Full clutch Bleed on a dry system

spud786

I still have my 2006 vfr 800, but I ride my Ktm 500 mostly.  Unfortunately the Slave on the VFR began leaking, so had to rebuild the slave.  This bike was not fun to Bleed a dry system. It would not take a reverse bleed at all.  THats normally my route a reverse bleed with my ktm.

Forward bleed with a hose and mouth on the bleed nipple no good either.

Had to wrap the threads of bleed nipple, and use a Mity Vac, Then id let it pull fluid through the system several times, then Id lock the nipple, while under vacume, and them squeese the clutch open nipple and close.  

Finally got all the air out, but no way to do a dry system without the Mity vac from my view. and wrap the threads.

I post this, cause I found differnt things on the internet, and some are Half bled system , completely dry system is much tougher.

• Member Contributer

If you have an air compressor, buy a vacuum bleeder. I have the Capri Tools model, found on Amazon. Initially, it seems expensive. However, it makes bleeding fluids on anything, effortless. I’ve flushed the brake systems on numerous vehicles, by myself, using it. And, it’ll effortlessly pull fluid through a dry system.

• Member Contributer

I don't know why but the clutch circuit is just hard to bleed when dry.  I was successful once I switched to a speed bleeder nipple (comes with coated threads, so no need to wrap with tape).  Used a cheapo vacuum bleeder from Amazon that works better than the Mity Vac I had a long while ago.  I have to squeeze a few things to make sure it's airtight, but then it applies and holds suction very well.

I just replaced the Honda slave cylinder with an Oberon unit and moved the speed bleeder nipple over to it.  Worked like a champ, first time.  

• Member Contributer

I should add, when I was trying to bleed it from empty, it was with a new master cylinder kit (piston and seal) and new Honda slave cylinder.  Still sucked.  Speed bleeder made the difference.  Should not but did...

• Member Contributer

When I rebuilt mine & changed the hose, it bled fine like I always do. Open the bleed nipple put a clear hose to a container on it. Pour brake fluid into MC reservoir & wait till it appears in the hose on the nipple. Nip up the nipple, then the secret sauce is to pull the lever just enough that the piston seal moves but does NOT cover fluid return hole. Keep wiggling & trapped air will come out of the fluid return hole. Once air stops try a full pull or a few to get pressure in the line, then do more wiggling. When happy line is full and no more air appears, do a full pull, hold it & open the bleed nipple, close nipple, release lever. Repeat until pure fluid comes out of the nipple. Job jobbed 👍 Took longer to write this than it does to do it. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Mohawk said:

When I rebuilt mine & changed the hose, it bled fine like I always do. Open the bleed nipple put a clear hose to a container on it. Pour brake fluid into MC reservoir & wait till it appears in the hose on the nipple. Nip up the nipple, then the secret sauce is to pull the lever just enough that the piston seal moves but does NOT cover fluid return hole. Keep wiggling & trapped air will come out of the fluid return hole. Once air stops try a full pull or a few to get pressure in the line, then do more wiggling. When happy line is full and no more air appears, do a full pull, hold it & open the bleed nipple, close nipple, release lever. Repeat until pure fluid comes out of the nipple. Job jobbed 👍 Took longer to write this than it does to do it. 

Yep. A lot of people fully squeeze the lever, not realizing what goes on with the piston. Half-strokes and give the air time to escape the bore. 

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up , my first ride with new slave was fine, but then the master began leaking, it was fine before ,  so I ended up rebuilding that also.

I was able to just remove the master from the bars turn it straight up , and rebuild on the bike.  Following ride all back to normal.

• 2 months later...

So I think I figured out why my slave began leaking in the first place, and then after fixing the slave, the master plunger began leaking.

It was because my return port in the master got clogged and the system was building excess pressure.

I noticed how my lever was all the way out tight, even on the lowest setting, then one day I ran the bike into 9,000 rpm in a 5th gear on the clutch was slipping, I remove a little fluid from the slave and lever is fine again for 20 miles.

after doing this a couple times, I started paying attention to the master return port, which id already stuck a pick into the hole and a fine wire.  So I took a large Needle this time and tapped it in with some pliers, and Bam  that was it , that hole was plugged (all excess pressure released), but that must have been why the slave and then the master began leaking, excess pressure build up.

the new seals and  stuff never leaked, it just built enough pressure locking the lever full out and then the clutch would slip in a tall gears hard on the throttle.

Archived