Ignition switch needed

VFRMike

• Member Contributer

I am hoping someone can assist with finding an ignition switch for my 2002 VFR.  Bike has been flawless for the 91K miles I've owned it but the ignition switch is not functioning.  When I try to turn the key to turn the bike on the key will not physically turn to the ON position, without trying for a couple of minutes.  I've put graphite in the switch and that made it feel like new except that it won't turn without many attempts.  I've tried eBay and have not found on OEM switch.  I located one (not OEM) from eBay that was supposed to fit but it was not correct.  If anyone has a lead on an ignition switch for my 2002 VFR, please let me know.

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

I've had various key sticking issues on bikes.  First thing you need is a good flush to get any built-up dirt/crud/graphite out of the tumblers, use WD40 if you like.  Then I'd use a light lube such as lock de-icer that may have some oil in it.  I wouldn't put graphite in that's usually more trouble down the road.

A worn key (or tumbler) will cause the tumbler not to be flush with the housing, thus it can't turn.  If that's an issue, sometimes you can remove the tumbler barrel, insert the key, and file the tumblers flush.

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, V4 Rosso said:

It is not the key that is worn a bit? Have you tried the spare key?

I have tried the spare key that is unused and came with the bike.  Same result.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, raYzerman said:

I've had various key sticking issues on bikes.  First thing you need is a good flush to get any built-up dirt/crud/graphite out of the tumblers, use WD40 if you like.  Then I'd use a light lube such as lock de-icer that may have some oil in it.  I wouldn't put graphite in that's usually more trouble down the road.

A worn key (or tumbler) will cause the tumbler not to be flush with the housing, thus it can't turn.  If that's an issue, sometimes you can remove the tumbler barrel, insert the key, and file the tumblers flush.

Hello raYzerman.  To be honest, I am consistently reading and being told (by my dealer) NOT to use WD40 as this will cause additional problems later on down the road.  All the "experts" are saying to use graphite liquid.

• Member Contributer

I've used both and they seem to work fine with no long term effects. Maybe it matters if it is something that is used a lot that it matters? 

• Member Contributer

You need to flush out the crud first.... WD40 is naptha and a very light oil.  Lock de-icer works, it will likely have alcohol as a solvent.  Lots of opinions what to use as a lube, use graphite if you want but preventative maintenance is a flush and then lube once a year.  Likely won't matter a lot what you use if you do this.  Ask a locksmith what he recommends.

Another suggestion........

https://3inone.com/product/3-in-one-lock-dry-lube/

Archived