Stuck gas tank fuel filler cap

RossR

• Member Contributer

This did not happen to my Viffer, but since it is apparently a common problem I am posting it here as it's a potential problem for others.

I have a 2002 CBRF4i that I have had in storage for about two years with all proper procedures followed. Full tank of gas with stabilizer.

I went to open the fuel cap and although the key worked fine and the cap popped up by a millimetre or two the cap would not open all the way up.

Master Mechanic Google had a solution as apparently this is a very common problem on Hondas (and other makes) and there were a gzillion posts on it.

Fortunately it did not happen to me when I was on the road and needed to refuel.

Below is a video that explains the problem and solution. Poor engineering with the metal part of the fuel cap jamming in the tank outlet. It has nothing to do with the cap lock mechanism.

The author of the video used a file. In my opinion an appropriate grit of sandpaper would do the job better. I actually used a fine precision screwdriver to gently pry the cap up per the advice of someone on advrider.com who said that he always carried one in his kit because of this problem.

I shall be sanding the cap down in due course.
Personally, I will remove the cap to sand it as it's not a big deal and I will not risk an explosion or filings going into the tank.

Archived