DAM, The MBD Strikes Again

Hingley

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, squirrelman said:

allballs is cheap chinese commie trash maybe ok for head bearings, not for wheel bearings !

Great comment.  Luckily we weren't talking about wheel bearings at all.  

What kind of oil do you run?

You think it's ok to pop a dust seal on a Japanese wheel bearing and add some grease?

• Member Contributer

The problem with AllBalls is that they don't make bearings.  All they do is buy bearings from the "most economical" source and package them for retail. 

You could do the same thing, pay less and get higher quality bearings.  Your choice...

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

For many people in a steering head bearing application, the product meets their quality and price point target and is readily available from multiple sources.

• Member Contributer

Industry leaders like Timken source materials from all over - including China.  

Somewhat relevant - wheel RPM and load is less than we think so you rarely see very high end or exotic bearing types or materials in hubs.  

• Member Contributer

If you’re in the states and are particular about your bearings, Dubya USA stocks Japanese bearings that are supplied by a Japanese bearing importer across the street from them.

• Member Contributer
On 10/7/2022 at 10:23 PM, Captain 80s said:

For many people in a steering head bearing application, the product meets their quality and price point target and is readily available from multiple sources.

The same reason many people buy standard parts (like bearings, which Honda doesn't manufacture) from Honda.  However, there isn't the same concern over quality...

Ciao,

JZH

• 4 weeks later...

Well guys the Yellow bee finally made it home to the east coast, I must say I can see why guys with bikes from the west or dry parts of the country are always talking about their clean bikes

So far I can find very little rust or corrosion, amazing considering what I am use to seeing on a twenty year old bike from the east coast 30 miles from the Atlantic

I have started the list of service work needed, and as I thought ( at 30,000 miles ) I can see front wheel bearings, fork seals, steering stem bearings, etc, as well as new plugs, filters and a valve check with injector syn. etc

Question#1, I will ask can the front forks can be easily removed from the bike with the rear end strapped down to the floor,?

Or do I need to build a block and jack system under the engine ?

Question#2, The bike arrived with brand new skins on her and I was wondering if most of you guys have them balanced on a bubble balancer or go to a motorcycle dealer or tire shop with the proper adaptor for the rear wheel?

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Hingley said:

Question#1, I will ask can the front forks can be easily removed from the bike with the rear end strapped down to the floor,?

Or do I need to build a block and jack system under the engine ?

That will work.

My "garage" is the front garden, so I used a jack under the engine. I bought an ABBA stand since.

• Member Contributer

As Dutchy says, easy to do. I use a car jack with a small piece of wood on top then support the bike with it under the exhaust pipes.

• Member Contributer

You can rest the bike on the downpipes without damaging them.  With the bike on the center stand, I mean.

You can certainly achieve a very good balance with a manual stand of some kind--there is no benefit to spin balancers apart from speed.  That said, usually only the front wheel is very sensitive to balance.  I've run the rear without weights at all, back when I didn't have an adapter.  (You can make a simple adapter using shcedule 40 PVC pipe fittings.)

Ciao,

JZH

I was really wondering of the pipes under the motor can stand to have a support block on them for a period of time, good to know before I started cursing

if they can not stand the pressure

I am surprised that the Rear works ok without balancing, considering the single sided arm etc

I figured the front will pay off with a balancing, I will have to see if I can find a good bubble stand

Wish I had her serviced already, it should be about 32 degrees F and snow in the air but it is sunny and 70 degrees, strange fall, we are going to pay for this some day

Thanks Guys

• 3 weeks later...

Finally after dealing with hurricane Fiona damage and getting ready for winter here I have found time to put the 1999 restore project in its winter home.

IMG_4051.thumb.JPG.2b31765f1bf44ece65f53041038a23d7.JPG

Looks like I have some extra work to do as well, I had a quick look at the stator wires etc. and noticed they were dam warm on the final warm up for a winter oil/filter change.

I pulled the connectors apart and I would say there is signs of heat damage.

IMG_3999.thumb.JPG.fd7cdaa97965bffd145b084541a992b4.JPG

IMG_4002.thumb.JPG.15181d96a540960f7509f3f0d03ca2fb.JPG

And lastly I came across something I have heard of many times but nothing seen, a mouse nest on top of the air filter, I have to surmise that this nest was in the air box out west and hitched a ride here The little bugger was even chewing on the inside of the air box

IMG_4056.thumb.JPG.073c6bcaa6fb5a9d8876a58e1f7faaba.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Well today was a different one for sure, worked at cleaning out 40 years of pack ratting and started to see progress, if fact I got the itch to do what

Captain 80s had asked. ( Get the CB1 out in the daylight and see how she looks )

Well I did just that, I got her out of her long sleep  ( thought it was maybe 10 years but turns out it has been 17 years since I redid her).

In any case I am glad I dug her out , I installed the tank and tail section and had forgotten how good she looks with the paint combination, I was surprised to find the brakes are not stuck, the motor turned over great, One thing that struck me was that the 1989 CB1 and the 1990 VFR750 I have, both have the same amount of miles on them, 15,000km ( 9000 miles ). Maybe I will fire her up in the spring, but if I was smart I should sell it and stay focused on the VFR's

That bring up a good question

What have you guys seen these CB1's sell for?.

Are they collectable these days?

IMG_4092.JPG

IMG_4093.JPG

• Member Contributer

I'm on my 7th CB-1. They bring some coin with low miles and unmolested. With the custom work you've done, the buyer pool is likely to be much smaller. Still, people love them. Post on the CB-1 related sites. If you get an ad together, I can post on their mailing list for you. Amazing that it turned over adn the brakes worked!

Here's my current one, mostly set up for sport touring:

IMG_5107sm.thumb.jpg.168b89dd64c3f435a87361f307125c26.jpg

They've had other duties...

435-20n1200.thumb.jpg.2d166368c2940ea01d8068d422f830ba.jpg

844865236_DSC_5724copy.thumb.jpg.1d9f103ce97e08b506efc94c371ea249.jpg

20220925_110917.thumb.jpg.7ac704f4d382b417a1168cbbc819acfc.jpg

Archived