Sad news on IMS Motorcycle Shows.....Suspended : (

I just looked up info to get tickets to this years International Motorcycle Show in Long Beach......and it's not happening.

https://www.motorcycleshows.com/MotorCycleShows/home/IMS-Tour-Suspended.html

The one chance I have each year to be surrounded by everything motorcycle and with people that love bikes like I do.

They are refunding money for tickets already purchased.  

Maybe next year.....

I used to go every year. Even if it comes back in Long Beach next year, I'll be about 200 miles away by then.

Too far. Not likely to happen. I'll miss it.

• Member Contributer

Unfortunately, it’s a dying event. Manufacturers not supporting it leads to consumers not supporting it. 

Like you, I always looked forward to being immersed in a mecca of motorcycles. For me, it meant braving Chicago’s coldest winter weather, which is in the first 2 weeks of February. Walking to the convention center from the parking lots was brutal, in sub-zero temps, with winds howling. But, once inside? Aaaah! Everything motorcycle. 

• Member Contributer

What do you guys like about it? 

I've been a few times over the years and always wish I hadn't bothered. Too many people. Bikes i'll never own. We even had a guy shot here at one. 

• Member Contributer

We used to work the Honda booth in the 90s-00s.  It was fine and it was a chance to look at the other MFRs.  Now the parties in the evening and the dinners we would get taken out to...   awesome.   This was when there was at least some money still flowing and the accessory reps would spend quite a bit of it.   Had some killer times with Parts Unlimited and Sullivan Brothers.

My wife and I went to Mexico twice on Tucker Rocky's dime and rode snow machines in Yellowstone on Yamaha's.  My in-laws were the ones that enjoyed Honda's money, especially in the 80s. 

It was a yearly tradition for me and my ( 4 ) riding friends for three decades.  Over the last few years I've just gone by myself because my friends have either passed away or do not ride any more.  Just being able to sit on whatever bike you want without a sales person over you was worth the price of admission.  Meeting new people just to talk for a bit in a relaxed atmosphere.  Doing a little research I found that the "DamPanic" and "global parts sourcing' really has nothing to do with the IMSs' demise.  

• Member Contributer
35 minutes ago, SubyRS said:

Just being able to sit on whatever bike you want without a sales person over you was worth the price of admission. 

There's that! 

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, bmart said:

What do you guys like about it? 

I've been a few times over the years and always wish I hadn't bothered. Too many people. Bikes i'll never own. We even had a guy shot here at one. 

Was always nice to check out the new models.

image.thumb.jpeg.85e6d59ced2191efbf8fd659ee7351d1.jpeg

I have attended the Cleveland show every other year or so, whether I was in the market for a new bike or not.  Sometimes I was just looking for a couple specific accessories or pieces of riding gear.  Regardless, it was fun to walk around and check out most* of the current models I hadn't yet seen and some new models that were coming soon.

I have to agree with @ducnut -- the Cleveland show was usually in late January, sometimes making for a very cold walk into and out of the show, especially since I didn't want to wear or carry my winter coat the 2-4 hours I was inside.  The West Coast and southern shows usually had test rides available outside, which just wasn't possible in Cleveland in the dead of winter.  Still, it was fun to go and be immersed in motorcycle stuff for a few hours when I couldn't ride my own bike.

* I say "most" because invariably there were new and existing models missing from some manufacturers' booths.  I'd go to the show excited to see the latest Honda, Ducati, or whatever, and sometimes they weren't there at all.  It never made sense to me why when you have a huge booth (like the Big 4 always did) they didn't bring one of every model available, even the less popular ones.

Even though I was sometimes disappointed at the show, I'll be sad if this is really the end of the IMS shows.

They don't say whether the IMS will be back next year or not.  Just the excuses about parts sourcing and not knowing which direction they want to go.  Other research I found says "niche market" custom bike shows have taken a toll on the IMS turn outs.  I can't see that because there is nothing else like the IMS.  There are custom bikes all over IMS shows.  Demo rides ( if you can snag a spot weeks in advance ), stunt shows and celebrity MGP racer interviews.

• Member Contributer

Not a new bike buyer, I'd be more interested in the gear than the gadgets, but i'm not their target market no matter how you slice it. 

Archived