Bay Area Roll Call 2022

jeffyjeff

• Member Contributer

Getting a little late in the year for a roll call ride, but better late than never, eh?  Maybe we can get together for a group ride before daylight savings time runs out.   After last year's soaker (not to mention getting beaned by a turkey vulture) I want to propose a repeat of our route from 2019 through the east bay hills down to Mt. Hamilton.  I rode Mines Road in September, and it was in pretty good shape.  

https://goo.gl/maps/Tco3D7yrAjqUntau6

Let's meet at Starbucks,  11000 Crow Canyon Road, Danville on Saturday, November 5. November 12.   Kickstands up at 8:00AM.

Anybody up for it?  Let's see who answers the "roll call".

• Member Contributer

I love that ride! Took it in September as well on my Tiger.  My dance card is booked that weekend but you all will have a blast! Please post another as weather holds out bc I would really like to meet more VFR owners. I am up for coffee and kicking tires and ideas around as well.  I am in East Bay - Martinez  Renee R🙂

• Member Contributer

For the record, there is some banter going on via text message, So far we have a few takers.  3 weeks until Nov 12.

IN   jeffyjeff

Brian F.

RRluv2RIDE   

RC1237V

tjclyde

St.Stephen  

OUT  Crazybro 

TENTATIVE  Tirso

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, RC1237V said:

Yes, I'm in!

As long as it doesn't rain...

NICE ROUTE!

After last year, I think we've all been a little sensitized to just how completely a good downpour can screw up a good ride.  Weeks later, I'd pull some document out of my wallet and it would still be damp.  I seem to recall that in 2019 you had a track day conflict the day we rode that route.  It's a pretty good route, except about 8 miles of Morgan Territory Road are kind of crappy.  It will be better if the Junction is open...I'll have to check that out.

• Member Contributer

Can't wait to see the interesting assortment of bikes that will show up, maybe even a VFR or two.

In!

2019:

image.thumb.jpeg.924281b6c358d18bca543970f89d2156.jpeg

• Member Contributer

If I get the forks and tires done, I will bring the 12 Hundo, otherwise I will be rockin' the Tenere....

• Member Contributer

I'll be starting a new group text for the ride, since I cannot seem to figure out how to add a new rider to the address list on an existing group chat.  Chalk it up to iPhone incompetence. 

I'm excited at the enthusiastic response for the ride.  Got two new riders to join us in addition to five of the regulars:

IN   jeffyjeff

Brian F.

RRluv2RIDE   

RC1237V

tjclyde

St.Stephen  

Tirso

OUT  Crazybro 

tc339

• Member Contributer

I need to do my forks esp if going on Morgan Territory! Otherwise I'll be on a Tiger. Anyone ready to do a little shaking? That 5.1 epicenter was close! How does one ride during a quake? 

• Member Contributer
On 10/25/2022 at 2:24 PM, RRluv2RIDE said:

I need to do my forks esp if going on Morgan Territory! Otherwise I'll be on a Tiger. Anyone ready to do a little shaking? That 5.1 epicenter was close! How does one ride during a quake? 

It's not like we are racing down Morgan Territory Rd.  Quite the opposite on the sections where the tarmac is de-laminating.  There is 6 or 8 mile stretch of that road that I really do not care for, but the front and back ends can be exhilarating at speed.  I've seen deer on that road occasionally; I hope they mind their manners.  

Having never been on two wheels during an earthquake, I cannot comment out of experience.  I imagine it best to muster all the dirt bike riding skills you can, stand on the pegs and try your level best to keep the bike upright.  That's my plan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

bump

Looks like the rain has headed east here in the bay area, cleaning up the tarmac for us. Sunny and 60 on Saturday. 😎

Google says 92 minutes to the SBUX for me Saturday morning--very glad we didn't have this ride the last weekend of DST! I'll have some sunrise to peek through the fog, fortunately.

Looking forward to laying down some miles with the usual suspects. Thanks Jeff, still got the leather chaps?

• Member Contributer

Yeah, still got the leather chaps.  A little salad oil on the leather after our last ride and they are as good as new!

Weather report says sunny on Saturday morning, clouding up after noon.  I'm ready to ride.  Went on a reconnaissance ride two weeks ago and Mines Road was pristine.  We will probably see some gravel on the road in the usual places after the recent rains (mile 10 and mile 13 come to mind.)  The Junction should be open for business, so that's a good place to plan for lunch.

Group text coming to confirm the ride.  Looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new riders.  

ride safe,   Jeff J.

• Member Contributer

Since I haven't ridden since Sept 12th on my last Sierra ride, I took the Tenere out for a shakedown run to make sure all is good. Some guy on a CB1000R smoked me down Almaden Expressway, but when it turned into a twisty Hicks road, I passed him with ease. He was leaning waaay off the bike, crossed up in the slightest of corners. Reminded me of my old self...:goofy:

Anyway, tore it up to Mt. Uhiminum and caught him again on the way down Hicks, since Hicks is a loop, and Uhminum is out & back. The new gearing on the T7 is not as zippy, but once you get going, it pays in dividends, as long as you don't flub a shift and bog it. The range and lower RPM on the highway are well worth the loss of grunt down low. The tires slide nicely on gravel, wet pavement, and other debris but I hope I won't be testing the crash bars again. :wheel:

I will ride to work in the morning to gauge what gear I will need for Saturday, plus tear it up one more time on the way home!

Can't wait to see you guys again Saturday!

• Member Contributer

Took the Hicks/Uhminum loop home from work again, found a spot where you can see Santa Cruz on one side, and Hollister Hills on the other. It was a chilly 48 degrees up on Mt Uhminum.

20221111_162128.jpg

20221111_162136.jpg

• Member Contributer

Got home just in time to lube my chain, adjust the shifter, and clean the bugs off the front of the bike. Packed up and ready for tomorrow!

20221111_165800.jpg

• Member Contributer

Nice!  I think the Advs are well suited to the Mines / Mt. Ham loop.   Wardrobe malfunction kept me from going further on what looked to be a very fun ride. It was COLD on freeway back.  Jacket can be repaired while muscle pulls heal.  Catch you all next time.  Big thanks to JeffyJeff for organizing.

• Member Contributer

Yes, it was nice to meet you and Tirso, adding a few new faces to our old crew!

Brian and I took a 62 mile back way loop to Skyline, adding another 1,000 turns to our day, where I turned around and he headed to Alice's.

Good to see everyone on a great ride with lots of twisty time - thanks to JeffyJeff  for organizing!

• Member Contributer

Yup, fun ride with the former norcal hooligans, as well as RR and Tirso. The RWB 07 and the yellow and red 5th gen brought more color to the ride!

I crashed (not literally) in San Carlos last night, headed back north through the city this morning on a perfect day. Thanks again Jeff, you always draw a crowd!

IMG_7518.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Had a great time on Saturday.  It was a glorious day for me, thanks for sharing the ride.  

Let's plan to do this again in 2023, hopefully more than once. 

Great to see Brian F., St. Stephen, and RC1237V again, and good to meet Tirso and RRluv2RIDE! Sorry you could not make it, tjclyde, we missed you this time.

Here is a bit of video I took, check it out to see what your taillights look like...that's about all I saw of you guys on the road, especially Jim and Brian F.

NOTE: Click on the gear in the lower right corner and adjust Quality to 1080P to optimize resolution.

IMG_0486C.thumb.JPG.01f86d75c3b7f57fa0b27b7d8dd8e195.JPG

Archived