New Member-Texas-2006 VFR800A

Siege

Hello, new member here from San Antonio Texas. Just picked up a 2006 VFR800A.

It’s a bit of a project as it’s sat for 7 years after someone tried to steal it and cut wires on it. I spent time tracing wires and have power at ign on. I already had the tank, pump, and float gauge out so that I could treat the tank for rust and maybe coat it. Need to disassemble the fuel pump and clean it before testing and reassembling.

l’ll be searching the forum for info before posting questions. I’m new to motorcycles and trying to find parts online has been confusing. Thanks in advance for any info and insight to come.

• Member Contributer

Don’t coat the tank. Just use Evaporust to clean out the rust. Many suggest vinegar or other acidic liquids for the rust, but, that stuff strips the OEM coating off the metal, making the inside even more susceptible to rust. In my mind, that ruins the tank. Evaporust leaves the factory galvanizing intact. 

They’re a bit hit or miss, but, Quantum Fuel have aftermarket pumps and filters at reasonable prices. The shop I worked at used them all the time. However, others have reported problems with quality. YMMV. 

Congrats on your 6th gen. and welcome to the forum from Ohio!  🙂

I'm guessing (or hoping) you got a good deal on that VFR.  Good luck getting it all sorted and back on the road where it belongs!

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond :beer:

But

:worthlesswithoutpics:

even if it is a collection of parts at the moment

• Member Contributer
On 10/22/2022 at 1:16 PM, ducnut said:

Just use Evaporust to clean out the rust.

I've been reading about them since your post. Can you add some info? Even their site says to wash with water after then immediatly fill with fuel to avoid rusting. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, bmart said:

I've been reading about them since your post. Can you add some info? Even their site says to wash with water after then immediatly fill with fuel to avoid rusting. 

I've been using the stuff for a few years now and it works really good.  Couple nice things is it won't harm paint in the short/medium term, so a spill is not disastrous.  It only attacks rust, not metal, unlike acids.  So while anything that has rusted can be prone to rust again if left bare (and wet), the good metal is still good.   Can be used multiple times before it's effectiveness wanes.  Also biodegradable, no nasty chemicals to try and get rid of.

Don't leave aluminum in it tho, like your gas cap with the tank upside down.  Alum no likey.

On 10/30/2022 at 8:32 AM, CornPoweredV4 said:

Hey, I'm in San Antonio too! Maybe we can go for a ride together sometime.

Grab some breakfast from O.S.T. in Bandera or something.

Nice! I'd be all for that once I can trust this bike. Every time I take it out for a neighborhood loop, something else shows itself.

On 11/3/2022 at 1:33 PM, Siege said:

Nice! I'd be all for that once I can trust this bike. Every time I take it out for a neighborhood loop, something else shows itself.

Yeah VFRs, especially the VTEC models, definitely have their own little niggles it seems. Luckily the '06+ year bikes are when Honda finally started correcting some issues with the bike.

I'm sure once you put some new tires on, some fresh fluids in, service the chain, etc, it will ride real nice!

It's also pretty heavy if you're used to riding lighter weight bikes around. Once you get moving it's no problem, but she's kind of fat and heavy at a stand still, and much harder to catch if she starts tipping over. So be careful with that, lol 🤣

Archived