suspension travel--than my three VFR's. My ADV has Michelin Road 5's, I've got lots of luggage capacity, and with 140hp and four ride modes I can move along pretty quickly.

Four of the five manufacturers in motogp now run V4 engines. Including Honda. So there is some hope...

• Member Contributer

The ADV bikes are lighter, more comfortable, and better on chunky roads than traditional tourers. The KTM 1090/1190/1290 series, the multistradas, even the BMW and Africa Twin weigh less than an FJR1300, Connie, or even VFR1200 - all those are 600 plus pounds. Being taller, they are more comfy too, and with wider bars are even more agile in the tight stuff. /the only place traditional tourers are better is probably the highway, and really fast 100+ mph sweeping back roads.

I agree that most manufacturers could spend a bit more on weight reduction - ESPECIALLY HONDA - most of their bikes are the heaviest in the segment!

Seems like most manufacturers follow the same corporate formula as the rest of the world and build stuff for the lowest common denominator, for the best return on their investment. That's why 80% plus of all bikes seem like plain vanilla....

Archived