Gen 5 Stator Options

VicSev93

Hello my fellow gen 5 enthusiasts! 

I have a stator question. I already had to once change my OEM stator for a Rick's one. It did fine for about 5k miles, then I did "The Drill" (voltage at 5k rpm was 13.6 when bike would heat up above 200 degrees) Everything was good, but I did notice that during the AC voltage test, the numbers would be pretty weak compared to the rpms. For example, a healthy stator would show about 20 volts at idle, and 60 at 5k. Mine showed a bit above 10v at idle, and 45v at 5k. It took me to get to 6500rpm to show over 50v. Anyway, am I just stuck ordering Rick's stator and having to do this over and over? I know I can also get it rewound, but are there any other options? I know that a 99/00 stator fits a 98 (my year 5th gen) but they seem to all be out of stock. Do 6th gen stators fit? or they just bigger in size? should I get a second hand OEM stator? 

I need something for when this thing starts to fail... Thank you all!

• Member Contributer

Southern Rewinding have a great reputation and is probably the way to go. I can’t say there’s any aftermarket stator I’d trust, at this point. Everything is offshore garbage, made for a brand or rebranded to be a brand. It’s not good. 

https://www.southernrewinding.com

Hopefully, you have a quality, modern R/R? If not, you’ll want to get a Roadstercycle SH847 Kit, to back your new stator. 

https://roadstercycle.com

Lastly, you’ll want to add a voltmeter to your bike, so you can constantly monitor what’s going on with your charging system. 

• Member Contributer

Someone could probably authoritatively answer this, but I think an 03+ 6th gen stator and flywheel would go on a 5th gen?  Mentioning because I just bought a new Honda 03+ stator and a used eBay flywheel for my 2002.  It's the $300 route but I too would like to do this only once...

• Member Contributer
21 minutes ago, ShipFixer said:

Someone could probably authoritatively answer this, but I think an 03+ 6th gen stator and flywheel would go on a 5th gen?  Mentioning because I just bought a new Honda 03+ stator and a used eBay flywheel for my 2002.  It's the $300 route but I too would like to do this only once...

You’re correct. They do. 

For others, you DO NOT want an ‘02 setup, as they’re the smallest of all the years and are 1yr-only. 

• Member Contributer

It's been over a year since I worked with them, but I had a stator rewound at Custom Rewind out of Birmingham Alabama.

I don't know if they are still in business, but Gary the owner has MS and can't talk that well and his daughter does the communication.

Works by phone call only.

BTW the stator works out fine, and I got extra long leads to add the Furakawa connector direct......no intermediate connector or solder.

Hey @ducnut, didn't you recently live around Chicago ?

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, mello dude said:

Hey @ducnut, didn't you recently live around Chicago ?

I’ve lived outside Springfield most all my life. I left for FL, late 2020. I just moved back to Springfield, in the last week. 

On 10/21/2022 at 3:24 PM, ducnut said:

You’re correct. They do. 

For others, you DO NOT want an ‘02 setup, as they’re the smallest of all the years and are 1yr-only. 

So youre saying, all I need is an 03 flywheel and stator, and Ill be good to go? if so...I think Ill be going that route. My question is...how hard is the fly wheel change? never done that before..

On 10/21/2022 at 12:03 PM, ducnut said:

Southern Rewinding have a great reputation and is probably the way to go. I can’t say there’s any aftermarket stator I’d trust, at this point. Everything is offshore garbage, made for a brand or rebranded to be a brand. It’s not good. 

https://www.southernrewinding.com

Hopefully, you have a quality, modern R/R? If not, you’ll want to get a Roadstercycle SH847 Kit, to back your new stator. 

https://roadstercycle.com

Lastly, you’ll want to add a voltmeter to your bike, so you can constantly monitor what’s going on with your charging system. 

Hey! you think if I buy a new ricks stator and send it over there, they will rewrite it? I say this, casue I rather send in a new one, and ride out the one I have now, without going in there too many times. and about the R/R, I am running a Roadstercycle FH020AA, and I also have the SH847 as back up. I like to be super prepared. 

• Member Contributer
27 minutes ago, VicSev93 said:

So youre saying, all I need is an 03 flywheel and stator, and Ill be good to go? if so...I think Ill be going that route. My question is...how hard is the fly wheel change? never done that before..

Yup!  Not too hard, there are some guides and videos.  There's a special tool you can buy from ProMotion on Amazon, and you need a strap wrench.  

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, VicSev93 said:

Hey! you think if I buy a new ricks stator and send it over there, they will rewrite it? I say this, casue I rather send in a new one, and ride out the one I have now, without going in there too many times. and about the R/R, I am running a Roadstercycle FH020AA, and I also have the SH847 as back up. I like to be super prepared. 

I wouldn’t go through all that. If anything, buy a new Rick’s and install it. Send the one you’re running to them. If you can find an OEM stator that’s smoked, grab it and send that one. They only need the stator frame. 

You need to run you R/R’s opposite; install the SH847 and keep the FH020 as a spare. The SH847 is a Series R/R and is the one that’ll help the longevity of your stator. 

10 hours ago, VicSev93 said:

Yep. ShipFixer has you squared away. 

• Member Contributer
On 10/25/2022 at 11:36 PM, VicSev93 said:

So what I ended up doing is ordering a used OEM gen 5 stator off of ebay, and will be sending it off to southernrewinding for an overhaul, should be a good time!

Let us know how it works out.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
On 10/21/2022 at 12:01 PM, ShipFixer said:

To confirm, you need an '03+ flywheel with the '03+ stator? So you can't install the later stator with a '98-'99 flywheel?

Archived