Clicking Starting Relay

Paddster

Hi there, went to start my 2014 VFR the other day and it attempted to turn over briefly then next time did nothing, tried jumping it still nothing. Noticed the starter relay was clicking when I pressed ignition, got new starter relay from Honda, exactly the same problem. Any ideas helpfully received. Thanks Paddy

• Member Contributer

Hi Paddy.

- Have you tried starting the bike with the Sidestand Up and the Clutch pulled in?

- And, is your Neutral Light working correctly?

- Have you checked that the Battery Terminals are clean and tight?

- I know you've tried jumping the battery with no success but how old is the bikes battery? And is it well charged?

- If you have a voltmeter clip it to the battery terminals. What is the voltage and what does the voltage go to when pressing the Starter Switch?

Answers will give a greater insight to your issue.

• Member Contributer

Clicking relay is typically sign of insufficient battery power

Also when jumpstarting, make sure it's from know-good battery. Verify battery can start car it's in. But leave car off when jumping bike. Also wiggle jumper cable's clamps to get good bite. I've also encountred bad battery cables

Final ultimate test:

1. battery voltage with everything off. Volts = ??

2. battery voltage when pushing start-button. Volts = ???

• Member Contributer

If you think its a low battery, put lights on & if when relay clicks the dash lights dim out & sometimes the lcd too. Then you know its battery power. Put some jump leads on the battery from your car, if its starts OK its your battery. 

normal voltage in a battery (with key off) should be close to 12.6 volts, so use your volt/ohm multimeter to check. recharge with 1-amp charger for 6-8 hours.   if voltage does not rise to 12.6 the battery is bad, but check your charging system output too.

• Member Contributer
To determine the condition of an Maintenance Free battery give it a
refreshing charge... wait 30 minutes... measure terminal voltage...

12.8 or higher is a good battery...
12.0 to 12.8 is a insufficient charge... recharge...
12.0 or lower... battery unserviceable...

• Member Contributer

Hi All.

Sorry to post this info again. But seeing the OP is referring to his 2014 8gen exactly like mine, and he most likely appears to have battery issues. Thought I might once more add this valuable info.

Battery terminal voltage does not represent the true health of the battery, its capacity to deliver plenty of cranking amps when needed.

Here's the OEM battery from my 8gen. It would charge ok with no errors from my intelligent charger yet was reluctant to crank the Starter.

As you can see its voltage was 12.65v but failed miserably when load checked. The Battery rated at 210 cranking amps could only deliver 99amps. A new battery solved my cranking issues.

So the bottom line here is, any doubts about your battery, charge it, remove it, and take it along to any good Automotive Parts store where they will Load Check it for free.

For the Aussies - I had this test done at both Autobahn and Supercheap Auto.

Cheers :fing02:

20200626_104144.jpg

• Member Contributer

We do this with our car batteries a week or so before the 100% warranty runs out...and usually get another free battery. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Hate to say it, but this is somewhat typical.

VFR owner cries for help, we all in good faith chip in to help out.

All we want is an answer back on the fix so we can all learn from the experience, sadly you never here the outcome.

Kinda pisses me off!:mad:

• Member Contributer

Still cant resist following along on interesting threads, despite having been left hanging too many times over the years. Must be another of my character flaws ..

• Member Contributer
On 10/27/2022 at 6:11 AM, Grum said:

Hate to say it, but this is somewhat typical.

VFR owner cries for help, we all in good faith chip in to help out.

All we want is an answer back on the fix so we can all learn from the experience, sadly you never here the outcome.

Kinda pisses me off!:mad:

Yeah nothing more annoying.  It’s getting as bad as fb. Full of Pandas 🐼, eats, shoots and leaves.    

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, fink said:

Yeah nothing more annoying.  It’s getting as bad as fb. Full of Pandas 🐼, eats, shoots and leaves.    

Haha. Sounds like the Wombats we have over here, eats roots and leaves!

Archived