Theory on huggers and heat flow out the back.

• Member Contributer

I want to find out what you guys think or have evidence of as far as huggers and allowing the air to flow smoothly out the back of the bike rather than the back tire packing air into that part of the bike and impeding the flow of hot air out the back. Would like to hear from guys that have put huggers on and noticed any difference in the heat they experienced on their right leg if any. I know a hugger would be a good thing for crud and water thrown onto the shock and linkage and I like the look. Just wondering if there are other benefits no one really talks about.

Never noticed any difference in heat after adding a hugger to my 8th gen. Very happy that the rear shock remains pretty clean after a filthy ride though. 

• Member Contributer

Changed that to right leg, duh. Don't know what I was thinking. I know the benefit is good for the shock. My thought was if it was throwing rain and crud that direction then air has to be doing the same thing when you want the hot air flowing out the back. Sounds like there isn't much benefit that way if at all. Of course you guys aren't known for really hot temps are you?

• Member Contributer

I may do one just what for. I like the looks of them and might be of some benefit that way on the heat. Thurn has a carbon fiber one which should be lighter so it won't bother me as much for adding weight.

• Member Contributer

I have a hugger for my 5th gen, not fitted at the moment due to current rear tyre being a bit taller than the last & just rubbing on the hugger mount. So I've run it hard both with & without, not noticed any difference. 

I also have a dual skin alloy heat shield between the rear headers & the shock & a dual skin carbon/alloy heat shield in place of the stock Honda anchor plate. Keeps my right leg nice & heat free. 

YMMV

• Member Contributer

Re heat & airflow, the air in the region behind the engine is very chaotic & negative pressure area.

You need some cool air directed into the area to produce a positive pressure to displace the warm air being trapped there. 

Honda put NACA ducts on the 5th gens that pull air in from the flower fairing sides. On the right it passes to the upper area of the clutch cover towards the frame gap by cylinder #3. On the left behind the coolant overflow tank towards the shock.

I have considered adding a small high flow fan on the left side to force feed cool air behind the engine. Anyone good with CFD ? 

• Member Contributer

I used some reflective stick on insulation on both of the heat shields and parts of the frame. It made a difference, but could stand some more. What is really noticeable now is the heat I get through the seat area.

Is that dual skin stuff a brand name? Couldn't find anything on it.

Archived