Front left calliper 5th gen

Mrbiggabit

Hi people 

Does anyone know if it’s possible to remove the front left calliper from its hanger without unbolting the short brake line which ties it to the hanger/2nd MC?
I would like to renew the slider pin rubber boots and lube the slider pins. 
The right calliper was no problem to overhaul but the left calliper seema tied up with that hose... I don’t want force it...if it’s not going to go back on .

Many thanks in advance

Javier

• Member Contributer

Sadly I don't think that is possible without pulling the hose off and then needing to spend hours bleeding the linked brake system. See if you can inject some silicone lube under the boot and wiggle the calliper around to distribute it. 

Thanks for the reply Terry 👍

In the past I’ve lubed the lefthand sliders by carefully using a pick to lift the boot and using silicon spray... but it’s not ideal and I feel like  I’m bodging  it.

Love the bike but hate bleeding  them linked brakes, recently I managed to replace  the right-side calliper’s (front circuit) piston seals while  it was still attached to the rear circuit hose - fortunately it was just the large pistons which were sticking and not the rear circuit activated centre piston.

I’m seriously thinking of going the de -link route due to the ball ache of working on these brakes. 

So much simpler to disconnect a calliper and work on it at the bench then just bleed a hose or two 👍

@Mrbiggabit Sadly no, There is no way to pull it off without disconnecting the hose. I know its frustrating

I would say to try and clean it best you can by gently lifting the boot as you already do. Can i ask why you are using silicone spray/lube? That is not the right lubricant for the sliders, unless you are willing to relube after every ride?

12 hours ago, ariesblade said:

@Mrbiggabit Sadly no, There is no way to pull it off without disconnecting the hose. I know its frustrating

I would say to try and clean it best you can by gently lifting the boot as you already do. Can i ask why you are using silicone spray/lube? That is not the right lubricant for the sliders, unless you are willing to relube after every ride?

Thanks for your input ariesblade

👍

Absolutely agree it’s the wrong lube for the slider pins. 

I found the correct grease Impossible to apply without removing the calliper from the hanger, which would require the short hose removal then bleeding the rear circuit and all that that entails! 

The calliper moves freely on the sliders and the tubber boots (though probably the originals) look in reasonable condition so will leave well alone for now

Will purchase a delink kit in order to not be held hostage to the rear bleeding ball ache whenever  one does simple brake maintenance 👍

• Member Contributer

I inject silicone grease using a syringe. Silcone grease is specified in the manual. 

image.thumb.png.8cd4f3cb01417f46c653aacffea42bfe.png

Not to say you are wrong @Terry but the manual is just as old as the bike 😉

Silicone Grease is fine, but there are better products out there nowadays. Just like how we dont tend to use copper grease anymore either.

Ceramic grease would be a very good alternative. and as for the hard to reach places @Mrbiggabit try applying some on a toothpick or a q-tip. Worked for me 🙂

if you use 2 toothpicks, you can use one to lift the rubber boot and the other to apply the grease 🙂

Goodluck!

• Member Contributer

Not only is the manual old, but I am also old too. I've never even heard of ceramic grease. 

My 2017 Yamaha MT-10SP service manual also specifies silicone grease for brake slide pins.

ceramic grease.

That sounds to me like when the Brit's talk about Red Grease for the brake rubbers,????

It is great to get old, things change, I remember when wheel bearing grease was used on everything, looked today at the old 400f race bike and it is 25 years since I was racing, god help me

• Member Contributer

I still have most of a pot of Europa LMOS grease. According to Wiki, the company was bought out and rebranded by BP in 1989...

I do like red rubber grease, just the thing for helping fork seals into their designated locations.

• Member Contributer

20220830_112135.thumb.jpg.49d3f5ebf4a0894328512ba169a74350.jpg

The pot of general purpose grease and tube of MoS2 grease not here atm...

The Copper Ease and BOOTS vaseline I bought in Scotland, back in 1989.....

• Member Contributer

I think that we need a new thread with pics of shelving and all of our stuff on it!

22 hours ago, ariesblade said:

Not to say you are wrong @Terry but the manual is just as old as the bike 😉

Silicone Grease is fine, but there are better products out there nowadays. Just like how we dont tend to use copper grease anymore either.

Ceramic grease would be a very good alternative. and as for the hard to reach places @Mrbiggabit try applying some on a toothpick or a q-tip. Worked for me 🙂

if you use 2 toothpicks, you can use one to lift the rubber boot and the other to apply the grease 🙂

Goodluck!

Thanks 👍

• Member Contributer

I did this recently and managed to separate the two parts.  It's just about possible without overstraining things IMHO.  Worth it if possible for the ability to properly clean sliders, pistons etc.  Red rubber grease works for me although not saying there's nothing superior.

• Member Contributer

I have a big tub of fancy ceramic brake grease for my truck I will never get through.  I would use it on the bike if I needed to do the sliders, mostly cause I have it.

Archived