Which Generation Power Commander?

98VFR

Question

So I've been looking for a while now, but can't seem to find any recommendations for which generation power commander would work best for my 98. The only one I can find new is the PC6, but the PC5 and 3 seem to have more OTS maps available. I'd scour for used ones if they are in fact better for the bike, but if I don't have to I'd rather just buy the new PC6.

Also, I don't plan on adding O2 sensors, so I won't need any of the auto tune capabilities.

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

4 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

From Dynojet I learned there are three PC3 versions:
101-411 5th gen 1998-1999
106-411 5th gen 2000-2001
111-411 6th gen 2002-2005
Your ‘98 should be fine with any of the 3 PC3’s. I have 111-411 on my '99 and worked fine with an older firmware (1.0.0.20). Recently I upgraded the firmware to 2.3.2.

You can try different maps and get different results and find one that works well on your bike.  But the general consensus is, get your bike dialed in by a trusted reputable dyno shop.

• Member Contributer

Problem is PC3 isn't available anymore except occasionally used, so PCV is best bet. Although here in CA it's illegal to even ship a PCV to a CA address, so I can't get either one! I have a PC2 available if you have a 2000-era computer with a serial port.

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, Tirso said:

From Dynojet I learned there are three PC3 versions:
101-411 5th gen 1998-1999
106-411 5th gen 2000-2001
111-411 6th gen 2002-2005
Your ‘98 should be fine with any of the 3 PC3’s. I have 111-411 on my '99 and worked fine with an older firmware (1.0.0.20). Recently I upgraded the firmware to 2.3.2.

You can try different maps and get different results and find one that works well on your bike.  But the general consensus is, get your bike dialed in by a trusted reputable dyno shop.

Assuming those versions all have the same plugs, I wonder what the differences are, because I'd always understood that the only differences between PCVs were the wiring harnesses.  Do the different part numbers reflect hardware differences, or just the firmware they come pre-loaded with?

Ciao,

JZH

Archived