2023 VFRD Spring Memorial Ride 5/4-5/7 in Bryson City, NC

Hello to all! I hope this upcoming Spring ride will be one of the best yet. We are making a change in location this year at the agreement of the majority of attendees. The management of the Microtel in Franklin also run the Bryson City location and have encouraged us to continue to do business with them at their newer, nicer, and slightly larger faculty. We will be staying at Microtel Bryson City May 4, 2023- May 7, 2023. The rates for this year for the group will be $80 for weeknights and $120 for weekend nights. PLEASE contact them directly and let them know you are with the VFRD group. Their reservation manager is on duty weekdays from 7am-3pm local time and can be reached at 828-488-7900. 

Dad and I really appreciate all of you who have attended over the years and look forward to old friends and new faces in 2023. Any and all are welcome on any brand or model of motorcycle so feel free to invite a friend or family member. 

See y’all in May!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

I'm two hours into trying to book this properly through their 800 line. Is there a backup location to stay at? I'm reminded why I stopped staying at Wyndham properties...ugh

• 5 months later...

8 weeks to the day and if I begin a procrastination-prone ride prep should be ready to go out for a ride from the Microtel Bryson City Thursday morning.  As usual, cannot wait.

14 hours ago, VFRpwr said:

8 weeks to the day and if I begin a procrastination-prone ride prep should be ready to go out for a ride from the Microtel Bryson City Thursday morning.  As usual, cannot wait.

Changing my plan to arrive in time for Thursday morning wake up run. I've got about three more weeks of bathroom remodel to finish before I can worry with bike stuff.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If you're on the fence about this event, don't let the silence here influence your decision. There will be a good turn out of great people even if we are a little short on VFR's. If you need a VFR, check the classifieds. I can deliver to Bryson City ready to ride.

I am a long time lurker who has owned multiple VFR's. I am planning on attending this event. Any idea of when most plan to arrive, meeting times, etc would be appreciated. 

On 4/1/2023 at 10:52 AM, Sportourer said:

I am a long time lurker who has owned multiple VFR's. I am planning on attending this event. Any idea of when most plan to arrive, meeting times, etc would be appreciated. 

Great! Most arrive on Thursday. Some of us will be there Wednesday evening. If you are downstairs before 9:00 in the morning, you will find a ride. If you have question or would like help with finding a group, look me up. In fact, look me up when you get there, and I'll introduce you to everybody. 

Thanks for the reply. I have been doing this stuff with the ST and long distance communities for over 20 years now. I have owned VFR's for just as long and have never attended an event before. I am looking forward to it. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Hey guys      Planning to arrive later Friday from Allentown PA.  Doing most of the trip via Blue Ridge Parkway. Have not been on the Parkway since the 80s and have never been farther south than Roanoke.  This is a blast from the past for me.  I'll be on an 18 NC750X (Don't hold it against me). My VFR's are polished in the garage and don't come out in the rain.

See you     Dennis

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Denber said:

Hey guys      Planning to arrive later Friday from Allentown PA.  Doing most of the trip via Blue Ridge Parkway. Have not been on the Parkway since the 80s and have never been farther south than Roanoke.  This is a blast from the past for me.  I'll be on an 18 NC750X (Don't hold it against me). My VFR's are polished in the garage and don't come out in the rain.

See you     Dennis

Be aware that starting today, May 1 they are shutting down sections of the parkway for paving. Detours are supposed to be in place but just a heads up for you.IMG_2012.thumb.png.810c91749436650b76830a8962bff197.png

• Thanks 1

@Denber -- Don't worry about being on a non-VFR.  Last year I think about half the attendees were on VFRs, and the rest were on a nice variety of bikes.  (For example, I was on my BMW.)  Everyone is friendly and they're good people.  Have fun and ride safe!  👍

I can't make it this year, but I hope everyone has a great time!!

14 hours ago, Denber said:

See you     Dennis

Your collection is enough to get you into any VFR event.😉  There may even be another NC750x there one day. One of the crew loves to ride his for everybody to pick on him and then he schools us all on "its not the bike". 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Have fun, guys. I'm out for this one. 

• Member Contributer

We’ll be rolling in hopefully around 4-ish tomorrow. Leaving @ 9 am and taking the long way west. 

• 2 weeks later...

It was a great time as always. Never let the weatherman make the call to go or not go. We never had rain on a ride for ten days. I'll post pics and videos when I get time.

One tease...I won the green jersey.

• Like 1

The tradition of the green jersey goes back to 2013. On Saturday evening, everyone who had an off during the four days is encouraged to stand up and tell their story for the benefit of all. They then sign and date the jersey. Then the crowd votes on who wins the green jersey. It is returned every year. If you watch the video to the end, you will see me tell my story as the only one who had an incident involving two wheels.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...