OEM catless headers

gropula

Can someone clarify my confusion, I don't know which model years have bigger primaries on the headers, which have o2 bungs, and which are catless. I was under impression that 98-99 have catless headers without o2 bungs and bigger primaries, but now I found that 99 has catless headers with o2 bungs, but do they have bigger primaries? 

• Member Contributer

5th Gen, 98-99 largest diameter headers, made in mild steel. No O2 sensors, no CAT.

00-01 slightly narrower headers, with 2x O2 bungs. Plus Cat also mild steel.

Motad SS headers are copies of 98-99 models with O2 bungs. Can be used on all models which may explain finding a 99 with O2 bungs ! 

• Member Contributer

But if you're in Croatia you may be looking at German- or Swiss-market RC46s, which were sold with (optional--the "HECS3" version) catalyst exhausts in '98 and '99.  

Honda explained the changes made to the Y2k model in the 2000 Press Information brochure:

"The pivotal key to the difference in the performance of the VFR’s ‘standard’ and HECS3 configurations could be found in the design of the exhaust system, particularly in the vicinity of the catalysers themselves. To work at optimal efficiency, the catalysers must reach a certain temperature threshold that permits their catalytic elements to function properly. This is especially important at start-ups, and can be a problem in very cold weather conditions, since the catalysers are positioned relatively far away from the engine and therefore take longer to reach their optimal operating temperature.

The exhaust system for the current HECS3 system overcomes this problem by using narrower tubing to help accelerate this pre-heating process. This may be a competent fix, but the smaller tubing has the additional effect of restricting maximum power output somewhat, so the HECS3 version of the VFR ended up being approximately 8PS down in maximum power compared to the standard version. While not a major drop in power, and certainly better than any catalyser system developed until now, this was not what the VFR’s design team was hoping to achieve. The solution to this problem came in the form of a new development made for the CBR1100XX Super Blackbird’s fuel injection system."

(That new development was the "new automatic bypass starter" system.)

So you can find OEM early RC46 exhausts with CATs and O2 bungs--if you're looking at one of those early "low-emissions" models.

Ciao,

JZH

Honda VFR800FiY Press Information.pdf

• Thanks 1

These were listed on ebay as 1999 VFR800Fi. They have o2 sensors and are stainless, catless. Then they can only be Motad right? I bought them, so we will find out soon enough. VFRD headers are too expensive for me and VAT and shipping from USA would probably double the price. These were 150€+10€ shipping, EU based so no VAT.

93E9359F-65D4-484C-8700-F997D923877E.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Oh, well aftermarket headers could be any size, not always exactly what the OEM was at the time.  Predator also made "OEM replacement headers" for the 5th gen.  I think that's what I have on my UK-based 5th gen.  Delkevic, too, IIRC.  And then there was Black Widow (Sandy Bike Spares)...

But if that's an actual pic, they'll be fine.

Ciao,

JZH

• 10 months later...

Reviving my old thread. Happy with the headers, they bumped up the power according to the precision butt dyno. Better sound as well. Anyone care to help me identify who manufactured them? 

They have no stamp from manufacturer. They are stainless steel, 98-99 spec primary diameter, OEM 98-99 gaskets fit, they have o2 bungs. They don't look like motad, lextek, delkevic or black widow. Bought off eBay from Germany, listed as headers from '99 Fi, but they're not OEM obviously. Who else manufactured headers?

IMG_0645.jpeg

IMG_0643.jpeg

IMG_0639.jpeg

IMG_0642.jpeg

IMG_9960.jpeg

IMG_0138.jpeg

Through discussion on Facebook I got a hint and found the answer in these forums and it was in everyone's favorite topic - unleashing the factory power! 

They look to be older style black widow headers. Newer style that comes up on Google merges the rears and fronts first. This older style merges the sides. Dead giveaway is the rear primary pipe made out of three sections.

Every bit of info can be found on these forums!

IMG_1505.jpeg

IMG_1504.jpeg

IMG_1503.jpeg

• Like 1