Bought an old Honda "super" bike

• Member Contributer
On 9/25/2022 at 1:12 AM, Jarkko796 said:

Did you clean carb "body" and nozzles with ultrasonic cleaner?

Hidden spot's will not get clean other way's..

I did put the disassembled carb body and all of the jets/nozzles and other misc parts into the ultrasonic cleaner for quite some time. Afterwards I used a can of compressed air and blew air through all of the passages, crevices, and jets to ensure they were clear of any obstructions.

• Member Contributer

We last left off with the bike running. I had topped off the tank with a Jerrycan to keep the fleshly cleaned tank brimmed with fuel to prevent any rusting and the bike sat for about a week in the garage.

When I came back to work on the bike I couldn't get it to run. It would start a little but stumble and die. I pulled the leg shield off to look around and noticed the fuel filters weren't really filling with fuel. I wasn't sure if maybe the fuel lines weren't routed correctly but the tank was the highest point by far so I can't imagine even a slight upwards bend would prevent fuel from flowing.

I opened the tank and peered inside. Looked fine. Both pick up tubes in there looked clear and unobstructed.

I tried again and the bike fired up. Fuel filters filling nicely. Not sure what was wrong. My only idea is that maybe the tank isn't venting well? With the tank filled to the brim and the bike sitting in a hot garage it built up some kind of pressure and prevented the fuel from flowing freely? 🤷‍♂️ Maybe?

Anyways, bike runs. I took the opportunity to shim that needle in the carb.

dO7m8UNm.jpg

E8eJP36m.jpg

I moved the clip one position up to its highest/leanest setting. It definitely feels smoother at part throttle now. An improvement for sure. Carb must be running a bit rich.

I took it for a cruise around town. Put about 20ks on it. Feels good.

One issue I'm having is when the bike is cold it won't start without messing with the throttle a bit. Once it starts I have to hold the throttle open a bit to keep it running until the motor warms up. After that it starts fairly easily.

After riding it for some time I hopped off and tried setting the air screw. First I turned the idle way down, and then started turning the air screw. Going too far in would upset the bike but no matter how many turns out it doesn't seem to make a difference. I think for some reason perhaps the slow jet is too large. 

image.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

So I've been riding the Super Cub a bunch. Haven't gone through a Full tank of gas yet. In the meantime I did some cosmetic stuff.

I had already replaced the horribly scratched and scored turn signal:

BEFORE:

Wa3QaeLl.jpg

I don't know how that happened.

AFTER:

iyIKZE6l.jpg

Much better 😎

Next was the headlight. It wasn't very clear and it had seen better days:

lHNN3OGl.jpg

The murkiness was on the inside of the headlight. I tried going in through the headlight bulb opening to clean it but didn't make much of a difference. Thankfully wife brought a spare from Japan. After some buffing I swapped the headlight out with a fresh bulb. 

anP9q2sl.jpg

Much better! But that front cover under the headlight with the yellowed white plastic and worn Super Cub Emblem is really bothering me. Researching how to restore faded white plastic apparently soaking in a solution of Comet powder helps. I tried that for a bit and it seemed to help a little. Another method was to rub a lemon all over the white plastic and leave it in the sun. That really seemed to do the trick.

I also added a new emblem I found quite cheaply from Amazon.jp:

BEFORE:
zzC5C8Sl.jpg

Comparison:
pZVItRql.jpg

AFTER:

EJyylEjl.jpg

Not too shabby if I do say so myself. The white isn't a perfect match to the Leg shield but it's much better I think. 😎

• Member Contributer
On 10/7/2022 at 4:37 PM, slowbird said:

Not too shabby if I do say so myself. The white isn't a perfect match to the Leg shield but it's much better I think. 😎

No-one looks at the mantle piece while poking the fire eh? .... :laugh:

Archived