Replacement cooling fan for 5th Gen

tireguy

Hey Group,

I have a 98 VFR800 with the A&A Performance SUpercharger that's been running a bit hot in slow traffic, and to some degree when moving along ( around 30mph) on the street.  Gave the cooling system a few good flushes with THERMACOOL cooloing system flush, it's much easier on the seals of older cooling systems.   Rinsed out good with water until clean after each treatment, didn't lower the temp problem much.  Checked the cooling fan, sure enough it was dead.  The cooling switch was working fine.  The VFR 19030-MBG-000 cooling fan is no longer available, unless you want to try your luck on a used 24 year old one on eBay.  After a little searching I found the cooling fan from 2005-06 from the VTX1800 P/N# 19030-MCH-003 is a perfect fit, the motor and housing are identical, the only difference is the two pin plug on the end.  The VTX fan has some other type of connector.  Popped the pins out, used my own two pin MOLEX connector and problem solved.  The new VTX fan motor set me back $141.  Just thought I'd share this with the group here in case anyone else's fan quits on them.

IMG_3353.JPG

IMG_3355.JPG

• Member Contributer

Good research!  I shall keep that in mind should either of my RC46 cooling fans bite the dust.  (Also good to know the overheating was not a supercharger-related problem!)

Both types of connectors are available from places like Eastern Beaver and CycleTerminal, FYI.

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

I added an auxiliary fan to the right side radiator, triggered with a relay so that when the key is on, the fan is on. It’s just a cheap and sacrificial, 100mm square by 25mm thick model that barely fits into the gap. It’s held in place by automotive electric fan zipties. It makes a huge difference in controlling temps, especially in traffic. My OEM fan never kicks on. Might be beneficial to your hot rod. 

10BE452B-2B9D-4D40-8627-C35FFC4FE746.jpeg

CB38D1FC-205F-4656-870E-4C38CD274A3C.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Just gonna gloss over the supercharger bit, huh? 😆

Great solutions! I particularly like the extra fan on the 'wrong' side of the bike... may add that one to my evergrowing To-Do list...

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Ughandi said:

Just gonna gloss over the supercharger bit, huh? 😆

Great solutions! I particularly like the extra fan on the 'wrong' side of the bike... may add that one to my evergrowing To-Do list...

When the hot coolant leaving the engine goes into the right radiator, first, it makes sense to get started on cooling it down, ASAP. 

You might add the outward blowing fan blade, while you’re messing about. It’s the way Honda engineers should’ve done it, to begin with. I mean, air flows into the front of the bike and outward through the radiators. Why they put an inward sucking fan blade on these bikes, I’ve no idea. 

2F6FF706-1DBD-41A8-BEEF-A8618D13F0E9.jpeg

3715E54D-8D9D-424B-BB8E-4CC75BB436F1.jpeg

I might be able to shed some light on that (why the fan runs "backwards).

One of my previous bikes was an '05 GL1800 (Bloody lovely bike).

Whilst going up a steep range one day in slow roadworks, I noticed the temp climbing rapidly.

Bike never had any cooling issues before.

So, doing some research I found that a lot of the "motorbike ghymkana" guys in the US complain about the same thing. Overheating at slow speed.

Apparently Honda designed the GL1800 (which has dual side radiators as well) to blow the hot air back out the front so that when stationary at traffic lights, the hot air is not blown back on the rider. This feature only cuts-out above xx Klm/hr.

Hence, when riding slow, the fans are pushing back against the incoming airflow. Now mostly that's not a problem if one just takes off from the lights and gets up to speed.

But, at slow speed it's problem.

What I did on the 'wing was to find the wire from the ECU controlling the fan relay, cut into it and fit a three-way switch. So it had Off-Auto-On.

Worked fine after that.

Ken on Goldwing and Trailer.jpg

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Wilerider said:

I might be able to shed some light on that (why the fan runs "backwards).

One of my previous bikes was an '05 GL1800 (Bloody lovely bike).

Whilst going up a steep range one day in slow roadworks, I noticed the temp climbing rapidly.

Bike never had any cooling issues before.

So, doing some research I found that a lot of the "motorbike ghymkana" guys in the US complain about the same thing. Overheating at slow speed.

Apparently Honda designed the GL1800 (which has dual side radiators as well) to blow the hot air back out the front so that when stationary at traffic lights, the hot air is not blown back on the rider. This feature only cuts-out above xx Klm/hr.

Hence, when riding slow, the fans are pushing back against the incoming airflow. Now mostly that's not a problem if one just takes off from the lights and gets up to speed.

But, at slow speed it's problem.

What I did on the 'wing was to find the wire from the ECU controlling the fan relay, cut into it and fit a three-way switch. So it had Off-Auto-On.

Worked fine after that.

Ken on Goldwing and Trailer.jpg

Yep. Every overheating Wing we had was the stop-and-go traffic normally found in resort-ish areas and at rallies. Brilliant bike, nonetheless. 

• Member Contributer

Remember if you put the blow through blade on you need to add a stone guard to stop stones getting caught between blade and rad, without it, a stone will eventually get in there & will trash the radiator when the fan spins. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Mohawk said:

Remember if you put the blow through blade on you need to add a stone guard to stop stones getting caught between blade and rad, without it, a stone will eventually get in there & will trash the radiator when the fan spins. 

Never seen it, working in a Honda dealer. In 4yrs, I haven’t experienced it with my bike. And, I ride a LOT of gravel roads, living in the midwest USA. 

• Member Contributer

Depends on the size of the stones, fine gravel will fall through. But about 1/4-3/8" it can stick & sweep the rad face trapped by the blade. Makes a mess. 

Archived