A short ride Scotland to Wales

Hi! Back again, after a hard year and a somewhat difficult year, as I lost my Dad too. Decided to do a simple (regular) journey from mid scotland to south west wales to see Mum. Some 450 miles, just one way. 170 or so miles of that is 70mph motorway. The weather was the absolute best i could hope for, and the same on the way back. I do love this 2015 8th generation model - my white pearl, as i call her! (Actually now just Pearl! lol). That's the bike, not Mum! Ha. For those that don't know it, The Lake District, in northern England is always guaranteed to be wet. But NO!! Fab sunshine. And a great wee break. 🙂  Invited a pal along for the ride down only. He went off afterwards touring all over the place. What it is to be retired, eh? Road condition in Wales is always excellent, with great views and twisties. Had a great time through the nice roads of Wales he tells me. Although nowhere to stay?! Well, he did accidentally choose a bank Holiday weekend - and damn kids were off school, so everywhere was full.  😞  That's him next to his new....ahem...CB650R. As for me? Well, someone had to take the shot! 😁

IMG_1742.jpg

• Member Contributer

My sympathies on losing your father, never an easy time. Great that you could support your mum though.

Sounds like a great ride, I’m originally from Skipton so I know what the weather can be like in the Lake District and the North in general. Sounds like you got lucky.

Yes the eighth gens are great bikes , love mine too. Ride safe.

• Member Contributer

I feel for you losing Dad, tough times, but I'm glad you had perfect weather for your ride. 8gen on a lovely day, what could be better?

Sorry to hear about the tough year and losing your dad.  But glad you could get a great ride in to go see your mum.

I find riding to be the best possible way to get away from it all.  To say it's 'therapy' might be a minor insult to actual therapists, but it works for me.

Nice looking CB650R.  If I didn't already have a naked sporty bike this is one I'd be interested in.  🙂

22 hours ago, Philois1984 said:

My sympathies on losing your father, never an easy time. Great that you could support your mum though.

Sounds like a great ride, I’m originally from Skipton so I know what the weather can be like in the Lake District and the North in general. Sounds like you got lucky.

Yes the eighth gens are great bikes , love mine too. Ride safe.

Thank you soo much. In summary, he made 90 y.o. and was a good man and husband, a decent old-school bloke with insanely fantastic perfect handwriting!! A builder, taught me a lot of practical & mechanical shit, which has served me thru my life. He even stunned me back in the mid 80's, when out of the blue one day he said 'let me have a go on your bike' [CB550-K4] - he rode it all over the local streets like he was a pro!!! To my knowledge he'd only had a Vespa! Lol. I guess he was a dark horse. I never knew. I shall miss him.

SKIPTON!!?? haha. I used to get my cars from Leeds as they were often cheaper there; its where i got my fab Balckbird too. And I have a very good female friend from Garstang/Lancaster....all memories for you my boy! ha.  Still, you have that glorious weather all the time in Oz, and i was just damn lucky. My mate there in the pic is Philip and has 2 sisters in Oz, cant remember where....  I like your red viffer - looks fast just standing still! ha. Take care and many thnx again. 

22 hours ago, Grum said:

I feel for you losing Dad, tough times, but I'm glad you had perfect weather for your ride. 8gen on a lovely day, what could be better?

Hi Grum, again, thank you so much. I'm touched. I'm managing but Mum is the one struggling (she's Italian and with her cultural heritage will suffer now for the rest of her few remaining years in mourning. They were together for some 68 years). I wrote comments above to Philois1984, and would ditto them generally to you too if i may. Another red one! You guys there do like them and i nearly, almost had one but the deal fell thru. The white looks great and always get pple saying how nice/rare it is, but it shows every spec!!  Yes, indeedy a great sunny ride. Cant tell you how wonderful and rare that is here :)  Thnx again.

11 hours ago, TimC said:

Sorry to hear about the tough year and losing your dad.  But glad you could get a great ride in to go see your mum.

I find riding to be the best possible way to get away from it all.  To say it's 'therapy' might be a minor insult to actual therapists, but it works for me.

Nice looking CB650R.  If I didn't already have a naked sporty bike this is one I'd be interested in.  🙂

Again i say thnx everso much. really kind. A tough year indeedy, 4 serious things, all taking it's toll. But, let's be positive and look forward. Life as short as it may be, is what we make it. If we never think about our future, we won't have one! So, it's nice to be back here again. A good stress reliever i think. Oddly.... i have a clinic and work with Therapists!! hahaha. So funny you said that. True tho, riding is good as frees the mind as we concentrate on one thing only. A bike mag many years ago, did a scientific study which said biking is good for exercise, the brain, cardio, and health etc - Proven scientific evidence! A good excuse to tell your wife "i'm just going off to exercise".... haha.  Not ridden his CB650R yet, but i fear not going to like that constant blast of wind of a naked (ok at 30-50 maybe)... we'll see - next week probably. I'm too soft and like my screen comfort....and heated grips [my first]. ha. take care.  Love you pic of 100k! brilliant. what model? i think this bike is about ....12k! ha.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Bluehawk said:

Not ridden his CB650R yet, but i fear not going to like that constant blast of wind of a naked

I thought the same abotu the FZ-07, but the shape of the front did a great job at moving the air to the right places. 

On 9/9/2022 at 8:27 PM, Bluehawk said:

Again i say thnx everso much. really kind. A tough year indeedy, 4 serious things, all taking it's toll. But, let's be positive and look forward. Life as short as it may be, is what we make it. If we never think about our future, we won't have one! So, it's nice to be back here again. A good stress reliever i think. Oddly.... i have a clinic and work with Therapists!! hahaha. So funny you said that. True tho, riding is good as frees the mind as we concentrate on one thing only. A bike mag many years ago, did a scientific study which said biking is good for exercise, the brain, cardio, and health etc - Proven scientific evidence! A good excuse to tell your wife "i'm just going off to exercise".... haha.  Not ridden his CB650R yet, but i fear not going to like that constant blast of wind of a naked (ok at 30-50 maybe)... we'll see - next week probably. I'm too soft and like my screen comfort....and heated grips [my first]. ha. take care.  Love you pic of 100k! brilliant. what model? i think this bike is about ....12k! ha.

That was my 2004 6th gen, which I put another 1,000 miles on and then sold.  I miss it sometimes, but it went to a good home.  🙂

I'm on a 2020 BMW R nineT Pure now, having switched over to a naked bike.  I have a Dart "Classic" Flyscreen on the front which takes the wind blast off my chest at 60+ mph, but still leaves my head in the wind.  It's just a bit larger than the screen on your buddy's bike in the photo above (if I'm seeing it correctly).  The wind does get bothersome on the expressways after awhile, but I try to not ride those roads very often, and when I do for less than an hour when possible.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...
On 9/12/2022 at 2:06 PM, TimC said:

That was my 2004 6th gen, which I put another 1,000 miles on and then sold.  I miss it sometimes, but it went to a good home.  🙂

I'm on a 2020 BMW R nineT Pure now, having switched over to a naked bike.  I have a Dart "Classic" Flyscreen on the front which takes the wind blast off my chest at 60+ mph, but still leaves my head in the wind.  It's just a bit larger than the screen on your buddy's bike in the photo above (if I'm seeing it correctly).  The wind does get bothersome on the expressways after awhile, but I try to not ride those roads very often, and when I do for less than an hour when possible.

Cheers!

Well done! I've never ever had anything reach 100K! I didnt know what a BMW R nineT Pure is, so had to look it up. Nice! Very muscular looking and that upright stance will give a great easy feel. I eventually rode my pal's CB650R and whilst it is small, is a great upright thing for buzzing about & could chuck about wonderfully, feeling agile and safe. He has now bought a small (tinted) deflector screen, from AliExpress, which he tells me is much better keeping wind of his chest at speed but head still gets the wind, of course. Plus it has a bit of adjustment too [that's helpful]. We cant all like the same bikes, and that's what makes us enjoy this interesting sport/hobby/club, as we do. Getting back on my vfr 'Pearl' was much better.... ahhhh. and getting onto my Blackbird is better still [still fits like a glove -synchronicity - but now feels heavy - i am getting old!! Ha!]. Stay safe 

On 9/10/2022 at 2:39 AM, bmart said:

I thought the same abotu the FZ-07, but the shape of the front did a great job at moving the air to the right places. 

Yes. I've only seen the FZ range, and like the 7, not ridden it and it's nice, and i think there's new ones for 2023. Personally i still prefer screened, faired or semi faired bikes, but like any window shopping, no harm at all, whatsoever, in any way, shape or form, without a doubt, no harm in looking! ha!

Now got a new battery drainage problem on mine so going to check out comments on the forum...  Cheers

Archived