Question of the Century: Are there any prescription face shield overlays invented yet?

SubyRS

Eye glasses and helmets.  A true oxymoron?  Is there any way around this other than laser surgery?

There are freeways here in California so rail road track bumpy, that I can't even see straight when my eye glasses are bobbing up and down on my nose.

Has anyone invented the "Prescription face shield overlay" yet?  It would be like a tear-off, but thicker and would stay in place with a tough but removable adhesive.

There has got to be an optometrist out there somewhere, that rides and could do this...No?

Any thoughts?

• Member Contributer

I had LASIK done later, but why did I finally make the leap to contact lenses?  Motorcycles, that's why.  Glasses are a PITA.

If there's even a chance of you considering it, the explosion of peripheral vision accuracy that comes with "normal" vision from LASIK, plus some other things makes a lot of things two-wheeled better. Can't get that with contacts...

• Member Contributer

More details please. My vision isn't quite 20/20 anymore and I surely noticed a lack of peripheral vision accuracy in the last year or so. 

• Member Contributer

Due to physics of light and optics, corrections need to be done as close to cornea as possible. Go see Dr. Michael Paveloff in Santa Barbara. https://www.paveloffvisioncenter.com

• Member Contributer

I never got around to LASIC, but a couple of years ago I did get a new contacts prescription which lets me read close up (e.g., the speedo) using one eye, and see far away with the other eye.  Seems to work for me, but it was a little weird at first.

Ciao,

JZH

I have tried to switch to contacts 2 times over the last ten years but I am just not compatible with them.  I had to start wearing eye glasses full time about three years ago.  Before that it was just for reading and computers. 

My current helmet which I love, does not have eye glass "slots" in the padding.  The choice in new helmets that actually have accommodations for eye wear are few and then there are the new inner tinted drop down shields that would make it really fun to have three different plastic surfaces to look through.  Maybe it's time to look into Lasik, but it scares the heck out of me.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, JZH said:

I never got around to LASIC, but a couple of years ago I did get a new contacts prescription which lets me read close up (e.g., the speedo) using one eye, and see far away with the other eye.  Seems to work for me, but it was a little weird at first.

Ciao,

JZH

I did this with LASIC. The clinic suggested trying it with contacts first, but I knew I'd never be able to get them in, so I just took the plunge. Worked out great.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, SubyRS said:

I have tried to switch to contacts 2 times over the last ten years but I am just not compatible with them.  I had to start wearing eye glasses full time about three years ago.  Before that it was just for reading and computers. 

My current helmet which I love, does not have eye glass "slots" in the padding.  The choice in new helmets that actually have accommodations for eye wear are few and then there are the new inner tinted drop down shields that would make it really fun to have three different plastic surfaces to look through.  Maybe it's time to look into Lasik, but it scares the heck out of me.

Contacts took me many times of trying, and that last effort was 45 minutes.  The optometrist was about to call it quits when it finally worked out.  

LASIK is scary for ten seconds.  But it doesn't hurt, and waking up to see an alarm clock clearly is amazing.  I had mild near sightedness and astigmatism (-1.0 to -1.25 diopters) and would do it earlier if I had to choose again.

• Member Contributer
On 9/28/2022 at 10:12 AM, bmart said:

More details please. My vision isn't quite 20/20 anymore and I surely noticed a lack of peripheral vision accuracy in the last year or so. 

Its a weird thing I didn't know till I had "normal" or perfect vision.  People with nearsightedness or astigmatism squint to make their vision better, because it reduces the spherical error of the surface of the lens among other things.  But when I got LASIK, squinting distorted vision a bit...and opening my eyes wider now  makes it better and "explodes" my peripheral vision.  On downhill mountain bikes it was a crazy difference in capability, I can see the trail below me and way in front of me pretty easily, along with everything on either side.  I ride bikes like I'm being chased by space aliens, but I'm very sure I wouldnt be going this fast in really chunky stuff without LASIK.

Apparently this is normal, I described it to all my friends who had never worn glasses and they didn't know any differently.  

• Member Contributer

My whole family has work glasses for decades...except for me. Only last year/this year have I notived any degredation, initially with peripheral vision. It stinks. I used to see "everything." 

I don't know if it would help, or if you'd even consider it, but Oakley makes prescription sunglasses, including some of the "wrap" style frames used by athletes.  It might still be a pain fitting them inside a helmet without slots for glasses, but the benefit would be the rubber coated temples (the arms/side pieces) should help keep the glasses from bouncing around.  Also, the straight temples would push into your helmet and not have to wrap around your ears, making the glasses easier to put on and take off.  They aren't going to be cheap, but maybe it's a solution.

For trips and long days I prefer to wear contact lenses, which gives me the option of sunglasses.  But I've also been fine just wearing normal glasses most of the time.  One nice benefit of the contact lenses is no fogging up of eyeglasses in the rain, mist, and/or cold temps.

For those of you that had Lasik surgery done, what is the forecast as to how long it will last and can it be done again? 

Just the thought of something going wrong with the procedure is what scares me, not how it's done.  My sight is the last thing I would want to loose.

I am just so fed up with glasses, but it's better than nothing at this point.

I am looking at new helmets lately and I like the type that have a smoked dropdown visor inside so I can ride with one helmet and one pair of clear glasses.

But just with the wind and buffeting with any of my glasses they move around just enough to make seeing clearly and accurately a real challenge.  

I am going to ask about Lasik on my next Dr. visit.

• Member Contributer

My wife had to wear glasses full time and had it done in Canada probably 25 years ago now.  It was amazing and changed how she felt about skiing and riding.   One of those "Best money spent" type things.  She just now (at 50+) has started to need glasses for TV and reading, but still not for driving. 

• Member Contributer

The permanence depends on a few things like cornea thickness, which they will assess as part of your consult.  I had mine done in 2006 and I still see 20/16.  I do need reading glasses sometimes now, mostly to do detail work.  Only 1.00 diopters really.  I had very stable vision before LASIK - same prescription at 16 as 29 when I got it done - so there's that.

I have one of those helmets with the flip up  internal sun visor from Shoei.  Love it!

• Member Contributer

You can get these inserts for Ski and Snowboarding goggles, not sure how they would work being a bit further away from your eyes on a helmet visor though. Would have to be made larger I guess.

https://www.sportrx.com/shopby/best_sports-skiing_snowboarding/brand-dragon.html?is_eligible=1&product_list_dir=asc&product_list_order=most_popular_sort#

• Member Contributer

Most likely they're spaced away from goggles so that corrective lens ends up being close to eyeballs like regular glasses.

Those personal experiences with Lasik are encouraging.  At age 63 I am slowing down and my hope is that any Lasik would carry me through the rest of my motorcycling life, whatever that turns out to be.  I am a very self regulating person, so as soon as I can't scan traffic and road conditions ahead quick enough and with accuracy, I will have to admit to M/C retirement.  

Cool!  I hope it has the stereo option with "Born to be wild" playing. : )  Only sport bike fairing please with Freddie Spencer VFR livery.

For all you bikers not getting up in years....who's Freddie Spencer?

Archived